Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 XR Classic with a Lock n Ride windshield. At highway speeds I am getting dirty air. its not buffeting from the front but more like wind chattering, swirling from the side. Bounces my glasses around and loosened the screws on my helmet visor. If I had to guess I would say its coming from the area below. I have installed the fork leg deflectors which helped a little but the problem persists. I would really appreciate any input or suggestions. I'm sure many others have experienced this.
Thanks, Tim

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I have a 2013 XR Classic with a Lock n Ride windshield. At highway speeds I am getting dirty air. its not buffeting from the front but more like wind chattering, swirling from the side. Bounces my glasses around and loosened the screws on my helmet visor. If I had to guess I would say its coming from the area below. I have installed the fork leg deflectors which helped a little but the problem persists. I would really appreciate any input or suggestions. I'm sure many others have experienced this.
Thanks, Tim
On my Crosscountry, one of these eliminated the head shaking. https://www.badacebillet.com/product-page/center-fork-deflector-victory-xc-w-abs-magnum-xr-classic-w-abs-bab-411-center

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
A 7Jurock w/s, the same height as a factory medium, gave me a lot cleaner air. It has a flip at the top and no cutouts on the bottom sides. Very good protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering about the cutouts. They really don't make sense at all. May try covering the cutouts to see if it helps. Also ordered the triple tree deflector mentioned above. Can't hurt to try.

Thanks, Tim

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I was wondering about the cutouts. They really don't make sense at all. May try covering the cutouts to see if it helps. Also ordered the triple tree deflector mentioned above. Can't hurt to try.

Thanks, Tim
It made a substantial difference for me. I would like to try the fork mounted deflectors alongside the tree mounted one. Some day I'll have spare money for bike farkles. :laugh

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
After installing the 7Jurock without those lower cutouts, I noticed less wind on my hands. I keep the fork mounted wind deflectors on the year 'round. I took them off the first summer I had the bike and the wind would lift my feet off the boards at highway speeds. They went back on - permanent like.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You may try taking the visor off your helmet. One helmet I have with one worked fine, the other didn't. Even with it off it's not my best helmet for buffeting.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I have both the shorty and medium OEM windshields and I much prefer the shorty. Still get that dirty air from underneath but not as bad as the medium windshield is. The turbulence is so bad with either one of them I can't wear a half helmet because it shakes my glasses all around. Been wearing a full face since I got my XR 6 years ago because of the "tank air" and got so used to a FF that I won't go back to a half helmet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have both the shorty and medium OEM windshields and I much prefer the shorty. Still get that dirty air from underneath but not as bad as the medium windshield is. The turbulence is so bad with either one of them I can't wear a half helmet because it shakes my glasses all around. Been wearing a full face since I got my XR 6 years ago because of the "tank air" and got so used to a FF that I won't go back to a half helmet.
That's exactly how Ifeel. Went for a 100 mile ride today, started to think i was getting blurred vision. I am convinced it is the dirty air from below. I order the triple tree deflector. At this point I'm almost willing to try anything. I'm even considering getting my old TC out of mothballs.

Tim

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Those of you getting the triple tree wind deflector, tell us how it worked for you after you try it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Surely others have experienced this annoying "head shake" while riding at highway speeds. There has to be thousands of Vics with lock n ride screens. Chime in guys, tell us how to get rid of this annoying issue.

It's very obvious Polaris didn't do any wind tunnel testing!!!

Tim

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you Tim, but my XR never did that even with the OEM w/s. If you are getting head shake, there are a number of things to check for, loose steering head bearings being one. Mine loosened shortly after buying the bike- I guess they "settled" a bit. Later, I upgraded to tapered rollers top and bottom and those settled too after some miles. I do like the feel that bearing upgrade provides. It makes the time and effort to do that well worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,146 Posts
Surely others have experienced this annoying "head shake" while riding at highway speeds. There has to be thousands of Vics with lock n ride screens. Chime in guys, tell us how to get rid of this annoying issue.

Tim
Yessssss i bought a CCT and the windscreen was stock, so a full face helmet my head was shacking so much it gave me a headache .... Cut the screen down coz i dont like looking trough it, still same .... Bought a "pot" helmet or whatever the name is (never had one) and no more head shaking ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
483 Posts

Tim
Did you try taking the visor off your helmet? Being a man with every style helmet I can tell you they don't all ride the same. Some cut air perfectly but some don't. My most recent one I bought is a Victory Shortie helmet with a visor. With the visor on I had terrible shake. Especially when I kicked my legs out for cruising because then more air rushed up my legs over my chest and to the helmet. Keep in mind this is on a Vision, which was developed in a wind tunnel. I took off the visor and it is much better.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Oopsie...I misunderstood the headshake you were referring to. But it's still a good thing to check and adjust the steering head bearings. Re the shaking noggin...I have no fixes. It never happened to me.

·
13,040 Posts
If your riding with helmet try using a different one and see if that makes a difference

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 18 of 18 Posts