Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.So in April the SOBs stole my box trailer from the storage yard. I got it back about a month ago after the Sheriffs towed it off some guys property who had hired a handyman who subsequently disappeared leaving the job unfinished and the trailer in his dooryard. Silly tweaker.
Turns out the pinhead wanted a landscaping trailer, nice big 28 footer holds a buncha mowers I imagine. It was empty except for the pile of manure and cut brush. Oh yeah, the bike cover that had been on my 2003 Indian Vintage was balled up in the corner, but no bike under it. I'll go to my grave not knowing what went through that dinks head when he cut the lock off and opened up that trailer to find the Indian strapped down in there with a fairly complete mobile bike workshop and all the riding gear we built up over four decades of being American riders
So, it's September and I give up. I'm going to take the insurance company check and move on.
I have a couple Harleys back in the shed in New Hampshire, a shovelhead FLH and a Evo Bad Boy, but the Indian was my baby for 9 years and I don't want to slog across the country to bring one back here to Colorado. Too little, too underpowered after the Indian. I can't see me doing a couple thousand mile road trip on either one at my age- old, or my size- big vertically and horizontally. Plus the Queen has a bad back so I have got to get something that she can stand, even if just little day trips.
We did a Vison test ride in Massachusetts a few years back. The takeaway- kind of a Subaru thing, stellar engineering and innovation but the result did not speak to me and it still does not.
I am interested in the XCT (note that I didn't say excited by) and today I will plop the Queen on the back of one and we will squeeze into a couple of borrowed skidlids from the dealer (yep, the handy man got our helmets too) and we will put a few miles on and try to convince ourselves.
The MoCo has gotten their last dollar out of me although I will always be an owner and Milwaukee is in my veins but no new batwing for Pop, the big Beemer 1600 is soulless but it is 160 horse and that's my fallback if the XCT is a loser, the Trumpet triple is a firebreathing monster that the Queens back will not sanction, and the Wing is... well it's a Wing isn't it? I may be old but rigor mortis has not set in yet so the Wing will have to wait. My years of despising Asian bikes are behind me but exept for the Wing I doubt that I will ever own one.
Pretty slim pickings in the choices department.
I would like some feedback. Cheerleading is OK but some real opinions and hopefully some real world info would be great.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

We took a '13 Tour out for a test ride two Saturdays back.
It wasn't a long ride, maybe 10 miles. That's normally enough to get my wife's sciatica tweaking. Didn't happen. That's a plus.
It's top heavy like every dresser. Can't call that a minus. It has a job to do and being top heavy is part of the price. I'm going to have to cinch up my riding boots good and tight because this Victory is looking for more out my ankles to hold it up at stop than those old busted up bones have had to put out holding up the Indian.
Nice power, sounds good, throaty for a dresser. I' m one of those guys that swore by "loud pipes save lives". I still believe it but on a touring machine I will take my chances on the other guy realizing that I'm there from other clues besides me using a fistful of throttle to make the point. The Tour is a touch louder than I expected though. Fair enough.
The angular look is harder to get past for me. Some of it, the more conventional rounded stuff, engine configuration, scalloped tank, hardbags, front wheel molded fender treatment is similar enough to what I gravitate to in a machine but different enough to qualify as different, but that Klingon tail end, the stepped fairing and lowers, boy that's taking some time to grow on me. I have been back to the dealer two or three times since the ride to sit across from that bike and try to settle my hash with it. I keep reminding myself that if I go ahead and buy this thing I'm not buying it to be seen on it, I'm buying it to be on it.
It will take more than a 20 minute test run for me to get dead starts and ABS stops dialed in. Play with the pressures, dance around in some parking lots with and without her onboard. I'm a believer in the 30 rule. First 30 days try to spend at least 30 minutes a day in the saddle, 30 minutes of no speed, 30 minutes of slow speed, 30 minutes of in town, 30 minutes of highway, 30 minutes at a time learning what the machine will and won't compromise with you on. Spend more, as much as possible but at least try daily to get to know the machine because it's the first 30 days that most people get their Darwin Awards for grabbing a whole can of go without learning how it does what it does.

·
Premium Member
12,976 Posts
Just because it has a tour pack doesn't mean it needs to stay on there all the time. The pricey but functional passenger backrest works well and they are both quick release. Really cuts down on those miles with a top heavy trunk on there.

It almost sounds like you're not too far off from needing to consider a trike. A guy in Canada is triking his XC. His pick of back ends looks to be one of the nicer ones in keeping with the lines of the bike. Click HERE for that info.

Edit: I almost forgot; welcome to the forum. I hope you can find the info you are looking for here.

There are lots of ways to put an extra 30 hp and tq into these motors that don't break the bank like it does with HD.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Post 3

Thanks for the reply BBob. Done trikes, done hacks (might get a Ural for groceries once we get back home to New Hampshire. Can't afford the space in our Wells Cargo to lug one around right now).
Thing is three wheels is one thing and two wheels is another. They are an option down the road but I'm not done on the twisties yet.

So we're coming up on the end of September and it looks like I'll be closing the deal on a Cross Country Tour before the calendar changes and the Red Tag sale goes with it. I have a couple choices in the Colorado zip code, but I'm still casting a little further into the pond since buying one 600 or a thousand miles away is a nice "get to know each other" ride back. If anybody knows of a good price on a new 2012 within a couple days ride of Denver, I'm all ears.

·
Premium Member
12,976 Posts
I know of a black used 2011 for $17k or best offer located in AZ. Has the trunk and $4k in accessories already. It's on the club forum. The write up is below.

Owned by long-time (over 40 years) rider. Handles great, good power, ride is as smooth as it gets with 4.65" rear suspension travel, 26.25" seat height, between 45-50 MPG out on the road, warranty to March, 2013, huge luggage capacity. It's in tip-top condition, tires are very good, current odometer reading is 10,827 miles (still riding it though). Just had the full 10K service done (7/06); needs nothing; ready to ride. Free & clear AZ Title.

The bike is well-equipped with accessories for any length trip, solo or 2-up, great wind protection with the aftermarket windshield and fork-mounted wind deflectors. The trunk is a quick-detachable setup if you want a leaner look and/or less weight for local riding.

Accessories and Upgrades ($4,000 total):

Victory Lock & Ride Trunk
Victory Stage 1 Kit
Cee Bailey 18" Smoked Dragon Windshield
Santa Rosa V-Twin +2" Pullback Bars, with black Avon Air Grips
Arlen Ness Smoked Lowers (they are longer than the Vic ones, more air deflectn
Victory Rider Backrest and Mounting Kit
Victory Highway Pegs - Forged-Bar Mount
Chrome Heel Shifter added
Chrome Clutch Arm cover
Custom Brake Pedal Pad
Shorty Antenna

I'm selling it because my wife is no longer going to ride with me regularly, if at all, and riding solo I don't need this much bike; going to go a bit smaller/lighter and back to a more basic/classic style bike. Call me at (480) 208-2260.

If you added the JTD lowers to this bike you would have an XCT.

Are you set on a new bike?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Any interest (at all) in the newer Indians? Nice bikes with nice engines and the dealership here in North Carolina has a few in stock. Mark is the owner and a great guy. If you were/are into the Indian heritage, he IS THE GUY! If you are ONLY interested in a legacy Indian, he can probably help you out there as well.

http://www.indianmotorcyclecharlotte.com/

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to sit down and run numbers on a used one BBob. That 5 year powertrain warranty sure is appealing to me on the 12's. Remember I'm coming from an Indian that ran out of factory and hence warranty three months after I bought it new for more than I paid for my first house.
That brings us to the new Indians ndabunka.
I will return to Indian. That's a given. Heck, I have just about enough Indian parts in the shed to put one together. No magic in that. That's how you ride an Indian. Have parts, follow leads searching for parts, beg for parts, swap parts, give parts to those in need, know what parts not Indian will fit on an Indian and when you cross out of home turf have your black book of all the Indian owners with parts along your route.
Right now, my circumstances demand a more conventional solution, a reliable bike with a supply chain.
I have a bud out on the West Coast (google Crazyhorse Motorcycle) who has made me an offer that I happily agreed to that will sometime in the future put a motorcycle under my behind that is essentially what my Indian could have evolved into had the Gilroy factory not imploded. But today is a beautiful day in the Colorado Rockies and I'm not riding. I am doing the next best thing to riding, I'm hustling to get riding in the next week or so.

·
Premium Member
12,976 Posts
I understand Pop. Sounds like you know what you want. It's just a matter of you finding it.

The 12's also have ABS brakes. For some people that is an important point. They are not linked like they are on the Vision so you can trail brake if you want.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm in.
I just dropped a check in the mail to a dealer about 400 miles down the road for a new 2012 Cross Country Tour of the red persuasion.

I have no issue with the color. This will be my second tomato in a row. My Chief was red. I thought about going with something different this time but for the price he agreed to the last thing I'm about to do is mench over the factory paint job. If paint is the problem they got an app for that.

So, here's my thoughts. I'm going to leave it stock through the break in, maybe right through next summer. I'm a tad over 6' so the bars seem right. If so, I can't think of much else that requires urgent change. Seat maybe, but I doubt it. Seems like a quality piece of furniture. The ride home from the dealer will sort me out in the creature comfort category anyway.

As far as juicing the mill, not likely. The best option that bike has is a five year powertrain warranty and Pop likee. I have never owned a bike that I didn't slap pipes and a free flow air box on right away. This time I'm going to have to be convinced. Hey, I might even listen to the radio. They tell me it has one.

Frankly, I been through more than a few scoots and none of them meet the bar this thing sets for bells and whistles. I will take my sweet time sorting out the keepers from the gotz2goze.

I don't have that crazy itch for it that I have had for some of my past iron but I will cop to feeling pretty good right about now.

·
Premium Member
12,976 Posts
A good choice. By getting the tour you get the full boat. Where you live, in either state, the lowers should not be a problem like it is in the South where we routinely have days over 95 degrees.

The color is sharp. I like the two-tone red and silver XC a bit better but like you said; easily changed. Could even be a garage project with the right equipment.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it's been almost 6 months without a bike under us. Still own a couple so I can't say I haven't had a bike but there's 2000 miles between my butt and them so it's as good as not having.
That changes tomorrow.
There's a red 2012 leftover XCT down in Albuquerque that I paid for sight unseen.
I had planned to take a bus or a puddle jumper down and ride it back up here to Colorado last weekend but I got sidetracked. Of course now it's all snow/sleet/rain today and it looks like that's the way the weekend will be. Frankly Pop didn't make it through to my ripe oldiness by hoppin on a brand new scooter and blasting up the Raton Pass while mother nature exorcises her various wintertime personality disorders.
So I'm going to take the Queens Avalanche at about 3AM and pick up a Uhaul trailer in Santa Fe on the way south.
Not a very edgy way to commence my Victory era, but at least come Saturday night I will have a bike in the shed.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Outstanding. That's a beautiful color and a great bike. Hope you really like the change in your ride. Good luck. (That kinda weather can't stick around too long...can it?)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, alrighty then.
The pass lived up to it's reputation. Sleet and hail, fog as thick as thieves, but Saturday morning at 6am it was pretty much just me and the mountain goats. At least I didn't have to follow Winnebagos up and down.
Got to Albuquerque middle of a sunny day, did a little ride with the shop owner and loaded up the beast into the trailer for home. In my own bed by 9pm.
Not counting the time at the dealers, the time at Uhaul picking up the trailer, three fillups, and a well earned Captains platter at Red Lobster in Santa Fe on the way home, I must of spent about 14 or 15 hours driving. If my math is right, after fuel, Uhaul and vittles I saved about 240$ an hour getting the bike down there over my best local deal. Yeppir, long day but worth it. Plus I seen mountain goats and mustangs along the old Santa Fe trail.

Then I had to wash it this morning just so I could get my hands all over it. Here's what I learned.
1. Way more plastic than necessary. Maybe that comes from being a Harley/Indian guy. For my sense of what is right there is just far more polymer based product on this thing than weight savings is an acceptable excuse for. I made promises to the Queen that I would refrain from tricking this one out, but I think the amount of plastic involved is going to make a liar out of me.
2. EZ off/ EZ on tourpack? No. It could be. It almost is.But no. Oh it will be by the time I am done with it. Same goes for the bags. Who in Sam Hill thought that the better solution was a special pin that is removed and then guided back in to a unique fastener that just screams " I am sheet metal and spring steel. I defy you not to break, warp, twist, snap and ultimately lose me. Go ahead, make my day!"? So that's going to be replaced with a nice set of pins mounted to the fender bracket so they
A. Do not get lost
B. Make setting the bags on location as easy as it can be instead of the current "as hard as it can be" method.
I'll put hairpin style keepers through those pins to hold the bags in place and keep the hairpins from disappearing with a little ball chain and an inconspicuous pop-rivet.

The pix do not come close on the color. Yet another reason to add to the umpteen million reasons that I have for never buying a Samsung phone again, but that's another forum.
Let's just say that you can lose yourself in that red flake. It has depth, dimension and it is a couple of orders of magnitude more eye candy than the other colors offered in 2012 on the Tour. I wanted black but this was a happy case of fate forcing my hand. Pretty? You betcha! Me likee.

Well, I got the Droid dongle. I'm going to go hook it up, head up one of these big Colorado hills and test the bikes cornering, brakes, and whether Samsung can deliver music better than they deliver pix.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts