Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at cruisers, mainly just Harley and victory. Pretty well narrowed it down to the victory jackpot. I've done a fair amount of research.
Found an 09 all stuck + victory saddle bags for $10500 how's this price sound to everyone else. From what I've seen it seems like a killer deal.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Seems high to me for a 4 year old bike, but not knowing where you live and what the usual price and supply is it might be spot on. You can always offer a lower number and then come up if he's not pleased with that. You didn't state condition or miles on the bike. Give us more to go on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops I was thinking it while typing just never did.
It is in perfect condition. I'm talking not a single scratch. It has 2800 miles. Guy bought two of them new for him and his wife but his wife never rides it. I tried looking at other ones in the area but all I could find for sale is a bunch of 07s

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
What did they want for the '07s?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One at the dealer was 9500 and all the ones on Craigslist and other private adds are right at 10k + or - 1k all with more but still decent miles

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
It appears to me that you're wasting your time here--that should have answered any question you had about value. If you have the cash in hand, I suggest going to the seller and start with a lowball offer, but tell him you are going to pay cash up front and go from there. If you have to finance it, buy a bike you can pay cash for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To tell you the truth I joined to ask other more relevant questions in other forum areas but can't till I post enough here so I thought I would just get everyone opinion while I try to be able to post else where thanks for your time though

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Not certain where RICZ post about "paying cash" is coming out of the blue from. You didn't ask anything about financing in this thread. Stating that one MUST ONLY pay cash for a bike is like responding to a tuning question with a recommendation to go with a Corbin seat because they are so nice.... Just doesn't fit in the context.

If it has the color and options you like, buy it...PERIOD! Why should it matter (to RICZ or anyone else online) HOW you pay for it?

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I was just butting in with some grandfatherly advice. A motorcycle is a want, not a need and if one continues to fill their lives with wants that they have to mortgage their futures for, then where will the money come from when a real need arises?
My first wife was a deficit spender and kept us constantly in debt. That marriage ended with her taking everything - house too - but leaving me the bills. I was not a high earner then, but managed to pay off those bills and swore to myself I would never go into debt again,except for a house.
I bought only needs for decades, paying cash or check. Yes, there were motorcycles to salve my addiction, but they were limited to used ones that I could write a check for without causing economic damage.
I denied myself a lot of things and luxuries that I wanted but didn't need and eventually I became more and more solvent. Not because of money that was coming in, but money that was not going out. Today I own my home free and clear. I bought my car with cash, the same as my XR. Being solvent is a great feeling as opposed to how I felt as a debtor.
Just some ramblings from an old man trying to be helpful. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you want it and can afford it, buy it.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I was just butting in with some grandfatherly advice. A motorcycle is a want, not a need and if one continues to fill their lives with wants that they have to mortgage their futures for, then where will the money come from when a real need arises?
My first wife was a deficit spender and kept us constantly in debt. That marriage ended with her taking everything - house too - but leaving me the bills. I was not a high earner then, but managed to pay off those bills and swore to myself I would never go into debt again,except for a house.
I bought only needs for decades, paying cash or check. Yes, there were motorcycles to salve my addiction, but they were limited to used ones that I could write a check for without causing economic damage.
I denied myself a lot of things and luxuries that I wanted but didn't need and eventually I became more and more solvent. Not because of money that was coming in, but money that was not going out. Today I own my home free and clear. I bought my car with cash, the same as my XR. Being solvent is a great feeling as opposed to how I felt as a debtor.
RICZ , IMO this post is excellent advice!thumb up

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
RICZ - I undderstand but don't see how it's related to this guy's post. You may want to consider that not everyone feels the same way. Some people believe in leveraging their assets and can often profit from doing so successfully (think of people who use margin accounts in trading stocks). Often times, one can make 200% (or more) than they make in a year in a "normal" job simply by (successfully) leverging their assest (investment cash). If that's the case, then it makes MUCH MORE sense to keep low interest notes on cars, bikes, homes so that all their accessible cash can be used to generate more profits than they could EVER earn in a "normal" job.

I don't use margin but I "could have" paid off my house. I did not and don't intend to (anytime soon) as that means I have more cash to invest with. I have no worries that I wouldn't be able to pay off the house. I just prefer the tax advantages of the 2% home mortgage I have on it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with financing a bike at all. It has it's benefits such as credit building. No credit is bad credit. I didn't have 20k between my couch cushions so it got financed. If I had to save the cash to pay for it up front, I'd never get it. Something else would always come up. There is nothing wrong with going after "wants" and financing it, you only have a short time on earth, make the best of it. If you've been gainfully employed your whole life, have reasonable job security, have plenty of financial wiggle room in case of a down turn then it doesn't make you irresponsible either. By all means, if you got the cash then pay cash but I wouldn't postpone personal enjoyment for no other reason than avoiding a contract of payment.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
As you can see, we do love a tangent here.

To the question at hand, $10.5k for a fairly rare, low-mile, really awesome bike sounds pretty fair to me. For a comparable Harley you'd be looking at a CVO Breakout or similar custom-jobbied Dyna and well...one of those will cost a LOT more.

An acquaintance of mine practically stole an '07 JP from a guy for $6500, but I wouldn't expect to find a deal that good.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
RICZ - I undderstand but don't see how it's related to this guy's post. You may want to consider that not everyone feels the same way. Some people believe in leveraging their assets and can often profit from doing so successfully (think of people who use margin accounts in trading stocks). Often times, one can make 200% (or more) than they make in a year in a "normal" job simply by (successfully) leverging their assest (investment cash). If that's the case, then it makes MUCH MORE sense to keep low interest notes on cars, bikes, homes so that all their accessible cash can be used to generate more profits than they could EVER earn in a "normal" job.

I don't use margin but I "could have" paid off my house. I did not and don't intend to (anytime soon) as that means I have more cash to invest with. I have no worries that I wouldn't be able to pay off the house. I just prefer the tax advantages of the 2% home mortgage I have on it.
You know this and I know this, but we are in a small minority. Had everyone used their money as wisely, the 2008 crash would never have happened, or would have had a much softer landing. The crash affected pretty wife and me very little. Unfortunately, money management is not taught in our schools, so few know how and that was the reason for my lecture.
With very few exceptions, vehicles are an expenditure that loose value, not an investment that appreciates in value. After buying one using someone else's money, you are upside down, owing more than its worth for a long time and God help you if you wreck it. There are too many dangers and pitfalls to deficit spending. We hate it when our government does it, so why should it be a beneficial thing for individuals to owe more than they have in reserve?
I agree...buy whatever you want on credit, as long as the interest is lower than what you are making with the cash you are investing. Some day you are going to want to retire with an income and reserve sufficient to do those things you want to do, but that takes planning and discipline. Two things that about 2/3 of us are avoiding and consequently paving the path to another crash.
Nothing wrong with putting money aside, where its earning interest, for that thing you want, and then paying cash for it. I'd rather do that than pay someone interest to ride/drive THEIR vehicle while I'm paying them rent for it.
But I'm just an old man, what do I know.:D

·
Registered
12,298 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The above statements are mostly true. I've financed my home, my wifes new car and my new car (Kingpin...it is my daily driver). But I'm not and haven't been upside down on any of them. The wise thing to do with anything you finance is to pay enough on it or put enough down to make sure you have instant equity. If bad comes to worse, you have room to get out from under it without going in default. I got the car in the middle of the economy colapse when they were almost giving cars away. Used book value was a few grand more than I paid for it new! In any case, I still made more than the min payment. My 30 year mortgage note will be paid off after 15 with the extra payments I make on it and same scenerio with the bike. I could sell each of these things for more than I owe and be under retail, profit and get out of debt IF I needed too. I hope it never comes to that.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
That's great thinking RB and the ONE good way to finance. You are making my point that if one has a cash reserve, that kind of buying is possible, otherwise they put themselves into a hole.
Disclaimer: I'm miserable at investing, so I have a financial adviser who does it for me (us). She has done a wonderful job of diversifying to the point where we have investments that go up when others are going down and vice-versa, but in a proportion that has netted wonderful gains for us. You go girl!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts