Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I've got the cursed long oval shaped head that I can never seem to find a decent fitting helmet that does not put that dreaded pressure on my forehead that is painful after an hour or more of riding. I'm currently using an HJC IS 33 in a size xxl that is wide on the sides and moves around on my head too much and an LS2 393 that fits better but still has the dreaded pain in the forehead.

I'm getting frustrated as it seems the only option is the super pricy Arai helmets and they don't make modular or 3/4 helmets. There must be something better in the $200 price range that's either 3/4 or modular?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I've been through helmet hell over the years because of the long oval shape of my head. I tried many including Arai and Icon that are supposed to fit for a long oval head....For me none of these have worked, when I size correctly with them I still got bad pressure points on my back or fore head, like you sizing up just makes them loose. Over the last few years I've mainly been using a Daytona Cruiser in Large as a 3/4 and its been damn comfortable. For full face I have a Bell Qualifier XL that fits fine and has given me no comfort issues....But by far the most comfortable, best fitting helmet I've used is the Shoei Qwest in XL I picked up this year. The Qwest is a gem.... Funny thing is none these helmets are rated as "long oval" in fact the Shoei was stated to be for rounder heads :confused: but they work great for me.

Here's a vid I made were you can get a good look at my head for comparison to yours and you can see and hear about the helmets.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Bloke related a tale of using half a watermelon so he could get a lady on the back...gave her his being a gentleman...:grin

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Check helmet reviews on www.webbikeworld.com

In thier helmet reviews they identify helmet shape, shell sizes, and pretty much everything you should need to make a good choice on an online purchase.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the recommendations guys, Ive found even the sizing charts are way off on some. For example The Bell EVO revolver is supposed to be long oval but is certainly not.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations guys, Ive found even the sizing charts are way off on some. For example The Bell EVO revolver is supposed to be long oval but is certainly not.
You cant mail order a motorcycle helmet and seriously expect the fit to be correct.
If it is its more luck than anything.'
You need to try them on and have the help of a salesperson who knows his/her stuff.
My mate has a helmet business and last one I got off him wouldve ended up too loose If I hadnt taken his good advice that they bed in after a while and a helmet that feels right straight up will end up being loose over time.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
if you have to mail order

Agree with Motorbikerx. But if you have to order on line....... maybe try on several friends helmets to see if you like the fit and make of a certain helmet. Then order that one on line. It is still a gamble, two exact same helmets, same make and size can feel different when you put them on.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I have to also have agree with @Motorbikerx.... on-line ordering of things you need to fit your body never works unless you get lucky(like when I dropped $70 on my Daytona Cruiser...lol). I go to Cycle Gear to try on motorcycle gear, then I get them to price match.

Reactions: Speedblue

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Excellant fit

VJ , that large black helmet might just fit my big head perfect!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts