Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody figured out a way to lock the soft bags on the XR?

Something that looks good would be nice.. I don't like having stuff in unlocked bags.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
I haven't but just thinking about how I might do it might spark a thought or two from you or others.

Something like this could be used and folded up and out of sight when not in use and the silver loop could be painted black to blend in.

Or, if it's for something fairly small to be kept secure, you could go with a lockbox and bolt it to the bottom and/or side of the bag.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first picture was what I've been thinking of, some sort of hinge lock thing... right in the center, gotta think it through. I'm going to figure out something, seems like a no-brainer to have a lock on bags to deter simple pilfering. I'm hoping someone has come up with something that works and looks decent. Seems like most owners got the hard bags.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The first picture was what I've been thinking of, some sort of hinge lock thing... right in the center, gotta think it through. I'm going to figure out something, seems like a no-brainer to have a lock on bags to deter simple pilfering. I'm hoping someone has come up with something that works and looks decent. Seems like most owners got the hard bags.
Sheesh, just working the latches that come with it should be enough to stop that. Sometimes I give up.

The Road King Classic also comes with unlockable leather side cases. I was at a rally once and saw a vendor selling key locks for those. Not sure if you had to buy them installed in a bag or if they would sell them separately as I wasn't all that interested in baggers at the time.

These look even better:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/406-589?utm_source=none&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&gclid=CL3mo_m-n7UCFcZDMgodgnEAUQ

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that seems like it would work, thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Those locks look awesome! I have been wondering about this myself, and was considering buying the hard bags or finding someone who would trade their hard bags for my leather ones PLUS the bag bars... Great find!:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Agree...great find. Was pondering the same thing.

Thanks for the post!thumb up

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great find well done

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great find

Although they are made for HD I can't see why the wouldn't work on our bikes.

I am very interested in these but wont get a chance to try them for a couple of weeks as I am away.

If someone else gets and installs them please post an update.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ponderosa saddlebag locks

I have now installed the Poderosa saddlebag locks on my XR

The Ponderosa buckles are wider than our straps (the ones that the quick release buckles attach to) and alhough I am sure they would work OK but I decided to have the staps replaced to fit them. A local shoe maker charged me 50 bucks to change the straps and install the new Ponderosa buckles with rivets.

All in all I am pretty satisfied with them. Even with the bags locked it is still possibe to force you hand up inside the bag on the sloping side and maybe take out small objects. I intend to keep my saddlebag linders in the bags and keep all my valueables zipped in the liners. I pretty sure that they will be safe unless someone cuts the straps with box cutter or similar. This is the reality of soft bags but I guess nothing is absolutely safe from a dertermined thief and hard bags can be jimmied with a screw driver or at least damaged in an attempt.

The locks are only a two digit combination but you can set a different combo on each lock so it will take the right four numbers to open any saddlebag.

The combo locks are hard to see in the dark but I have the nifty flashlight app on my iPhone so it should not be a problem.

All in all I would give the Ponderosas a 7/10

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes thanks! food for thought...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts