Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
The TC's are great bikes! 2002 is the first year of the Freedom engine as well as the first year for the TC. The major bugs were worked out by then. But if you look for an '04 thru '06 V92TC, then you will have all the best.

Faulty gas gauge - ALL Victories have gauge linearity problems.
Solution - ALWAYS use the trip odometer.

Transmission - Avoid the years '99-'01. (No TC's made during those years anyway).

Odd error codes - If the bike is still running now, then don't worry about it.

Good luck in your search. There are good ones out there at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I've been looking at buying a V92TC. A few negative things I've read about them are running out of gas due to a faulty gauge, some transmission problems, odd error codes, etc. Is there a certain year these bugs were worked out? Thanks.
+1 on everything MH1 posted.
If your looking for a cost affordable fun ass, good riding Vic Bagger the TC is it! Unless your looking at a kingpin but differnt styles for differnt folks. I LOVE my TC.

-Running out of gas due to faulty gauge. Nope, it is more accurate that almost any of the cross bikes BUT it does flux a bit depending on when you look at it. Straight and level that thing is rock solid accurate. Almost down to the 2/10 IMHO.
-Tranny issue?Nope. Nothing out of ordinary with occasional tranny problem as with all mechanical parts. 03 had new tranny with the freedom and I have not really heard that many folks with 02's havin issues to be honest.
-Error code? Random. Many more NOT having issues.
03-05 pretty much the same minus cosmetics but if memory serves me correctly the 06 was the new mono shock that gave a much better ride. Other than that, 03-06 are almost all equal.

Now you didnt mention the positives!
-Pick up a couple quick HP with the Ness big sucker airfilter. Once installed you LIVE at 3K and above because the bike tells you too! Easy install, affordable and DIY.
-Stage 1 ECU flash with Level 1 Exhaust. Find a TC with the level 1's and most likely you have the stage 1 flash already. Easy identifier is exhaust tipe width of the pack itself. 1 looks like a pea shooter, the other a golf ball.
-Want to get frisky with it? Cams and controller, exhaust and intake. Thats it. That V92 will rock it!
Even with out the cams and controller, the TC keeps you grinning ear to ear!!!!

I have a stage 1 flash, level 1 exhaust with Ness big sucker. I get 35mpg all day long unless I live above 85. Slap on an OD front pulley and live on the highway, don't and perfect for the local everyday PLUS 1000 miles IBA ride when you feelin froggy. No problem. You do get some buffeting under the sheild but you can modify a set of HD fork lowers to resolve 80% of that and their chrome so look sweet.
My ONLY ride complaint on the TC is laying it low at higher speeds feels a little uneasy so I just slip off the seat a little like the sport bikes and perfect. Fat front tire gives nice ride. They are Tubed but I have only had 1 slow leak in 20K+. Bags do NOT seal well but comes with that design and nothing that a little DIY work can fix most of. Change the fork oil every 15 and watch your tire pressures while keeping the mono adjusted correctly for solo or 2up and I don't think you can beat this ride.
Might be why I can't sell mine... LOL

Dollar for Dollar unless you find a SWEET well priced Kingpin running around and like that style, the TC is one of the best overlooked Vic baggers out there for bang for the buck. Why do you think MaVic came back with the XC LE??? heheeheh Leather is cool but I like my hard bags so will stay with the TC...

Good luck on your search and if you got specific questions post'em...

Tim

·
Registered
361 Posts
I put 72,000 completely trouble free miles on my 2003 TC before I reluctantly traded in on a Vision. The only negatives I can say about the TC's is the front signal light housing are plastic pieces of crap-I changed mine to HD style metal/chrome ones, & the suspension was a bit harsh-I did some work on my forks & rear shock to get mine where I liked it. The 05's got a suspension upgrade. Great bikes, tons of carrying capacity.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have had my old 99 for two years now. Other than the CLUNK in the trans it's a great bike. I wouldn't hesitate a second on buying a TC, in fact my next bike will be a TC. But i would want the freedom engine.

Buy the way my gas gauge works pretty darn good.

·
Registered
361 Posts
All TC's have 5 speed 92 C.I. Freedom engines-some were upgraded with 100 C.I. kits-they were both introduced the same year-2002 with 2006 being the last year of the TC's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the good information!

I had a Kawasaki Nomad but sold it when I bought my Goldwing. I love the Goldwing and will probably keep it forever but I often miss having a V-twin. I just turned 50 and decided I needed another V-twin. I'd been primarily looking at the newer Nomad 1700s when I came across the Touring Cruiser. I've always felt Victory had great bikes but I could never get used to their stying. I love the classic styling of the TC. The version that speaks to me is the 2005 Anniversary model, but any of the blues look good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All TC's have 5 speed 92 C.I. Freedom engines-some were upgraded with 100 C.I. kits-they were both introduced the same year-2002 with 2006 being the last year of the TC's.
Any issues with the 100 cubic inch upgrade? I've found two of them for sale and they both seemed to be priced comparably low. It made me a little suspicious.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Any issues with the 100 cubic inch upgrade? I've found two of them for sale and they both seemed to be priced comparably low. It made me a little suspicious.
May simply need some tuning or regroup using current knowledge to get the 100ci up to speed. Would need bike specifics to better answer your question to their price

·
Registered
148 Posts
Next weekend I'm going to look at a 2005 Anniversary model. 19K miles. Stock. $6K.
If it's clean, you'll have a bike that will last for at least another 100K. I have a JP [my first vic] getting a new tire at the dealer and saw a '04 TC that someone traded in for a Vision a couple of years ago. Paid $7,000. It's my main grocery getter, more passenger leg room than a x-bike. No mechanical problems, it just keeps running. I want a new bagger, but the TC runs so damn good [can we say damn on this blog?] I am going to keep it until it, or I die. My bet is the bike will out live me.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Next weekend I'm going to look at a 2005 Anniversary model. 19K miles. Stock. $6K.
Not too high but upper end, not to low for this time of year I don't think either. Still alot of riding time left. I bought my 04 for 5500 and split the rear tire with the seller considering the deal a steal. he wanted to get rid of it due to another purchase which he may regret by now.. +1 negotiating room left but I think these bikes are comin back. Im with SofaKing on the TC. I love this bike and while I also two time on her with the Vision, I forsee keeping the TC for some time with a bigbore going in one of these days to increase the play time. I have and continue to jump on the TC worry free, ride balls to the wall and get 38-40 mpg while slaming the throttle or just cruising. I don't think you can go wrong. Retro is in anyway.. hehehe

Happy hunting!!!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a 99 that I converted to a TC and I love the ride. So many things you can do to it. Here is a few pictures. I don't think you would ever regret it.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1377081882.457034.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1377081893.132555.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1377081907.481055.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
114 Posts
Buy it!

I just picked mine up in May with 25k miles. Needed a throttle body boot, oil change, etc. Love it! Nothing like an old school. As others have stated, it handles like a buffalo at slow speeds and is made for comfort on the open road. Its a canvas just waiting to be customized.

LP

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
thumb up+1 on buying the 05 TC I have no regrets buying mine 5 years ago , really no major problems. Inspect the spokes and tires. I replaced spokes on the rear tire other than that Great ride. Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 99 that I converted to a TC and I love the ride. So many things you can do to it. Here is a few pictures. I don't think you would ever regret it.
I've put apehangers on all the V-twins I've had and I probably will to this one. How much longer did you have to go on the cables?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts