Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm doing my research to buy a used vegas no later than spring of 2016. Reasons I have to wait involde job and truck but will have that sorted out. My main questions are what years came with what engines and what year or engine size you guys liked best.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Whatever you buy, if you find it then post it on this site so the guys can tell you about what engine or orher information

Cool

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My main concern is would I be disappointed in one engine size over the other. Until late last night I didn know Vic made a 92 ci motor. Is it as good as the 100 or 106 ci?

·
Registered
149 Posts
No one can determine your level of disappointment. Are you coming from an HD, you won't be disappointed. A Busa, don't expect the same ride. A Schwinn, well.............The 92 was the first production engine, followed by the 100, then the 106. From what I have seen all very strong, long lasting motors.

When I was looking, I knew that I wanted a Jackpot. Then it became a matter of the 100 or the 106, basically what year model was I going to purchase. I opted for a 2009 with the 106. My only reason is some of the people that I ride with are sitting on 1800 cc and I wanted to be sure that I could keep up. I could have reduced the cost had a gone with an older model.

You need to determine what is more important to you, newer bike/bigger engine or less cost. I don't think that you would go wrong with any size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a fairly new to road bikes. I don't wanna pay for the Harley name. But it sounds like I would be happy splitting the middle and not look back. I have found a lot of the 100's for the same price as the 92's in Michigan.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
I ride a 2010 Vegas 100 /6speed and its fantastic!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was my next question was does the 6 spd and the 5spd compare. Do you feel like you have to ghost shift with the 5. I love the style of these bikes. I test road a vulcan 1700 and it felt not necessarily slow but sluggish.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
That was my next question was does the 6 spd and the 5spd compare. Do you feel like you have to ghost shift with the 5. I love the style of these bikes. I test road a vulcan 1700 and it felt not necessarily slow but sluggish.
6th is really an overdrive, I rarely use 6th
But its nice to have it there.
Sounds like you need to ride one.
One good ride on a Victory and all your questions will be answered, once you ride one youll sell your soul to own one!

And when you ride one rev it out don't lug it,
Take it to 5000 though the gears and see what youve been missing out on

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
When we ride with HD then i do not use my 6th gear, but when we ride Ducati & Victory & BMW then i use 6 all the time .....

We do not have speed cameras here ..... And cops always join our riding together ....

·
Registered
149 Posts

Like Motorbikerx said, 6th is an overdrive. The only time I ever use it is constant interstate speeds above 65. If I'm bouncing around between 60-65, I stay in 5th. If I happen to shift up to 6th and I slow down to low 60s, it will start lugging.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate your replies. I will rarely go more than 200 miles on a highway. I won't turn my nose up to a 92 now. I would prefer a 100 or even a106 if affordable. I work in the oilfield and my job is so up and down this year even if I was working every day I could not trust it this year. And I am a fairly large person. I am 6'5" and 225 right now but could gain 10 to 15 come winter when I hibernate lol. I also like the high ball but the way it looks and the way it feels is two different things. I will know when I can test drive one.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
The Magnum, Cross Country, Cross Roads, Hardball and I think the Vision are all Aluminum framed bikes. The thing about the Highball is if your a bigger guy you will only need to get the 2-4" forward controls and you will be ready to roll. The mini apes can be rolled forward to the position of your liking. Do you plan on carrying a passenger? On my old Highball with my wife on the bitch pad and enough gear for a 7 day trip we had to watch we didn't bottom out over big bumps. I am 185 lbs, wife is 100lbs and say 50-60 lbs of gear including leather saddlebags and a large bikers friend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do plan on having it set up for a passenger. The only time my wife will probably ride is when we go out on a date. Good news is if I keep getting phone calls like I have been and working as steady as I am now I will have things paid up. Oilfield has always been feast or famon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure where you live, but if you go to Dothan AL craigslist, there is a Vegas Low and a Jackpot. Both very nice with low miles. Both under 10K.

I saw where one person said their 6th was an overdrive. I have a 2011 Cross Country and the 6th on it will pull from 45 or 50 all the way into triple digits. Don't have problems passing in that gear either (55 or 60 to 80 pass). One person is correct though, wringing out the gears is fun. On a lonely road, I don't shift into 6th until well into triple digits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm from northern Michigan. Everything new and used goes high here. I work in WV and PA and the prices are 500-1500$ cheaper for the same bikes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts