Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am in need of some help...(who isnt these days..:ltr:) I have spent the last SEVERAL months in court tracking down and have finally been awarded "custody" of my 2006 Victory Jackpot. Now... After about $1000 in legal fees, $1200 in back registration, and a massive headache; I need to get the bike to California. I would go get it myself but since I am currently 7 months pregnant my husband has laid down the law and wont let me go. :crzy: So I have called several shippers and the cost is absolutely insane! If anyone here is planning to take a trip from Minot ND to Northern California and would like some extra cash or if anyone here knows anyone I could greatly use the help. Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
If someone's moving from ND to CA, they would also have to travel very light. Pack everything in your pocket, type of deal. If someone else is riding the bike for you, how would you know it doesn't turn out stolen? Shippers are not that expensive, and the bike will be insured during its travel. You might try to save some money, but you're exposing yourself to more risk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well considering it is 14 degrees in Minot today I would hope for their personal safety they would not want to ride it here. It's a 1500 mile drive and I was figuring they would be trailering there personal belongings and might have room for a bike. It is an Air Force base and people do PCS. As far as shippers go they all want $800+ and it has to be crated. You are right, there are risk associated; however, not everyone is a bad person.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
White Rabbit,
It's a shot in the dark and you'll have to hope you can find somebody with sympathy but try calling TMO at Minot and see if they will tell you if someone is moving. Keep in mind though that if they ship your bike in their household goods it would probably be fine if the Gov is moving them. If they are doing a DITY move though they can claim the weight and their may be an ethical issue. The easy way around that is to ensure that the bike is not weighed along with the rest of their HHG and is put on the truck afterwards.

You might also want to have someone at Minot post your request on one of the base bulletin boards; you may be able to catch someone with a truck that is getting ready to make a Disney trip that would be willing to haul it to you for gas money. Be advised though with gas prices going up every day the gas one way may cost close to what you could ship the bike for.

The last option is to contact a Victory dealership near Minot and ask them to take care of the shipping. The may get a discount for shipping that they can pass on to you. This may actually be the best option because they can properly crate the bike. And (god forbid) if the bike was damaged prior to them shipping it they can evaluate the damage and tell you whether it's even worth shipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you ammo_umb, I did call the victory dealership in ND and I didnt get the impression that they were all that interested in helping me. the shipper they use is one of the more expensive and require the bike to be crated. When I asked victory if they would crate it for me, they said they couldnt.
I didnt even think of TMO. I will call the shirt I have been working with to see if he might be able to explain the situation to them. I am also trying to track down some of my old AF crew chiefs and load master friends and see if they cant help me out in that department.

Thank you very much for you input.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Did you get an HHG move out of Minot? If you were Active Duty you definately qualified; if you were a dependant spouse you should have still qualified even if it was because of divorce -- I believe your entitlement would be a portion of your exes total weight alowance. Either way if you qualified but have remaining weight allowance of approximately 800 lbs (crated bike) you may be able to use you remainder. I can't quote all the rules, I retired out of Ammo but moved a lot so I know some of the rules. Like I said before it's worth a shot.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
573 Posts
WR, I have shipped many bikes cross country, and have never, ever crated it. There are numerous companies that specialize in shipping motos, some used pallets, some tie down directly to the floor of the truck (they have a lift gate to get the bike in the truck). Should cost maybe $400 from ND to Cal.

I have used both of these in the past.

http://www.haulbikes.com

http://www.shippinfmasters.com

good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have just scheduled a delivery through Shipping Masters (broker). The transport co is Keyboard MC shipping. Can’t give a report on their service yet but I can tell you the price. $530 shipped from MT to CA. $20K insurance, no deductible. Paul Wilson (Owner of Shipping Masters) claims to have shipped over 3,500 bikes through them with zero claims. He uses other transport companies as well. I will post a follow up report when the deal is done.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts