1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Google Bushtec, they make one of the best hitches and trailers

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
BigD Custom Motorcycle Racks on Facebook. Much cheaper and great quality. He's gets back to you fast.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
418 Posts
Bushtec for me, regardless make sure to isolate the trailer and bike from each other.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I do plan on installing myself. Do the Bushtecs go on fairly easily? Also I have been looking for a placed to buy used parts. (Just like to see what they have available and maybe save a few $). There doesn't seem to be too many places out there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You mean electrically, yes?
Yes, electrically, sorry, the thoughts in my head do not always make it all the way to the keyboard.

Farmall300, it went on pretty easy, I did it on my garage floor without a lift. It gets a bit more complicated with ABS but I found the instructions explained it well and I found several who have posted step by step pictures of the install as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the Bushtechs kits come with the wiring. If not what do you mean by isolating the bike from the trailer exactly? Do you mean puting in relays and fuses to control the power?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Do the Bushtechs kits come with the wiring. If not what do you mean by isolating the bike from the trailer exactly? Do you mean puting in relays and fuses to control the power?
You can get it from Bushtec, Basically by isolating the the wiring you will need to run a hot and ground to the battery, then tap into the bikes harness for your left and right turn signals and brake light and running lights, at the other end of the isolator is the wires that go to your trailer. This keep the electric load off the bike to help prevent any failures do to a overloaded circuit . this isolator works great if you want to add other lights that might use a turn signal like led's on the floorboards

There isolator also has a hot wire at the trailer plug end so you could use this for a interior light in your trailer.

http://store.bushtec.com/product-p/99600000.htm

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
You can get it from Bushtec, Basically by isolating the the wiring you will need to run a hot and ground to the battery, then tap into the bikes harness for your left and right turn signals and brake light and running lights, at the other end of the isolator is the wires that go to your trailer. This keep the electric load off the bike to help prevent any failures do to a overloaded circuit . this isolator works great if you want to add other lights that might use a turn signal like led's on the floorboards

There isolator also has a hot wire at the trailer plug end so you could use this for a interior light in your trailer.

http://store.bushtec.com/product-p/99600000.htm
This is correct! Doing the research for wiring my bike for a trailer i found that this part is necessary. It removes any additional load from the turn signal module. Others have posted that the module is sensitive to higher draws. Apparently the module blows when the higher draw is applied. I don't remember the price of the new module but it was more than a new isolator.

My trailer has all LED lighting and may not have been a problem but I wasn't willing to take the chance. It would be especially important if you are adding incandescent lights, as they draw more power.

The one that Bushtec sells works well and seems well made.

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Dentdave and everybody. Good advice. Next question. I could also use some new tires. I bought the bike used a year ago and havn't had my own for close to 20 years. There is about 9500 miles on it with the stock Dunlop Elite 3's. Is this normal wear? I have priced new E3's and Metzler 888's. Both are about the same price. I also came across Michelen Commander II's. Anybody have exprience with these? I am an Agricultural mechanic by trade and have been very impressed with Michelens quality and durabilty in tractor and car tires. Wouldn't mind trying them here if the same characteristics follow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was looking for a hitch too, was between BushTec and Hitch Doc - who said they didn't have one that would fit my CCT (hitch doc). So I read this post with interest. I saw the mention of Big D and gave him a call. The guy was fantastic. He is currently working with me to build a hitch. Fantastic guy to talk to. Please consider giving him a call.

2014 CCT
Stock for now
Central Illinois

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Thanks Dentdave and everybody. Good advice. Next question. I could also use some new tires. I bought the bike used a year ago and havn't had my own for close to 20 years. There is about 9500 miles on it with the stock Dunlop Elite 3's. Is this normal wear? I have priced new E3's and Metzler 888's. Both are about the same price. I also came across Michelen Commander II's. Anybody have exprience with these? I am an Agricultural mechanic by trade and have been very impressed with Michelens quality and durabilty in tractor and car tires. Wouldn't mind trying them here if the same characteristics follow.
I have run the Commander II's on a previous bike and know many Harley guys that run them. It's probably the best tire on the market. The grip is outstanding wet or dry, and they last a LONG time. I am pretty happy with the stock E3's on my XC, but more than likely will switch to the MC II's when its time to get new ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts