Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new set for my 09 kp low. Heard a lot about high speed wobble with radial ply tires.Had Perelli night dragons on my 09 Kawi Vulcan and really liked Them. Has anyone tried them on the KP?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am running the Dunlop D407 and the Elite II Dunlop up front. This is a very stable combination.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your post. That is pretty much the stock set up and what I have now but the wear was not good and they are supposedly available OEM only.The Victory dealers want a pot of gold for them and want to mount them too for another pot. That's one thing I don't like about Victory. They are like Sears, design everything a little different so you have a hard time finding and putting aftermarket parts and accessories and end up having to go to them. Some people are running Bridgestones and like them. I'm just looking for what other options people have on their Kingpins.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I found the Dunlop D407-D408 Combo to be a Great Handling Option on my 2007 Kingpin .. Got them from Team Latus HD for $382.00 Shipped to my Door ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I looked at that on the Dunlop Website. Did you go with the bias ply? How long havr you had them on?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Running Pirelli Night Dragons on my 11 kingpin. Very good tire. Good dry and wet traction and hard enough compound for a decent lifespan. Fantastic value due to price. Run the radial in rear and bias up front. I had an 05 Vegas 8-Ball that I put a Kingpin front end on. Ran Metzeller 880 Marathons on it. Dealer screwed up and got me a biased front by mistake. BEST mistake made! While lots were complaining about the front end wobble with the same tires (with radial on front), I NEVER had an issue. The unsprung weight of the tire and composition of the radial make them a bad fit for Kingpins. Look at a lot of Euro bikes that are known for high speed handling. Most come with radial rears and biased fronts...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's exactly what I am planning to do as I didn't see a bias in the right size for the rear. Thanks for the input. Do you remember where you got them from? I think bike bandit is the best I found.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a Dunlop E3 on the front and a D407 on the rear. They handled fine but didn't last very long. Both tires have cracked on the side. They are only 22 months old and have 5,500 miles on them. The bike is kept in a barn in unconditioned space. Don't know what I could have done differently. Maybe a bad set but the tires came from different places when I bought them. I am replacing them with Bridgestone radials. Hopefully these will work out better.
Here are pics of the front tire. The rear is not as bad but still some cracks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Running Pirelli Night Dragons on my 11 kingpin. Very good tire. Good dry and wet traction and hard enough compound for a decent lifespan. Fantastic value due to price. Run the radial in rear and bias up front. I had an 05 Vegas 8-Ball that I put a Kingpin front end on. Ran Metzeller 880 Marathons on it. Dealer screwed up and got me a biased front by mistake. BEST mistake made! While lots were complaining about the front end wobble with the same tires (with radial on front), I NEVER had an issue. The unsprung weight of the tire and composition of the radial make them a bad fit for Kingpins. Look at a lot of Euro bikes that are known for high speed handling. Most come with radial rears and biased fronts...
So you're having good luck with the Night Dragons, with radial rear/bias front combo? I have an 11 Kingpin with stock oem tires. I have a head shake on deceleration around 45 mph. I've been changing tire pressure, trying to pin point the problem, and I'm almost convinced it's tire related. Just trying to decide what tires to go with. I don't think I want to go with oem.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yes, very pleased. When I got the bike (used), I figured I would go with the Metz like I had before. Metz no longer approves fitment for Kingpin. Figured I would go with them anyway.... but I would look to see what was out there. Dunpops for OEM Harleys get great reviews on Kingpins but I didn't want to take out a second mortgage to buy them. So I searched EVERY brand out there for the stock sizes, that made radial rear and bias front. Only 7 or so fit the bill. Then it was just a question of liking tread design, reading reviews and COST. The Pirelli night dragon fit the bill (plus my bike had a used one on back with 70% tread left and a dry rotting Dunpop on front). Shopped around and got the new front in biased for less than $150.00. Will replace the rear next riding season. IMHO, you can't go wrong with this combo....

On your head shake.... I run the tires at the stated pressure for 2 up (I'm a big guy). I also run Dyna=Beads. They are fantastick !!!!!! I can't say that enough. I had an 03 V92C and at 80-85 it would get unstable. Had new Avons on it. Correct air and balanced properly. Neck bearings were tightened properly (you need to check that also). Took wheel weights off and added Dyna-Beads. Triple digits on the speedo without any issues.......

·
Registered
537 Posts
That's exactly what I am planning to do as I didn't see a bias in the right size for the rear. Thanks for the input. Do you remember where you got them from? I think bike bandit is the best I found.
eBay and Amazon...... 2 or 3 vendors will all carry the same lowest price.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ferta, from the damage to your tires I'd have to believe they are under-inflated for the weight they are carrying or they are very old tires or stored improperly. They could have already been old when you bought them and you don't indicate in your post what the year is on the tire. That is something I check on every tire I buy for any of my vehicles. Everyone needs to.

Internet sellers buying in bulk to get low costs and may have them on the shelf for a long time before they get sold. I imagine that storage time could be much longer than what I may get from a dealer who doesn't stock them locally and orders through an approved distributor.

Check your tires BEFORE they go on. For the safety of you and your family, spend a couple of minutes and watch this. On your bike, the codes are right after the DOT markings.

·
13,047 Posts
If you watch all most all the the Internet motorcycle stores and local shops have big tire sales at the end of riding season just to get rid of there tire stock so come spring they have new ones to sell

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
too small to be radials

i remember my friend a former ducati dealer-tech-savy racer telling me that many smaller sizes were not radials even though marketed so. making a smaller tire a radial was not possible then, don't know about now. bias tires are outdated for sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had Bridgestone Excedra 851/850, Z-rated radials installed on my KP Low and so far I really like them. I've rode at about 80-85 mph and haven't noticed any wobble issues. I've put several hundred miles on them this season. They do turn better than the original Dunlops and are smoother riding. Because they turn/perform better then the Dunlops, the bike takes less input to initiate turns so there is a little adjustment on my part. Also, I got the pair for $220 delivered and $80 installation. I can't say anything about their longevity yet; I got nearly 15K out of my Dunlops.

Darrin

·
Registered
203 Posts
I installed the same tires as you and have pretty much the same thoughts on them. I'm coming from Dunlops as well and think that the Bridgstones are superior tires. They are much lighter and make the bike seem a lot more nimble. I don't have as many miles on mine as you do but I found out that the Stones are giving me better gas mileage. I got 43+ today. I was used to getting around 38 with the Dunlops. I haven't found a downside yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't noticed a big difference in the mileage, but I agree on the Stones being more nimble. I'm more confident in the corners than I was with the Dunlops. The ride is a little more busy when it's windy but its not bad because I can compensate for gusts quicker.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Need a new set for my 09 kp low. Heard a lot about high speed wobble with radial ply tires.Had Perelli night dragons on my 09 Kawi Vulcan and really liked Them. Has anyone tried them on the KP?
Im running Night Dragons on my Vegas, fantastic tyres,
Very confidence inspiring.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts