Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All - I am new to the forum. I recently "lost" a 2001 Honda Aero 1100 motorcycle that I owned for fourteen years to an errant driver running a red left-turn arrow. I did a lot of traveling on the Honda, and it was a good looking and reliable motorcycle that I had outfitted for touring (75k miles traveling on it). I've always loved the look of the Kingpin Tour, and almost bought one before buying the Honda, so this time around, I thought I'd try to find one.

Of course, I am hoping to find a lower-mileage bike in great condition that's stock, with the hardbags and topcase, and I really like the two-tone models.. I'm not a fan of loud exhaust, but a bike with a quieter two into one exhaust may be considered because of the possibility of fitting larger saddlebags on the bike. I'd like to find one with a two-tone color scheme.

I live in the SW Florida area, and could probably travel a reasonable distance for the right bike.

Thanks - Philby

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you're going to put larger bags on it anyway maybe don't worry about sticking to a tour option. You can fit what you like for luggage on the sides and top.

I know there's not many available around here. It seems the people with KP's are hanging on to them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I am primarily interested in a stock Kingpin Tour so that I can travel at any time after I bought it. A bike with the stock windshield, hard bags and topcase, etc. Other typical traveling additions that I would look for or possibly add at some point would be auxiliary lights, engine protector bars, etc. But I would want a bike immediately ready for travel, and any changes that I might make would be after I rode it a while.
Yes, I do know that they are hard to find (I've been keeping track of bikes for sale for some time). Being a great looking bike with a reputation for reliability, that's not difficult to understand. That's why I joined - I thought I might be able to get a line on one through this forum.

·
Registered
298 Posts
primarily interested in a stock Kingpin
It has been mentioned in other threads that their 2002 V92C is on many registrations as a Kingpin.
I am currently in the middle of doing a minor rebuild on my recently purchased first victory I ever owned.
Mine shows as a kngpn on the registration too.

Is there some mechanical / frame / power difference between my 2002 V92C and the first kingpins?
I have the 92 freedom with a 5 speed.

Since you, Philby, are focused on the KP, I figure you might know.
Or someone else might know the significant difference between my 2002 V92C and the 2003 KP ???

·
Registered
253 Posts
Other than the engine itself (if it's a pre-06 Kingpin) the V92C and the Kingpin are vastly different beasts. The frame on the 2 are totally different. The rims/tire sizes are different. The forks are very different with the Kingpin having upside down forks compared to the V92C. Due to a plethora of reasons the Kingpin is a vastly better handling machine than the V92C from 2002. I"m not knocking a 2002 V92C.. I had one and loved it, but I've had 2 Kingpins since ( a 2008 and a 2007 currently) and it can't be understated that they are vastly different handling machines. Regardless all vics share a common power plant, more or less. I"ve had an original 'Hammer' engined 2001 92cu in with a 5 speed.. an 2002 92cu in 'Freedom' motor 5 speed, a 2007 100" 6 speed with open loop fuel injection, a 2008 100" 6 speed with closed loop Vegas, a 2009 100" 6 speed with closed loop and a 2014 106" Cross Country. I loved every one of them and honestly I would be thrilled to be riding any one of them again. As similar as they all are every one of them, even a single model year apart were very different in how they felt and rode.

·
Registered
298 Posts
the V92C and the Kingpin are vastly different beasts. The frame on the 2 are totally different. The rims/tire sizes are different. The forks are very different with the Kingpin having upside down forks compared to the V92C.
Thank you for that. I read reviews, I investigate, but, I have not been able to get info as solid as that. Since writing the question I did lean how the forks are different.

As I do this minor rebuild, (as I call it) new tires, wheel bearings, brake pads/flush, fork seals, oil change, 30k maintenance stuff, I hope I will like my 2002 V92C Deluxe. I did get a new speed sensor to put on because in my test drive after buying it online and having it delivered to my house, the speedo wobbled back and forth.

So, long story even longer, I hope when I am done with this, and I have invested like $3,500, that it will be dependable enough to go NC to MI to GA to KY to MS to CA.
I KNOW parts are hard to find, but, it seems like maintainance parts are available. And with only 33K on this, I am betting it is safe.

Cosmetically, the spoke wheels are crappy looking around the hub, some paint is faded, and I gotta get a windshield.

So, I am hopping it is better on long istance ride than my Triumph America.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Since your planned journey starts in NC, is that were you are from? I spend my summers in the mountains of western NC about 20 miles SSW of Asheville.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Too funny. We could be further apart and still live in NC but not by much :) I could be in Dayton, OH; 30 minutes north of Richmond, VA; barely across the border into FL; or half way from Nashville to Memphis in the same time it takes to ride to your locale in my same state. NC is a wide-a$$ state. Of course, we are not talking Texas-wide. Everything is bigger/wider in Texas.

·
Registered
298 Posts
NC is a wide-a$$ state.
U.S. Route 64 (US 64) is the longest numbered route in the U.S. state of North Carolina, running 604 miles (972 km) from the Tennessee state line to the Outer Banks. The route passes through the westernmost municipality in the state, Murphy, and one of the most easternmost municipalities, Manteo, making US 64 a symbolic representation of the phrase "from Murphy to Manteo" which is used to refer to the expanse of the state. The highway is a major east-west route through the central and eastern portion of the state.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I live 2 miles from US64 and ride or drive on it almost daily.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Reactions: oldRoadRunner

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey All - I am new to the forum. I recently "lost" a 2001 Honda Aero 1100 motorcycle that I owned for fourteen years to an errant driver running a red left-turn arrow. I did a lot of traveling on the Honda, and it was a good looking and reliable motorcycle that I had outfitted for touring (75k miles traveling on it). I've always loved the look of the Kingpin Tour, and almost bought one before buying the Honda, so this time around, I thought I'd try to find one.

Of course, I am hoping to find a lower-mileage bike in great condition that's stock, with the hardbags and topcase, and I really like the two-tone models.. I'm not a fan of loud exhaust, but a bike with a quieter two into one exhaust may be considered because of the possibility of fitting larger saddlebags on the bike. I'd like to find one with a two-tone color scheme.

I live in the SW Florida area, and could probably travel a reasonable distance for the right bike.

Thanks - Philby

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 victory kingpin 8000miles black, lock and ride windshield locking hard bags 520-247-6062

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts