Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about lowering my bike ( 2012 VV ) maybe 1 or 1 1/2 inch. I fit on the bike now and thats not the reason. I'm just getting tired of fighting the cross winds all the time and wonder if lowering the bike will help solve that for me.
I looked at WD's lowering kits for the rear tire and they look like I could install it. I'm not sure what to do about the front end.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
ive ridden a few different bikes, but the three that i have the most time on were my stretched/lowered honda chopper , 07 vegas, 12 xc , i have fought cross winds on all of them , the one that handles it the best is the xc , thinking due to its weight.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Lower the center of gravity the harder it is to knock over... Lowering your bike according to the law of physics should in fact make it more stable in a cross wind. The reason being is the strength of wind is almost always stronger the further off of the earths surface it gets. I am not sure if you will feel the difference in the seat of your pants or not. I do know that it will look a whole lot cooler!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
And that's about it. If there is an impact to how crosswinds affect you after lowering you'll not realize it. The way it would be perceptible would be that if it threw you sideways enough to slap the boards then that would happen earlier on a lowered bike. Needless to say if you are battling that kind of crosswinds you have other issues to deal with.

Surface area in profile is primarily what invites instability from crosswinds. Height of the motorcycle does't bring much to that party. Tuck in, take the trunk off if equipped or just accept crosswinds. Not to put too fine a point on it but a Vision is not exactly the bike of choice for those of us who are crosswind sensitive.

People that are height challenged can make a good argument for lowering. Peeps that are willing to sacrifice some ride characteristics for a look will argue for lowering. From a performance, handling perspective there is no good argument.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I guess I have never experienced any issues in strong cross winds. Naturally you will get a bit more head buffeting but that is about it. Try riding a GW in a 40 MPH crosswind. It will scare the bejeevers out of you.

I don't see how lowering the bike would have any effect at all. You still have the same surface area and lowering the bike 2" wouldn't change the side wind pressure at all.

·
Registered
261 Posts
While I am not an aerodynamicist, I can't see how lowering your Vision by only an inch or two would change the center of gravity or the aero cross section enough to make a perceptible difference.

The VV, while it may have great aero performance going straight ahead, it has the profile of a sail. Too much surface area for the wind to grab onto.

Used to ride a Gold Wing Aspencade all over this country. Just have to learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Crosswinds, short answer, No.

Little more answer, you'll change the geometry of the bike and lower the clearances and lessen lean angle. Stability can come into play as well, especially if not done correctly. Bolting on a store bought lowering link doesn't always translate to correctly.
Many lower their bikes and wonder why it doesn't ride like it did.

Leave it alone and either learn to ride in the wind or get something that doesn't have the side profile the Vision does. BTW, they are supposed to be some of the better mannered in testy weather you will find, so was my Goldwing, but it didn't settle well at times. I blame the frame mount fairing. A great concept and a good thing overall but it has a different feel.

Cheers

·
13,002 Posts
OK I have lowered my vision by a inch in the rear and a inch in front.
In cross winds I still lean cause of the wind pushing on the bike but I do not move around. Mater of fact if you have a bagger yes cross winds make you lean a slight little bit. Yes all bikes move around in cross winds you can't avoid it. Like buffeting its part of ridding a bike. Your not in a convertible your on a bike.
Yes lowering changes your lean angle. We do not lean as far as you but are we less of a rider cause we don't lean over as far as others. We still have plenty of scrap marks on the floor boards.
Lowering the bike give you way more stability. Guys who go with taller front wheels are the ones you should be scared of.
If you want your vision to move around less loosen your front fork pinch bolts and slide the fork tubes up till they hit the bottom of the bars. Make sure you don't pinch cables or wires. Its a twenty minuet job.
It will really make you stable when stuck behind a semi. If you lower the front you can always go back up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Thanks VJ that's exactly what I said... It's simple physics, pretty sure I learnt that in elementary school. Sweet looking bike VJ!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You can change everything, seat height, bar height, bike height whatever. That's part of the beauty. just don't convince yourself that you are going to get rain from pissing up.

There are a lot of design decisions manufacturers make based on the bottom dollar. The way that relates to motorcycle stock height has more to do with how much the manufacturer can get from you than any savings they can create during construction.

They want a bike ride that satisfies the most people and they arrive at that by math and trial and error. For most peeps changing the bike geometry does not improve the bikes specification. There are good reasons to entertain lowering a bike but I don't subscribe to handling improvement being among them. Not at least for those of us who use a motorcycle across a variety of riding styles and conditions. If it's purpose built for an application that makes sense lowered then all bets are off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts