Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on riding from New York to Vancouver, or doing a round trip from Vancouver through Colorado and Utah with my brother in law next summer, taking about 15 to 17 days. We have both ridden for many years, but do not currently own bikes. We are planning on buying bikes here in Vancouver area, and shipping them to New York if we choose that route. We are both in our late 30's and in good physical condition. We would not have any passengers. Between the two of us we have owned the following: Yamaha Warrior, Victory Vegas, Honda VTX 1300C, and a Kawi Meanstreak. At this point we are thinking touring bikes (cross country or Street glide), but I am not sure if I would be happy with either as a daily ride once the trip is over. I have always been drawn to sportier bikes. Could I expect to comfortably ride 500 miles a day on any of Victory's "non-touring" models and not be completely worn out? On all of the bikes listed above, anything over 300 miles was very tiring (no windshields on any of them) I really like the look and style of the vegas, and put about 400 km on one, but am worried that it would not be very good for cross country touring. Any feedback would be great, especially on the bat-wing for the vegas, that may be the ticket.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I pulled 700 miles of twisties and highway travel last weekend. The thing that got me on the High-Ball more than wind was the seat. Get your seat dialed in and I think you'll do ok. I'm in the hunt for a corbin now unless I do something silly and get a cross bike.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ya of course you "COULD" do it. Just how much abuse can you take? My buddy just got back from doing 14,000km in 30 days, last year he did over 20km...on a BMW somethingsomething adventure tourer...That seat is horrid compared to my Judge's. I would do it on what i wanted (aka my judge) just to say i did. Like you say, you're young. Go for it. I have no useful advice for you on the long distance pros and cons of the Vegas...or a Judge as i havent yet put on more then 300/400 KM in a day, but id like to think i could...if i wanted to...and i do.

PS in my opinion the Judge has a much more comfy seat then the vegas...stock obviously. There is guaranteed to be more after market seats for a vegas then the judge...so tha'ts all i can say about that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just did 6k on my cross country last month in 12 days, some days 900 miles, some 250, did 4500 last year on a Stryker, if you're on a comfortable cruiser you will be fine, just take as many breaks as you need and enjoy the scenery, remember these kind of rides aren't about the destination but the ride itself, enjoy

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
131 Posts
I own a vegas and to be honest the thought of riding 4 or 500 miles everyday for two week would make me cringe at the thought, back would be killing you, but if that is the route you go, a windshield or a fairing will make the world of difference...but if I were you and your brother, I would forget all those bikes and go test out the Victory Vision, you'll love them and by the time your halfway through your trip youll be glad thats what your riding

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Wide open customs fairing on a Vegas with a killer stereo, medium sized bags and a 1 up luggage rack.... 400 miles a day on the Vegas would be easy! I can do 600-700 km a day on my High-Ball with my ear buds in and bandanna on my face.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My butt gets sore after 200 miles on a stock Kingpin seat, which must be the same as a Vegas. Longest ride ever was 400+ miles. 500/ day would be ambitious by my standards. I just rode for 11 days, but only 200mi/day. Heard of a gal doing the West coast on a 250cc. Where there's a will, there's a way.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Regardless of what bike you get you will need ass breaks every 60-75 miles just to keep your ass and legs fresh, I've been doing these rides for 15 years and those breaks make a huge difference, cruise control doesn't hurt either

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would forget all those bikes and go test out the Victory Vision, you'll love them and by the time your halfway through your trip youll be glad thats what your riding
^ Yep!! Or a Cross bike (XR or XC). The coolness factor of a slick steel-frame bike leaves you real dang quick when you're beat to pieces after hours on the saddle.

As far as I'm concerned, and this is coming from a hoodlum on a High-Ball, the Cross Country (to me) is the absolute most gorgeous full bagger I've ever laid eyes on.. And I got to close-up inspect, walk-around and have a seat on a whole bunch at the rally last weekend.

My next bike will be a cross-something... PERIOD. thumb up

Ride a vision and a cross bike and see which fits you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In my mind, the single biggest factor is the seat. If you have a comfortable seat, then nearly any bike can be used for touring.

Me? I'm a two-lane road kind of guy. More scenery..... although I do ride the interstate highways when I'm in a hurry.

Now, I'm a pudgy 5'10" 200 pounds and 55 years old.

I took this bike from St. Louis, Missouri out thru Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, and then back to Missouri.

Breaks every hour. A little less, a little more. Didn't get in a hurry. Over the whole trip, I averaged a little over 400 miles per day.

Bag on the solo rack, and a roll fastened to the handlebars and half a dozen bungee cords and two cargo nets.

My 60+ year old buddy took his Vegas Jackpot on a 4000+ mile trip to California and back.

It's all in the seat comfort.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It's all in the seat comfort.
Agreed.. It's the first spot to fatique of the three ergo points (seat, pegs, bars). I imagine a corbin on mine with some high-way pegs or extended pegs (as my knees started aching with the darn-near mid controls on the high-ball) and I could go bunches farther between pit stops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts