Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im in the market for a Victory passenger backrest luggage rack. I know there was a recall on them. I already have the Victory passeneger backrest that has 2 holes each side. I see on ebay a few people are selling dirt cheap the luggage rack which appears to be 2 holed. The new one has 3 holes? If I buy a recall one, will Victory send me the fix/new one? Will a post recall rack fit the 2 holed backrest?

It actually seems a shitload of peeps are selly the pre recall luggage rack! How are they selling recalled parts?

********************* EDIT

Found most my answers in another post!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealer will most certainly order you the new pars at no charge. Buy a rack on fleabay, attach it to the backrest and you're good.

I bought the rack and backrest combo and turned them in for the new ones.

They're getting away with selling recalled parts because all the buyers are happy to swap them for the new ones.

You can only get one set as they log in your VIN at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Your dealer might do the recall on a two hole but the recall only affects backrests
that have had Victory racks installed. If a creative person were to obtain a two hole backrest that person may feel the need to put bolts through the holes and tighten them enough to mar the chrome. If this was done and the person did not have the rack to go with the backrest the person may have to inform the dealership that the rack was removed after being damaged or was sold.

If you are able to get a three hole backrest you would have to purchase a three hole rack in order to make everything fit as the factory intended. If that doesn't concern you the holes in the two hole rack are slightly closer together than the holes in the three hole rack so you could elongate the holes in a two hole rack to make it fit a three hole backrest.

If you have a two hole backrest and a two hole rack the dealer should replace both with three hole versions.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had a 2 hole setup when I bought my XC, and it had a billit rack some guy had built for him (was actually pretty cool, looked almost like a top fuel wing). When I asked about the recall, my dealer ordered me a new backrest and a Vic rack.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Yes , if you have the 2 hole backrest , with a matching two hole rack , the dealer will give you a new backrest AND a 3 hole matching new rack .... Buy the rack on ebay , mount it up , then bring it to the dealer and they will give you the new stuff . A new 3 hole rack by itself is 500.00 !:crzy:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will call my dealer tuesday and see if there will be a prob. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Best of luck! Hopefully your dealer will help you out.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
All you guys with the lock and ride backrest , evidently when I pulled mine off last week the rubber end on the front mounting leg pulled out of the backrest and stayed on the mounting bushing on the bike and flew off somewhere and I lost it ! :mad: WTF ! I'm calling the dealer this morning to see if it is available as a replacement part , I say , it sure as hell better be , these backrests are 500.00 . So , when you pull off your backrest , make sure the front rubber feet are off with it and not stuck on the bike ....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Print this out and take it to your dealer when you make the swap:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ucm445229/rcrit-13e048-9325.pdf

This document lists both backrest part numbers (black and chrome) as well as both luggage rack part numbers (black and chrome) that are included in the recall.

Don't let the dealers give you the runaround.

Here's my experience with 3 different dealers in my area when trying to swap out my luggage rack.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=120289

1 - 9 of 9 Posts