Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at picking up a used Cross Roads (currently ride a Mean Streak...want more storage/comfort, but don't want to lose the looks/handling). Only 2K on it, stage 1 with Loyds. Have a few quesitons.

So, being I'm on a Meanie, I don't do a lot of distance riding and my first ride on the XR would be about 800 miles from Cleveland to Minneapolis. Stocker comfortable enough? What's the range (100miles on my current)? How's buffeting, etc?

Also, how's the stage 1 sound compared to the stockers? One of the few knocks I have on the XR is how it sounds. I like a little oomph. Nothing obnoxious...but some sound and depth. Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
472 Posts
With the stock windshield I had a huge up draft, but no buffeting. Shorter shield tamed that down drastically. Sound,well I have ness big honkers and for me I love em. Range for me 175-185 commuting that's 10 warm ups and 5rides of 24 each way. I get around 220 ish when on a trip where I fill up and ride. Your milage may vary.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I tend to just roll the speed limit unless there's traffic, then I go with or slightly quicker. I prefer to take in the scenery. Unless in on my way back I'm in Chicago...then I'm going as fast as possible. Ha ha!

Is there a way to adjust the shield other than up and down? I wear a lid at all times and stand 6-2, but with pretty even legs and torso.

What's your Vulcan Special Edition? 900 Custom? My wife has a nicely done up 900 Classic.

·
Registered
472 Posts
With you being 6'2" the standard shield might be just right. I'm only 5'9 w/32"inseam short torso.yes My custom se is a 900. As far as the comfort goes, myself I've never been on anything better. Oh, and good luck getting through chi town unscaved huh!

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
For long distance touring, you might want to consider a pair of lower wind deflectors - they work great. They even keep rain off your legs and boots. They are not cheap, but trust me, they are worth every penny. As for gas mileage, my XR gets 35 - 40 mpg in town (lotsa red lights) and 50 on the open road. I thought I was stepping down from a first generation Venture, but the XR does it all and does it better, I think. I use it for an in town errand bike and have done over 400 mile days and could have gone a lot farther with no discomfort. Can't tell you about the pipes, but I drilled out the baffles in my stockers and got just the sound I wanted without having to reprogram. The more you ride that bike, the more you are going to like it. Welcome to the clan.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I think you'll be surprised how comfortable the Cross bikes are; long trips are a pieces of cake and you should be able to get away with stops for gas. I average about 40 MPG in the city and close to 50 MPG on the highway with a passenger. I could probably get a little better but most of my riding is in 65 MPH areas and under 75 MPH the 6th gear is pretty much useless.

As far as buffeting goes I'm 6' 1" and mostly torso (think Fred Flintstone) I don't feel any buffeting and only feel a slight amount of updraft. I think the amount of buffeting you feel is highly dependent on what your last bike was. If you got beat o crap on your last bike the either of the Cross bikes will be a joy ride. Cross Roads would probably be better but I may be biased.

You can get a windshield in low, medium, or tall. None of them are adjustable -- they mount to the forks on hard mounts. If you want adjustable you'll have to spring for a Vision.

I can't give you anything on the pipes; mine are stock and I'll most likely keep them that way.

I suggest going to a Victory dealer and taking some test rides. Victory isn't like HD -- Victory will let you ride on your own and you can usually get in an hour or two.

Good luck! Hope to see another Victory owner soon!

·
Registered
336 Posts
So I'm looking at picking up a used Cross Roads (currently ride a Mean Streak...want more storage/comfort, but don't want to lose the looks/handling). Only 2K on it, stage 1 with Loyds. Have a few quesitons.
[/COLOR]
So, being I'm on a Meanie, I don't do a lot of distance riding and my first ride on the XR would be about 800 miles from Cleveland to Minneapolis. Stocker comfortable enough? What's the range (100miles on my current)? How's buffeting, etc?

Stock it is the most comfortable bike I have every owned. I have spent thousands to get bike to just half the amount of comfort this bike offers off the line!!! Buffeting was an issue for me with the windshield on. I end up buying a Cee Balieys with the built in lowers. I got it cut down an inch from stock to allow me to see over it a little better but I am only 5'9". The built in lowers work like a charm and when I take the windshield off it all comes off in one. No other lowers to deal with... I do not have issue with buffetting when the shielf is off.

[/COLOR]
Also, how's the stage 1 sound compared to the stockers? One of the few knocks I have on the XR is how it sounds. I like a little oomph. Nothing obnoxious...but some sound and depth. Any input is appreciated!
I have the Victory of Sothern MD pipes and they sound pretty good when you twist that right hand... It reminds me allot of an old flat head V8! you can hear them on YouTube.... There is plenty to choose from and can find most on youtube. GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suggest going to a Victory dealer and taking some test rides. Victory isn't like HD -- Victory will let you ride on your own and you can usually get in an hour or two.
Yeah, I'm planning on doing that this weekend if I get the chance. I tried the Cross Country last Fall when my buddy had one before getting a Vision instead. Not the same, but I was impressed with the comfort and handling (huge for me with what I'm coming from). Guessing that the barn door won't be too much different than the fairing setup and I have a shield for my current bike for windy/long days...though ride shieldless 95% of the time. Tried a Street Glid last year too and just felt too cramped compared to what I ride. lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
" I don't do a lot of distance riding and my first ride on the XR would be about 800 miles from Cleveland to Minneapolis".

Sorry my friend, but my XR is sold. On it's way to Texas. Hope you get a chance to ride 'em and find one you like. Do it, you'll never look back. I know I'll be diggin' my new Vision. Ride safe.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...put the deposit down this weekend on a new one around here. 2011 in Crimson. Last one they had. I'll put up pics after I pick it up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well...put the deposit down this weekend on a new one around here. 2011 in Crimson. Last one they had. I'll put up pics after I pick it up.
Your in for a treat. I bought a Cross Country and absolutly love it. But it has a downside. The misses loves it just as much. :confused: Only kidding I'm actually glad she likes (loves) the bike so much.(I think) The Cross bikes are great machines and due exactly what they were designed to do, and I'm looking forward to many miles on mine. I go through bikes pretty quick but this one a keeper.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your in for a treat. I bought a Cross Country and absolutly love it. But it has a downside. The misses loves it just as much. :confused: Only kidding I'm actually glad she likes (loves) the bike so much.(I think) The Cross bikes are great machines and due exactly what they were designed to do, and I'm looking forward to many miles on mine. I go through bikes pretty quick but this one a keeper.
Yeah, I already yelled at Crysti that she can't ride it. She sat on it and was really comfortable but she has her own scoot for a reason! She had the chance to buy a new bike this Spring, but hasn't found one she likes more than what she has!

·
Registered
112 Posts
i got mine in February after i was offered a deal i couldn't refuse on a new XR. These bikes are so smooth... words can't describe how happy i am with this bike. I think i put more miles on this thing in a month then i did in a year with my old bike. Enjoy!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, got her home last night just fine. Too late for pics and I'm stupid busy the next few days. Once I have a moment to get some pics, I'll do the traditional Hey! Check out my new bike!" thread. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you get it without the windshield?

I am picking mine up Wednesday. I intentionally got it without the windshield, I need to do more research and maybe go check a Memphis Shade dealer before I decide what to do. Don't want to go on price savings alone, but also effectiveness.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you get it without the windshield?

I am picking mine up Wednesday. I intentionally got it without the windshield, I need to do more research and maybe go check a Memphis Shade dealer before I decide what to do. Don't want to go on price savings alone, but also effectiveness.
I did get the windshield. I pressed a bit and the dealer gave it to me for free (they had some $500 vouchers from Polaris they used). I did a lot of looking around and there just aren't any options. There might be in the future, but they'll still likely run about $400+ for anything with a quick detach. And might become unsitely up front. The shield is already off, but it was nice when I took it home in 45F weather and no sun. ha ha!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
OrlandoRick,
Cee Bailey makes an aftermarket windshield that according to Bigseadaddy works much better than OEM. The problem you'll have is that you (plus me an most others) opted for the forged bars and the Cee Bailey windshield will not work with forged bars. They say that the windshield will hit the bars at full lock left or right.

·
Registered
183 Posts
OrlandoRick,
Cee Bailey makes an aftermarket windshield They say that the windshield will hit the bars at full lock left or right.
Just curious, hows that possible. It's not a fixed fairing.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Just curious, hows that possible. It's not a fixed fairing.
You just mis-read it. He said that the shield would hit the forged HIGHWAY bars (like the ones that come on the cross country but are optional on the CR), not the handlebars

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tried a Street Glid last year too and just felt too cramped compared to what I ride. lol
Yup, traded in my Ultra Classic... similar set up as Street Glide- it feels much more cramped than my new XC. You can really spread out on the XC compared!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts