Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just returned from a nice ride. All 3289 miles of it.

Family funeral prompted the XCT be put into service a bit sooner than expected so I headed out from Chandler AZ to Colorado Springs last Thursday about 5am. A full 809mi later I arrived for the night. Without feeling tired really. About 12.5hrs with I believe 5 stops.

From there it was onto Omaha for another 590mi the next day. Again, not a hiccup and a nice ride.

Wife flies into Omaha and we plot our way back 2 up.

Back to C/S (Mothers house) and we take the corn routes through NE and KS and come in 70/24 in CO.

From there it's down to Raton NM the next day. Go west on 64 over to Chama NM via Angle Fire, Taos and others towns.

Next day we loop it up to Pagosa Springs, (Wolf Creek pass) and into Creede. Back out of Creed over to Alamosa and then south over Cumbres pass on 17 back to Chama for a nice "local ride".

From there it's home via 64 west to Farmington NM, south to Gallup and then down to St. Johns AZ. Turning west on 260 we go to Pinetop for the night. Up early (beat the heat at home) we head south on 60 to Phoenix metro.

So...overall it got a workout. Nearly 3300 miles. Begs the questions; what did you like, find, dislike have issues with etc huh?

First the Good:

The ride is fine. I mean really fine. I took the air butt bag and used it one time on I80 but it wasn't really needed. The cruise is a blessing on long rides. Add a cup holder and a tablet holder for nav/tunes and you're set. The bike ran all day without a hitch and just rolled on an on and on...

Running about 82mph on the interstate you can expect about 40mpg, less with big winds. Lower speed roads about 43mpg. We maxed out a tank at 230mi before filling up. I'd urge folks to do a comfortable 165-180 between stops and plan those distances personally. Not much change solo vs 2 up.

Luggage space is killer. We overpacked and you'd never know it. Used all the 12v ports at times and even the heated seats/grips at 54f morning temps. No need for closed gloves.

The Questionable:
This machine has some plastic vibration at about 1700 that's annoying as hell. Embarrassing really. Plan to have them look at this.

At high altitudes the idle runs up. Around 1600 after some use. I tried cruise/no cruise and it clears up when you cycle the key. Tells me it's in the computer. My guess is there's no MAP on this machine so it compensates for lack of air by opening up he throttle more. I'm certain it's in the computer and not a cable issue. All went good with altitudes below 8000ft.

Some tranny noise...yup, this one's going to be messy. About 1500mi back one day I hear some "chirping" my first thought was a lean knock from bad gas. Maybe. But I added some 104 additive to it and the problem persists. Pull in the clutch and it goes away. Not a good sign. The chirping gets louder and more common as we head home. My guess here is that we've got something rubbing the case inside. With no choice we head back and it doesn't get worse. I'd like to see the inside of the oil filter as that will prove me right or wrong, may cut it open at my shop to see.

Didn't have time to add the 2" back bars..wish I had. But the backrest made it in time as did the RAM mounts so we ran with it.

The Bad:
Ok, the tranny is not 'good. But the only real bad thing I can say is that in rain the visibility through the larger windshield and glasses combined with an open face helmet sucks. And I mean to the point of hiding under an overpass on I80 for a bit. If there's ever a need for one cool product- it's a wiper on this shield. I see room for one.

*Adding. One thing I really worry about is the lack of a steering lock or some sort of anti theft devise. I guess I'll buy a cable lock but for 20k+ you'd think a least a basic lock with be included. Hell, someone can roll this baby away at night and you'd never know!

After 3300mi I honestly don't think I'd trade this machine for anything else on the road. (maybe a vision but wife doesn't like the seating- she's short) Taking it back to Scottsdale for service and I'll post follow ups.

·
Registered
109 Posts
For the chirping, try some carmax (yes, the lip balm) on the belt. Works like a charm for me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The belts like to chirp on these bikes. Mine will do it while accelaerating and then go away once it warms up. When it starts to bug me I put it on the jack and adjust it. Chirp goes away. My daughters 1983 Honda 250 with a belt never chirps, go figure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes more so under acceleration but constant. Doesn't explain the reason it goes away with the clutch in still. I'll have them look at it and give me their opinion when the do the bars and the plastic work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like we do share some common problems Todd. I forgot to mention that i keep a coat of car wax on my wind screen and the water rolls right off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like we do share some common problems Todd. I forgot to mention that i keep a coat of car wax on my wind screen and the water rolls right off.
Yeah...Rainx is in my future. Thought of it too late. And probably take a full 3/4 helmet visor along too.

The dealer did confirm the belt issue and noise as others mentioned. Now I know for sure. Tell me they fixed the vibrations too in the plastic.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't think you want to put Rain-X on a plastic windshield. You may wind up permanently fogged. A good Automotive wax works pretty good, though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So true. Apparently free wheeling won't produce the same result despite being driven by the rear wheel clutch in. New to belts (nice not to have the torque feeling from shafts) so I'd have thought we'd hear it both ways. They told me there was nothing 'in' the belt (rocks, debris) and re aligned it, adjusted it and should be fine. Must research how-to and service intervals to do it next time I hear it.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
...This machine has some plastic vibration at about 1700 that's annoying as hell. Embarrassing really. Plan to have them look at this...
You should not be riding this beast at 1700 RPM. 2000 RPM should be as low as you go before downshifting. These machines like to be around 3-4000 RPM. Try going up in revs, and you will be very satisfied.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Victory belts seem to never be adjusted properly. They are also very noisy, especially coming from a shaft drive. Not sure I have ever felt shaft torque on a post 19XX bike, but ok. my butt doesn't seem as sensitive as some on different forums.
DO NOT use automotive Rain-X on your plastics.They even tell you not to. There is a marine version, according to legend, that is supposed to be good. I ditched the stock shield quickly because of having to look through, but YMMV.
Good luck with the clutch, belt noise.
Cheers

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the note on the RainX.

The dealer is supposed to have taken care of both the belt noise and the plastic buzzing.

As soon as I figure out how to putz down a crowded street at <20mph at 4000rpm I'm sure it'll be fine... cheers

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just got 2013 XC back from servicing due to chirping issue, tech did some research and found there are some issues with some plastic fasteners, realigned belt and did not need tightening, changed out fasteners to better ones, 300 miles since and no chirping, the fasteners on the plastic was to repair the rattle I was also having at 1500-200 Rpm's

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got 2013 XC back from servicing due to chirping issue, tech did some research and found there are some issues with some plastic fasteners, realigned belt and did not need tightening, changed out fasteners to better ones, 300 miles since and no chirping, the fasteners on the plastic was to repair the rattle I was also having at 1500-200 Rpm's

Shared experiences. Just got mine back 30min ago. The chirping is gone and 'most' of the buzzing is too. I say most as it's still there some at 1700 or so. Curious to know what fasteners where replaced and where if you can find out. Going to spend some time trying to find out where this is coming from personally now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
He told me the factory fasteners tend to "stretch" on longer rides as the bike heats up, I has 2k on my bike before my ride which was 6k in 12 days, bike did great except for the rattling and chirping

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
... As soon as I figure out how to putz down a crowded street at <20mph at 4000rpm I'm sure it'll be fine... cheers
I hear you. I've gotten used to either go slow enough for 1st gear (15 mph or less) either go fast enough to be over 2000 RPM in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Meant to do the RainX thing but never got to it..

Another thought:

http://www.peerclear.com/
I been using Lucas Slick Mist spray wax on all my MC shields for years.
Melts the bugs away and beads up the rain.

Spray it on let it sit to lift the bugs then wipe them off. Make the shield look like new.

The belt chirp is a strange sound. And it only does it if your on the throttle. You would think it would do it while decelerating to but nope..

You almost sound like you expected trouble on your trip.
Considering you had some belt chirp and a buz in the fairing .... That's not any trouble, that is just the character of the bike.

These bikes are built for doing those type of runs..

Glad you enjoyed your ride.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts