Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There was a guy that said he wasn't getting good mileage and lost performance. He found this. Maybe we should share more of what these guys are finding

Attachments

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I don't do facebook or any other social media besides this forum so not really sure what is going on in pic #2. Bad oxygen sensor or something? The first pic is kind of scary.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
What is the second picture item?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Looks like a swing-arm bolt. Possibly where the rear tip-overs mate-up with the frame. Looks like the person slammed the bike down and broke the support bolt.

·
Super Moderator
4,968 Posts
Replaced the crap plastic brake and shifter bushings with brass bushings. The slop in the levers was getting extreme.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
That bolt in the first picture was over-torqued at some point and cracked it. Rusted out in the center with only the edges hanging on before the break.

As far as long term problems go I'd say my left shoulder and lower back.
Nah mate, just real BAD quality bolts & nuts are used on the vics, see the broken off piece ? Thats all white oxidized .... Crazyyyyy , also the rim shafts rust like that, even the engine bolts & nuts oxidate ... The exhaust is hanging of that bolt, so if this guy had loose exhaust flange bolts, all the pressure will be on that cheap ass bolt ...

I had jap bikes standing in the snow & rain & sun, all year long, ride 6 days a week .... and the bolts looked better then on these vics , garage kept .... Ha ha ha

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Might be helpful to others to identify each situation with more information etc? What does the photo depict ? What model, year, mileage, etc and what was done about it?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
My bike has a bad fuel tank. I keep filling it but it slowly empties over the course of 200 miles.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Nah mate, just real BAD quality bolts & nuts are used on the vics, see the broken off piece ? Thats all white oxidized .... Crazyyyyy , also the rim shafts rust like that, even the engine bolts & nuts oxidate ... The exhaust is hanging of that bolt, so if this guy had loose exhaust flange bolts, all the pressure will be on that cheap ass bolt ...

I had jap bikes standing in the snow & rain & sun, all year long, ride 6 days a week .... and the bolts looked better then on these vics , garage kept .... Ha ha ha

Andre using TaPaTaLk

Not likely. That bolt is not aluminum nor does the galvanizing plating (a surface coating treatment) process put zinc into the metal, it sits on the surface. That red is rust = steel. Oxidization = oxygen = air. Air needed to get into the center of that bolt to make it rust. It was cracked/flawed. On the piece of the bolt/stud still in the bike the rust goes right to the edge on the bottom. The shiny part is the separation of the only metal that was still holding it together. Left alone it will rust as well. Any white oxidization would be confined to the outside surface and only if it had been coated with a protective layer. You can also get a silvery looking separation of metal when really cheap pot metal has been used but that's not seen on high stress pieces. It's a metal best left for decorative attachments and Hot Wheels.

In my opinion of course.

·
13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hard part now will be getting the swingarm off and whats left of the bolt out

·
Premium Member
13,172 Posts
My bike has a bad fuel tank. I keep filling it but it slowly empties over the course of 200 miles.
Simple solution. Get a Mr. Fusion. See the movies "Back to the Future" for reference.

I've been wanting one of those for my truck that likes to slurp gas a little too much.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Not likely. That bolt is not aluminum nor does the galvanizing plating (a surface coating treatment) process put zinc into the metal, it sits on the surface. That red is rust = steel. Oxidization = oxygen = air. Air needed to get into the center of that bolt to make it rust. It was cracked/flawed. On the piece of the bolt/stud still in the bike the rust goes right to the edge on the bottom. The shiny part is the separation of the only metal that was still holding it together. Left alone it will rust as well. Any white oxidization would be confined to the outside surface and only if it had been coated with a protective layer. You can also get a silvery looking separation of metal when really cheap pot metal has been used but that's not seen on high stress pieces. It's a metal best left for decorative attachments and Hot Wheels.

In my opinion of course.
Exactly
.. ....

I am not sure why you say "not likely" as all the above is correct .... your post & my post ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
seats

To me the seats do not hold up like they should. The stock first seat that came on the bike I had it recovered only after 2 or three years. Now in all fairness I do ride the bike almost every day. The Jap bikes I bought used ten years old+ and the seats were still factory, no tears etc. Now the Goldwing I bought had the seat eaten off by cows, ha, ha. So the first seat I had recovered, it lasted a good long time. Now I have got a Mustang seat a Daytripper, narrower than stock lets me sit lower to the ground. The electrical switch controls on my bike corroded up inside way to soon after about a year the way I remember it I had to take them apart, clean the green crud out then I used die-electric grease in them, been fine since. Some other little nitpick crap also. I have got a 2011 XR so it has the noisey torque limiter, I try to ignore the noise in the lower gears. Those torque limiter parts are kind of pricey, have tooooo many other things taking away my bike repair money right now, ha, ha. ........ overall I still think they are very good bikes.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Hard part now will be getting the swingarm off and whats left of the bolt out
Getting the bolt out isn't going to be the problem. Keeping the electronics safe while welding a piece of sch 40 black pipe on the broken end of the bolt with 309L stainless rod will be. Once you weld a short nipple without threads on it ( from the inside of the pipe with a low tech stick welder, 1/16 rod) the bolt will come free after it cools down, Just grab the pipe with channel locks and twist.. A shot of penetrating oil wouldn't hurt.
But making the electronics safe, That will take some time, research and effort.
Bearings and race will need to be replaced on that side after the bolt is removed.

·
13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some guy heard a bang and then said his bike was all over the road. when he got home he opened his saddle bag and found his inner bag destroyed with a peace of steel

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts