Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I have ridden an 1100 VStar for years. I love it, but ready for an upgrade to a bike with many more features. I have questions about the Cross Country Tour and this is where I came to find some answers!

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi Everyone, I have ridden an 1100 VStar for years. I love it, but ready for an upgrade to a bike with many more features. I have questions about the Cross Country Tour and this is where I came to find some answers!
First question:?

There are tons of people that have come to the Vic from the Vstar and VTX's that are overwhelmingly happy with their decision. Obviously you wouldn't be here if you had not done some research. Personally I think that if it is within your budget you can't go wrong. That said I also believe it is important that you ride every bike that you consider...that is why I have an XCT instead of an Indian.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I own a XCT... Ask away

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I have an 1100 classic, The xct is in a different class imo.
You'll like it.......:grin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, impressed with the response so far. Yes, I have been researching the XCT along with the Honda F6B for my next bike. I really like my 1100…fits me well, smooth engine (for a VTwin), good gas mileage, etc. However, I am looking for a little more than the ol' 2004 Vstar with 41,000 miles on it can muster.

1. More storage, enough to hold a helmet on the bike.
2. Better ride quality.
3. Stereo with iPhone connection, possibly XM.
4. Wind/weather protection.
5. Cruise.
6. ABS.
7. Smooth, quiet, comfortable.
8. Build quality/fit and finish.

The Honda is a great match for my desires, particularly the smooth and quiet part. It does not have ABS and a ton of storage however. THe XCT fits more of this criteria, BUT…

…to be honest, I am looking to get away from the Vtwin motor…possibly. The vibration at certain cruising speeds, under acceleration, etc. get fatiguing. And that is with the 1100 Yamaha motor, one of the most docile twins out there. I know the cruiser guys like the vibration and rawness of that Vtwin power, but I am not crazy about it. What I DO like is the gurgle of the exhaust and the arm pulling torque at low RPMs.

And that is why the Honda sits at #1 on my list. I am concerned that the 1700cc Victory would create too much vibration. I have never ridden one, but that's a lot of CCs for two cylinders and I know the Victory goes to head to head with H-D, who purposely designs vibration and rawness into their machines.

So, I guess my first question is, how is the vibration on these bikes?

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Ride one..
Victory has a balance shaft that when in design phase was trialled and actually cancelled out all vibration.
Knowing V-twin riders like a machine with some 'soul' they dialled in just the right amount that you can feel without tiring of it.
The only way to know is to ride one.
What are you waiting for?

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Wow, impressed with the response so far. Yes, I have been researching the XCT along with the Honda F6B for my next bike. I really like my 1100…fits me well, smooth engine (for a VTwin), good gas mileage, etc. However, I am looking for a little more than the ol' 2004 Vstar with 41,000 miles on it can muster.

1. More storage, enough to hold a helmet on the bike.
2. Better ride quality.
3. Stereo with iPhone connection, possibly XM.
4. Wind/weather protection.
5. Cruise.
6. ABS.
7. Smooth, quiet, comfortable.
8. Build quality/fit and finish.

The Honda is a great match for my desires, particularly the smooth and quiet part. It does not have ABS and a ton of storage however. THe XCT fits more of this criteria, BUT…

…to be honest, I am looking to get away from the Vtwin motor…possibly. The vibration at certain cruising speeds, under acceleration, etc. get fatiguing. And that is with the 1100 Yamaha motor, one of the most docile twins out there. I know the cruiser guys like the vibration and rawness of that Vtwin power, but I am not crazy about it. What I DO like is the gurgle of the exhaust and the arm pulling torque at low RPMs.

And that is why the Honda sits at #1 on my list. I am concerned that the 1700cc Victory would create too much vibration. I have never ridden one, but that's a lot of CCs for two cylinders and I know the Victory goes to head to head with H-D, who purposely designs vibration and rawness into their machines.

So, I guess my first question is, how is the vibration on these bikes?
The Honda F6B was the other choice to my current Victory XC when I was moving away from HD. I've had the XC just about two full seasons now have put close to 20k miles on it.

Here's my opinion for you. The XC is a great motorcycle, the bike can do many things well, its amazingly comfortable for touring, yet thinks its a sport bike in the twisties(the Vic X bike handling is like no other big motorcycle). The storage is huge and also flexible to fit the style and needs of the ride. The 106 engine is strong, smooth and pretty much bulletproof, its 6speed transmission is also super strong and well matched to the bike, there's always a "right gear" for whatever riding condition I'm in. My wife says the Vic is the most comfortable scoot she's ever been on and just loves it as a passenger. The adjustable air shock is great for load changes and the bike is generally suspended very well.

All that said there have been times I wish I bought the F6B...I feel like I've poured excess money into this Vic to get things right(and I'm still dealing with the "heat issue") beyond what's needed to "personalize" the bike. The two major points of issue and expense for me have been air-flow management and heat. I've spent inordinate amounts of time and money dealing with these two issues. It seems doing one thing, lead to having to do another or caused some other issue....It was frustrating and I was close to trading it in.
But I love this Vic and when its dialed in and I'm riding, the big V-twin singing to me in low grumbles and we're rolling off mile after mile through country roads, carving up corners ....there ain't nothing better :D

Between the the F6B and Cross Country it'll be hard to go wrong. If you're looking for a bike to just get on and ride, without having to fuss with, the F6B is probably the right choice. If you want to tinker and customize to a greater extent the Vic will serve better.

Good luck with your choice

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Ride them both around town and at freeway speeds..thumb up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Honda F6B was the other choice to my current Victory XC when I was moving away from HD. I've had the XC just about two full seasons now have put close to 20k miles on it.

Here's my opinion for you. The XC is a great motorcycle, the bike can do many things well, its amazingly comfortable for touring, yet thinks its a sport bike in the twisties(the Vic X bike handling is like no other big motorcycle). The storage is huge and also flexible to fit the style and needs of the ride. The 106 engine is strong, smooth and pretty much bulletproof, its 6speed transmission is also super strong and well matched to the bike, there's always a "right gear" for whatever riding condition I'm in. My wife says the Vic is the most comfortable scoot she's ever been on and just loves it as a passenger. The adjustable air shock is great for load changes and the bike is generally suspended very well.

All that said there have been times I wish I bought the F6B...I feel like I've poured excess money into this Vic to get things right(and I'm still dealing with the "heat issue") beyond what's needed to "personalize" the bike. The two major points of issue and expense for me have been air-flow management and heat. I've spent inordinate amounts of time and money dealing with these two issues. It seems doing one thing, lead to having to do another or caused some other issue....It was frustrating and I was close to trading it in.
But I love this Vic and when its dialed in and I'm riding, the big V-twin singing to me in low grumbles and we're rolling off mile after mile through country roads, carving up corners ....there ain't nothing better :D

Between the the F6B and Cross Country it'll be hard to go wrong. If you're looking for a bike to just get on and ride, without having to fuss with, the F6B is probably the right choice. If you want to tinker and customize to a greater extent the Vic will serve better.

Good luck with your choice
Thanks for the detailed reply. This is what I needed to know. I am not the customizing type. I don't care about pipes, chrome, flames, etc. I like 'em the way they come from the factory most of the time. The only things I have added to my 1100 is a taller screen, lockable hard bags, lowers, crash bars, and an AirHawk seat pad. This will all to make the bike more practical and comfortable, not a show bike. Seems as though I would be the BMW type, but I really like the seating position that cruisers like the F6B, my 1100 and the XC/XCT offer. I do not want to spend a bunch of time, money and frustration on fixing factory issues. I want to get on the thing and ride it and have it do all/most of what I need it to do, and am willing to pay the price for that.

The engine heat issue you mentioned has come up in a few reviews I have read about the bike. One would figure this would be an automatic issue considering its a big air cooled twin. Not sure how Yamaha did it, but my 1100 has no engine heat issues that I can feel on my legs. That would drive me crazy. My father has an old Cavalcade that is liquid-cooled and, despite that, that thing throws some engine heat and I do not like that feeling at all.

The engine heat issue was actually my second concern, next to the vibration.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
No vibration
Some heat in upper 90's with the tour lowers on
If left stock , heat SHOULD be minimal
Bulletproof drivetrain
Easy maintenance
Best handling in its class , PERIOD
Get yourself a smaller shield for warmer temps for added airflow
Do a demo ride and you will save 750.00 right off the top of your purchase price
Now is the time to buy , 2,000.00 rebates + demo ride is virtually 3,000.00 right off the top .
Good luck .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Before I bought my XCT, my main concern was the heat issue as well. Many reviews talked about it. I pulled the trigger and bought one despite this issue. I'm glad I did. There are so many positive aspects to this bike that FAR outweigh this minor issue.

After talking with some long-time Vic riders and a little experimentation, I was able to figure out the best position of the lower and upper louvers and to position my legs to maximize airflow over the engine and through my legs. Only in very hot weather (> 90 degrees) and at low speeds to I feel any heat.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
The engine heat issue you mentioned has come up in a few reviews I have read about the bike. One would figure this would be an automatic issue considering its a big air cooled twin. Not sure how Yamaha did it, but my 1100 has no engine heat issues that I can feel on my legs. That would drive me crazy. My father has an old Cavalcade that is liquid-cooled and, despite that, that thing throws some engine heat and I do not like that feeling at all.

The engine heat issue was actually my second concern, next to the vibration.
So you know, the heat issue I'm having is not a compliant about "normal heat" from a big air cooled V-twin. Its an excessive radiation from over heating catalytic converters after my bike was performance tuned. I've ridden the stock XCT and Vision on 90+ degree days and they do not have anywhere near the heat radiation I do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you know, the heat issue I'm having is not a compliant about "normal heat" from a big air cooled V-twin. Its an excessive radiation from over heating catalytic converters after my bike was performance tuned. I've ridden the stock XCT and Vision on 90+ degree days and they do not have anywhere near the heat radiation I do.
Ok, thanks for clarifying. I am pricing out F6Bs right now, some really good deals out there this time of year. However, I am going to contact the Victory dealer I last spoke with in August and see if I can take the XCT they have for a test ride before pulling the trigger.

I will ride the Honda, too. No reason to lay down nearly $20k without being fully informed.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Ok, thanks for clarifying. I am pricing out F6Bs right now, some really good deals out there this time of year. However, I am going to contact the Victory dealer I last spoke with in August and see if I can take the XCT they have for a test ride before pulling the trigger.

I will ride the Honda, too. No reason to lay down nearly $20k without being fully informed.
I was looking at the F6B also rode the B and the Victory IMHO the Victory is way better. I guess that's why I bought the Victory.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts