Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering. how you guys in cold climates handle not getting to ride for months on end? I've been down for two weeks so far with a torn calf muscle, and I can't stand it! :(

·
13,177 Posts
Striper's booze fist full of sleeping pills :ltr:

I tor a muscle in my leg here a couple years ago and couldn't left it up onto the floor board so I understand.
I wax and cleaned the bike so it looked better then new all from a little stool.
You'll be better before you know it Good Luck thumb up

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang VJ, and that probably happened in the spring to you as well? Man, I can't hardly stand it! I have had my new bars here for three days, and they aren't on the bike yet! That's unheard of!

·
Premium Member
13,641 Posts
I feel for ya man. I pulled a hamstring a month or so ago. It was a couple of weeks before I could throw a leg over a bike. Between not riding and the pain; it was no fun at all. Fortunately (I think) I had the flu at about the same time and did a lot of sleeping during the first week. Maybe that's why it healed quicker than previous times I've pulled it.

Thankfully the forums kept me going. If I couldn't ride at least I could read and write...

·
Registered
130 Posts
By riding every waking moment in a 5 mo.season.78,000 mi.,42 states in 5 summers or 25 mos. I average >15k per year.I'll put over 10k in 3 weeks vacation.I have a co. vehicle so don't commute so it's all for pleasure.I couldn't afford to ride all year long.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Yeah, we have to hibernate a while here in the Northwet, but we don't have to abide California politics and taxes. Not a bad trade off, I think. Dry days are more special to us and we take advantage of them. Today was one of them and you bet I went riding.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You had a sun break today? It was nice here today for sure, I'm having withdrawals man!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
You had a sun break today? It was nice here today for sure, I'm having withdrawals man!
When you are better and back on the bike all will be well with the world.
I go through chemo treatments for months at a time. They leave me with no energy and it takes at least another month to regain enough strength just to go on a very short ride. Surely, you can handle your situation...it could be a lot worse. Stop whining. :crzy:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are correct sir, it could certainly be worse; much worse.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey guys, I was wondering. how you guys in cold climates handle not getting to ride for months on end? I've been down for two weeks so far with a torn calf muscle, and I can't stand it! :(
November through March there is snow on the ground here. Even October and April get the occasional sprinkle so I have a lot of additional hobbies. But mostly its just a really long depressing 6 months.

·
Registered
76 Posts
But in the north we can walk on water! Ice fishing we call it! There are other ways to keep the riding spirit alive. It makes the Honey Do list much easier when the bike cannot be ridden, must keep the spousal unit happy so she does not look for things for me to do when I can ride. Balance my friend.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
November through March there is snow on the ground here. Even October and April get the occasional sprinkle so I have a lot of additional hobbies. But mostly its just a really long depressing 6 months.
I can't imagine it. I at least get to ride to work on average probably 45 weeks out of the year, that's with three weeks vacation taken off the top, so 48 weeks on a good year, 45 on a really wet year. I won't leave for work in the rain, I'll drive my dually, cause most So Cal peeps can't drive when the road gets wet for some reason.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But in the north we can walk on water! Ice fishing we call it! There are other ways to keep the riding spirit alive. It makes the Honey Do list much easier when the bike cannot be ridden, must keep the spousal unit happy so she does not look for things for me to do when I can ride. Balance my friend.
If I lived there I'd have to have a snow mobile, or a razor with a heater. Or something! I'm not much of a fisherman, but I used to have a fondness for the schnapps! And I concur on the balance;)

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I lived in SoCal for about 4 years and got so damn tired of the same weather day after day. Also got tired of the crowds and traffic and politics. Missed the seasons, so moved back to the Northwet. Yeah, it rains. But that rain is what makes up our lovely rivers and lakes and green forests and snow capped mountains and the purest drinking water in the nation. Yep, Portland's tap water is purer than the bottled stuff! Not like that chlorine you have to take in. Been there, done that.
Winter is when I put the bike on the lift and do the projects I thought up during the riding season. Winter is when, like MNbill, I help pretty wife with house projects. Winter is for reading, theater, dining out and visiting friends. Although I am passionate about motorcycles and riding, life is so much more than that one dimension my friend.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i had big plans to tear my bike down for the winter and do all the stuff i wanted to, but then i ended up not going a week without riding(very warm winter), so much for that idea.

now i got two so one can be torn down and i can still ride but am to broke to actually do anything now, its a viscous cycle.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i had big plans to tear my bike down for the winter and do all the stuff i wanted to, but then i ended up not going a week without riding(very warm winter), so much for that idea.

now i got two so one can be torn down and i can still ride but am to broke to actually do anything now, its a viscous cycle.
I hear ya on that! I have two, but I rarely ride the other one. Mostly it's just for my step son to ride when he's over. It's that once you ride a Vic ya can't go back thing.:) Some day I'll have to get another Vic in the stable.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I hear ya on that! I have two, but I rarely ride the other one. Mostly it's just for my step son to ride when he's over. It's that once you ride a Vic ya can't go back thing.:) Some day I'll have to get another Vic in the stable.
I was wonderin if that was your ladies bike...

Sorry you are still down for the count. I crutched around for months with a cracked hip- I know from where you speak my friend...

I'm thinkin of getting a duel sport for a back up bike... a triumph tiger... maybe I won't put quite so many miles on the XR...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Vulcan was my first bike back after a long time off, boat racing took all my time. I like that thing, and I still rode it after getting the xr, but after a while just couldn't get on it anymore. I'd like to sell it and get a hard ball, or a high ball, to go with the xr.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts