Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi sorry if this subject has already been done to death. If so please direct me to some info. I just bought a 2007 kingpin and live in an apt. After they saw that I had chained it to the front porch I was asked to put it into the parking lot. I saw there is a place to put a lock that will lock the steering to the left. I also have a chain but didn't know how radical to get here.

Thoughts on an adequate way to secure my bike?

Thanks
John Indianapolis

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
You're venturing into controversial territory. Steering locks can be broken by any average person - give the handlebars a strong jolt, or a kick, and it's broken. The steering locks and disk locks are only good until you forget to take it off and try to take off. By then it's too late and you have to collect yourself and the bike from the pavement. If you get a disk lock, make sure you get one with a disk lock reminder.

If a thief wants your bike and is unable to unlock a simple disk lock or steering lock, that thief is a liability to himself/herself. A lock can be picked in seconds by any amateur. And to assume someone would try to steal a bike and have no knowledge of lock picking is just ridiculous. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

You can find locks everywhere and anywhere. The links below should get you started.

Disk Lock: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/74/2740/ITEM/Bully-Lil-Bully-Disc-Lock.aspx

Disk Lock Reminder: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/74/9974/ITEM/Kryptonite-Disc-Lock-Reminder.aspx

·
Registered
755 Posts
Lol at crossroads. I'd like to at least give the thieves a little challenge. I rather have them work on my lock for a while versus just putting the bike in neutral and walk away with it.
You can have a million dollar bank vault and somebody out there with the skills will break in to it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it

Duh! I don't know why I type before googling something.

Got it will order one. No need to chain the thing huh?

Thanks
JH

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep`

well I figured it may be full of land mines.

I have to use this damn car port for now so just wanted some advice on what would be prudent. Thinking more of kids wanting to move it etc rather than someone who has done this before.

I have a chain that I can put on it say through the wheel or swing arm and around a 6 x6 post that holds up the car port. Would that be better?

Thanks
John

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
If the chain is coated (so it won't scratch) and long enough, go through the back and front wheels and around the carport post.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Johnah, if you are going to buy a disc lock, get one that has a brightly colored lanyard that hooks to a grip. That greatly reduces the chance you'll try to ride off without removing the disc lock.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Good insurance is probably the single best security device though.
Bbob is right. My advice to all: Get full coverage, especially on a newer bike or car. A friend very seriously wrecked his newish bike and foolishly didn't have collision coverage, now he's going to be out $5K to $7K when he could have bought it for well under $100. Never go without comprehensive. Have that on a vehicle that isn't being used. I have known of garage fires that destroyed project vehicles and home owners' and/or building insurance doesn't cover the loss,but comp will. Comp covers most anything that happens to a vehicle that you don't cause, including theft.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have full coverage with exact replacement cost. Also I bought a long shackle padlock with a rubber coated body and use the tabs provided on the fork and frame. When I leave it overnight at my apt, I use the padlock and also put the bike cover on it.
Usually though I get it back to my storage unit and secure it there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts