Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://longrideshields.com/products/rambler?variant=40261393609

Looks like a nice Poly Shield for $100. Is this not the best deal for under $100 you have seen? From what I have heard the Clockwerks rates a little low. Maybe the Gusta one on the high end side for Acrylic at $250 Then there is the Madstad , very little real word info on the Magnum model.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Figures.. I bought my Long Ride Shield last fall for more. :) I do like it tho. I had tried SEVERAL different shields before I bought the tallest one LRS makes.. and I got it a bit too tall. It's not too high that I can't use it.. but I think 1" or maybe even 2" would have worked better. Either way, once I put it on I can actually ride and enjoy the bike. Even the wife commented on how much quieter/less buffeting she got behind ME with the new shield.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Dang. I clicked on the link and there were two words at the top in red letters: Sale Over

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Dang. I clicked on the link and there were two words at the top in red letters: Sale Over
Yeah; they do it randomly on their shields. This one was on sale for $72 for the 11", $76 for the 13" and so on.

Edit: 7Jurock does the same thing so if you're in the market for one of those two shields; check their sites daily until you catch the sale on the one you want. As you can see it can add up to significant savings. BTW; both of these companies use to make economy shields. Now they charge about as much as anyone else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just clicked on that link and it says "SALE EXTENDED THROUGH FRIDAY"

Now to decide what length to buy, I currently have the stock 18 inch. Any suggestions, I'm 5'9" with a 32 inch inseam?

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
It has more to do with your torso than your inseam length. One way you decide what height/length is best for you is to put a little piece of tape on the inside of your current shield then while riding in your usual position (some ride a little hunched; some ride straight up) take the tape and put it right below your line of sight looking straight down the road. Measure that then go an inch or two lower. That will be the height you want normally due to the recurve at the top of the shield. If you wear a helmet and what kind of helmet with or without a face shield may make a difference too.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I just clicked on that link and it says "SALE EXTENDED THROUGH FRIDAY"
Hot damn! Now I have an excuse to replace the one I have that I put a big scratch in (because I was too excited to open the box like a normal person)...

·
Registered
602 Posts
so 7JuRock or Longshields....any preference as to which one is better quality?

tks,

Rob

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ordered a 13" yesterday, $91.40 shipped. This will be the third windshield I've bought, to go along with the two that came with the bike. <sigh>

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
so 7JuRock or Longshields....any preference as to which one is better quality?
IMHO they are about equal.

Ordered a 13" yesterday, $91.40 shipped. This will be the third windshield I've bought, to go along with the two that came with the bike. <sigh>
If it makes you feel better I too have a handful of shields on shelf out in the garage. I bet I have up to $700 in them; maybe $900 if we include the KP shields thanks to a so-called friend crashing it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
LOL thanks BBob...i've decided to go with the longshields...

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm interested in one of these but have reservations about the 'flip' on top. I would have thought this would have created turbulence. Anyone using one at present and can comment on how it performs?

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
The flip or recurve simply allows for a shorter shield to give more viewable area without a shield to look through by directing the flow of air higher. The faster the speed the less effective it is in redirecting that flow of air because the push from the oncoming air overcomes the redirected flow upwards..

The downside is it also gives a blurry area to see through. It depends on the shield as far as how blurry and how wide the blurry strip is in the recurve. Generally it's below the normal field of vision so it's no biggie but every once in a while you want to see something right where that dang blurry strip is.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks BBob - good info! I'm tossing up whether to trim 2 inches off the top of my standard XCT screen or just keep it stock, put it away and try an aftermarket one. Living in Australia, the issue I have with sourcing an aftermarket screen is the shipping cost.

Even at this great price, the Longride shield would cost me a fair packet as the shipping cost to Oz is actually more than the purchase price of the screen, so about US$150 shipped which means about AUD$200.

Decisions, decisions!

Russ.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Just bought a 14" Clear. $91.40 shipped. This, too, will be my third including the Tour windshield and the 13" that came with the Madstad.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yup I bought a 15 inch clear for 91.40 as well ...118 canuck bucks....8) great deal

Rob

1 - 20 of 42 Posts