Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

got a 2011 CC with the passenger back rest, and plan to purchase the touring trunk. My question, is there a locking pin that can be used to lock the rest or trunk so it can't be borrowed by someone in the middle of the night. I checked Victory website with no luck. Maybe some of you use something else that would work for me. I did put a small padlock, but concerned that the lock will cause damage to the paint on the fender and Bag because it is a tight fit. Any help, Suggestions would be greatly appriciated...:)

latts

·
13,262 Posts
I had a harley with a quick release trunk and would just bring it in the room.
In stead of a lock hows about a allen bolt and nut. Most ass holes don't carry that kinda tool with them.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I had a harley with a quick release trunk and would just bring it in the room.
I personally hate to carry helmets around, never mind bike accessories.
In stead of a lock hows about a allen bolt and nut. Most ass holes don't carry that kinda tool with them.
Good idea, but then it's no longer a quick release.

If you're going to ride with the backrest on for just a quick ride either bring the backrest with you, either leave it unlocked. If you're going to have it on for a longer period of time, just lock it with a very small lock. It's not like it will be easy for someone to sit there and pick your lock or try to cut it between the saddlebag and fender. You can always remove the saddlebag to lock/unlock the backrest. But then this does somewhat negate the "quick release" feature.

Even though the backrest is way overpriced by Victory, once someone steals one and tries to sell it as used, they'll probably not get anything more than $100 for it. So, you have to accept that a thief will not invest too much time in taking off with a $100 item that he then needs to sit on 'till he sells.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I to have been thing about this. I keep forgetting to go to a lock smith to see if they can get some kind of barrel lock.

·
13,262 Posts
Don't be scared about every day riding. Your never really that far from the bike. The only time I think about stuff walking away is at a motel but then I park as close to the front door as I can. Ask for a room that you can see your bike from.
I have left my helmet on my bike for lunch or for walking around in little shops and never had a problem.
Besides not many want parts of our bikes.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
The lock for the trunk is a pair of bolts that go on before the saddlebags. It keeps the quick release mechanism from working. You have to pull the saddlebag(s) to remove them though.

The bad news is that it's not that hard to reach the quick detach pin lock for the bags so someone could easily pop the pin with a dime or washer and take out the locking bolts.

The answer to that dilemma is Brukus Saddlebag Secure and I have no affiliation with them other than to help them in the product testing of the keyed torx bolts and keepers. I only use one in each bag on the back end because I feel it gives enough security. They come with all 4 though.

That reminds me; I need to ask them if they are coming out with the kickstand foot for Vic's...

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Without actually having seen what it is you are needing, what about a coupler hitch lock?

Something like this maybe?

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
You can see in this pic how the saddlebag makes the bolt hard to get at and the thief would need to know to take it out. In the second pic is the bolt next to the stock saddlebag pin and the Brukus bolt. We talked about including a bolt in the kit but so far it isn't something they want to do. Maybe later if people ask about it.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
That was helpful, BBob. Thanks for the pics.

As you said, it makes it hard to figure out how to get the back rest off. If a thief wants to invest that much time into getting away with your back rest, why not take something else apart, like the whole seat? The seat's only 2 screws away, and as long as they know where they are, a seat should be much easier prey. Then there's other easy stuff to remove of the bike, like the mirrors, license plate frame, etc.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If a thief would apply his/herself to working they would have more spare time and probably more $$$ to spend.
Addicts do not care, they get what they can when they can.
Once they become a thief a habit (or addicted) gets formed and most can not seem to break it.
I am a alcohol and drug counselor so I deal with them every week, some are really hardcore and just do not care.
Rarely will you have this problem when parked with a lot of bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts