Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently ride a 2009 Yamaha Road Star Silverado with 62,000 miles and found a 2012 Cross Roads with 4,000 miles, sissy bar/luggage rack, windshield and extended warranty asking $12,200. Not much give on the price from my inquiry.

Anyone here with experience on a Road Star going to a Victory, looking for feedback, plus any other info, I did a test ride on a Cross Country a while back, that's about it, seemed comfortable. Older rider but still riding and looking for a comfortable, easy to handle in the mountains ride to possibly replace the RS.
Richard
Placentia, CA

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Currently ride a 2009 Yamaha Road Star Silverado with 62,000 miles and found a 2012 Cross Roads with 4,000 miles, sissy bar/luggage rack, windshield and extended warranty asking $12,200. Not much give on the price from my inquiry.

Anyone here with experience on a Road Star going to a Victory, looking for feedback, plus any other info, I did a test ride on a Cross Country a while back, that's about it, seemed comfortable. Older rider but still riding and looking for a comfortable, easy to handle in the mountains ride to possibly replace the RS.
Richard
Placentia, CA
I had a Warrior prior. It was a nice bike. Had better brakes than the Vic. It required a lot of changes to make it comfortable. And the engine while reasonably powered seemed so antique. My wife used to joke that getting off our FJR and getting on the Warrior was like stepping off a rocket and getting on a Model T.

The Vic doesn't feel as much like a tractor down low and actually sounds a lot like a BMW boxer (to my ear) once revved up a little.

The nice thing about the Vic to me is that it requires nothing really. It would be quite nice to ride bone stock. As a cruiser, traveling at highway speeds will wear on one quickly without a windshield. If you do get a windshield, be prepared for head buffeting unless you get one from an aftermarket place that extends lower or buy some lower wind deflectors. Otherwise, the dirty air comes from under the tank.

Cali is a different planet for cost of living (pricing), but given the newness, add-on, low mileage, it doesn't sound too hateful.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you do get a windshield, be prepared for head buffeting unless you get one from an aftermarket place that extends lower or buy some lower wind deflectors. Otherwise, the dirty air comes from under the tank.
Finally got a short test ride with the Vic windscreen on my Hard-Ball (Just an XR with matte paint and apes). Didn't notice side-side buffeting but there is definitely an air-flow from under the windshield that's noticeable.

I can live with it, but thought it odd, as the windscreen is so large. But the typical whistling in my ears with a half helmet was essentially gone, to be expected.

This is where the XC fairing has the upper hand though I think. As the XR came out first, I think they really did some good engineering when they designed the XC fairing that came after. While I'm not a fan of the aftermarket fairings looks, a quick detach WOC fairing would be cool for those long trips, then pulling the fairing at the hotel maybe and riding nekkid. cheers

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
roadstarrich,
I'd recommend, get on a Cross Roads, and also a Cross Country. Depending on your riding, you may prefer the fairing, as the main difference between them. Tunes and wind control being the benefits. You can do well on a cross country 8-ball. I was actually tempted when I swapped up from my High-Ball to Hard-Ball.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for comments. On my Road Star I have lowers that block the air and it really helps, probably similar on the Cross Roads. To really complete the package will need passing lamps, engine guards, saddlebag guards, and Stebel air horn. Oh and probably the lower air wings.
Richard

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I agree, ride them all and choose your favorite.
I had a 2012 Hammer 8 Ball, went to the demo truck rode the Vision, Cross Country, Cross Roads, and Hardball.
Loved the HB but went with XC due to the fairing and the beautiful Anti-Freeze Green paint on the 2013 XC.
For the rest of the demo day I got back on the Hammer to lead rides as I didn't want to get spoiled by the ride of the baggers.
Needless to say, it didn't work

·
Registered
636 Posts
yup.. go to a demo day and ride 'em all. I had a 2011 XR and loved it until a cager wrecked it....

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I came off Yamaha First Gen Ventures to my XR. I got it with the Vic fork mounted lowers and mid height windshield and find the wind and rain protection very much like I had on the Ventures, which was excellent. I find the XR more comfortable and user friendly. I use it for in town errands and cross country touring and its a treat in the twisties.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I came off Yamaha First Gen Ventures to my XR. I got it with the Vic fork mounted lowers and mid height windshield and find the wind and rain protection very much like I had on the Ventures, which was excellent. I find the XR more comfortable and user friendly. I use it for in town errands and cross country touring and its a treat in the twisties.
Thanks. Going to look at the X-Roads soon and very likely make the deal. Thjere will be some culture shock leaving the Road Star for a Victory, hope it goes smooth.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Fair warning Rich...when you ride a Victory, you have to be prepared to talk about it wherever you go.
At least you are going to a cruiser from a cruiser, unlike me. The XR is so accommodating that there was no "culture shock" on my part and I think you'll assimilate to it even more easily.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The XR is my next favorite Victory for handling next to my Kingpin. Some nice used deals out there. Keep shopping if you want to get closer to $10K.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The XR is my next favorite Victory for handling next to my Kingpin. Some nice used deals out there. Keep shopping if you want to get closer to $10K.
He might, but it probably won't have such low mileage or the passenger backrest/luggage rack or the windshield. If he wants those parts, he'll be back up over $11+K right quick.

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I doubt I could do much better if the deal I'm looking at is legit, still have not physically inspected it. A 2012 with only 4,000 miles is virtually new, plus extended warranty til 2017, although I do not know how much that is worth estimating around $300-$400, so overall still looks good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts