Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what a ride!!! Yup, I love my Victory, but I am a motorcycle fanatic first.
I needed a new leather jacket, so I headed out to Precision Harley in Pawtucket, RI. I love the HD Jackets. So, I found my new jacket without the HD Logo smattered all over it, made my purchase, and told myself not to look at anything shiny on the way out. Well, something shiny and blue caught my eye. A 2015 Road Glide Special. Touch screen GPS, stereo, open air cleaner stock, just a damned nice bike. Only thing she needed were mini apes, pipes, and a PCV. The motor was a 103 CI. 25 Large to take her home. :crzy:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On that note, I wonder how far Victory is from a touch screen platform with GPS for the CC based bikes...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Problems

If that is the HD with the water cooling there has been a number of issues with that engine. Before you fork out the $$$ you might check into that issue. Talked to a few who have seen and heard of problems, that is other mechanics.wac

·
Premium Member
13,698 Posts
Go for it man!

Um... just in case you didn't know; they have recalls on the new 'wet' HD's so often I have lost count. If it's what you want though; don't let it stop you. They will eventually fix all those issues and all the ones that come after them.

They do look pretty though....

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
For 25 large I'd be cruising in over to the indian dealer. Tired of pissing money down a hole over at hd and paying for ppd

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Ron , all I care about is , can you ride that beautiful Highball with me on Tuesday ? :D Forget the HD , you are way beyond that already .cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I did not buy it. All I was getting at is that it's a good looking bike. As far as the recalls, everyone knows that HD is going through some growing pains. If you ask me, it's because they are reaching to far trying to take back the piece of the pie that Polaris has taken away.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Olive Drab would be a Govt. Issue color. Obviously you have never been in the Military. To me, she's a beauty.

Olive Drab Highball? Did I miss that one?

Guess so. I don't blame you for wanting to trade in anything with the name 'drab' in it.

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
32,600 is absolutely rediculous for engineering band aids on ancient technology. They LOOK great. Their paint is flawless and they LOOK great from a design standpoint. If I ever have an extra 5k I don't know what to do with I'll pick up a 97/98 Evo road king. That's about it.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Very nice. How much did it cost to get there? It's still a pushrod engine. For the investment there, unless he's a mechanic and did it all himself, I could go 116. Not really trying to argue about it I just don't see the worth. Maybe at one time I did but the kool aid has worn off for me.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Very nice. How much did it cost to get there? It's still a pushrod engine. For the investment there, unless he's a mechanic and did it all himself, I could go 116. Not really trying to argue about it I just don't see the worth. Maybe at one time I did but the kool aid has worn off for me.
A lot.... Everything was touched. There's $1500 worth of fasteners/bolts that were replaced. Did you notice the 18" front brake rotor?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I did not notice the rotor. Very nice.

·
Premium Member
13,698 Posts
Olive Drab would be a Govt. Issue color. Obviously you have never been in the Military. To me, she's a beauty.
Oh contraire my friend. I was in the Navy. I guess that's why I don't appreciate olive drab on my vehicles like you do. No offense meant and thanks for your service.

Here's a 2015 Road Glide Special for ya.... and it has 112 HP too.

Not a bolt-on kit either....
Sweet build and does anyone else see a similarity to the XC with the angles on the fairing and the extended back fender and bags?

There's nothing wrong with a pushrod engine
I agree. If they were built right in the first place like what Indian has done with their new bikes.

The problem with the big twin HD's has been the same since the Twin Cam motors came out. They press fit the crank and went to a .025 runout which needed cam chains and followers to take up that large amount of runout. Before that the runout was .005 if memory serves which means they could safely run gear driven cams. Sometimes people put gear driven cams on TC's if the runout is small enough but with the press fit crank than can slip; they are putting their engine at great risk unless they send the crank to someone who knows how to true and weld it so it can't slip. The slippage would not be something the eye can see but the motor sure will feel and you would too if you were riding it at the time it slipped. It start vibrating like crazy. If lucky you could kill the engine before it self destructed if it only slipped a little.

I loved Harley's and still love the pre-TC Harley big twins but once I realized I would have to spend up to $6k in making the motor right, reliable, and have enough power to pull the hills like I wanted to; I started looking elsewhere which is why I ride Vic's today.

They made all these changes because they were getting so big that they needed a faster way to manufacture their motors. Unfortunately they sacrificed quality for the sake of quantity.

HD needs to go back to the drawing board for its next style motor and make sure they don't make the same mistake twice. They have permanently lost me as a customer but maybe they can hang on to those who are riding the fence about what brand their next one will be.

I may own another HD someday but it would be a pre-TC Evo motor and it would be in the mid to late 90's big twin.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts