Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking to buy a victory in the very near future. The market here locally is actually rather limited. So I have branched out to ebay to look. I have a question if anyone has used good shipping companies. The ebay bike is located out of state and I will have to have the biked shipped. Moreover, I understand this is a general no no, but I will not be able to see the bike personally and inspect. However, I am going to use a escrow service that allows you to set a number of days for inspection prior to releasing funds. So overall thoughts? Any help on a good shipping company.

Thank you

·
Administrator
5,990 Posts
In my opinion, you should go meet her face to face, and if she's the one, bring her home yourself. If she's too far to ride home, buy another one which is closer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
is the bike being sold by a dealer or
an individual? makes a big difference.
dont be too quick to buy something, take your
time and keep an eye on the internet.
thats how i found mine you have to
look hard,unlike harley there is limited
supply on used vics. most people that buy
them tend to keep them.hmm...i wonder why?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Azdevil-
I wanted to give my .02 on this one.
I did the same thing....I couldn't find a Vic for decent $ locally, so I found one online
from ebay which was very reasonably priced, recent model, low miles, stock bike. I called the seller before I bid. The seller was a car dealer who was selling the bike for a bank that had repossessed the bike. The pics showed the bike to be clean. I had to get the bike shipped from half way across the country. It wasn't exactly like the one I had ridden at the local dealer, but was much better priced.

Needless to say, it all worked out. I have had the bike over a year without any issues. These bikes are very good and, unless abused or neglected, will be just fine with some attention.

I recommend buying used...if you can't buy new. The new bikes from Vic are AWESOME yet expensive, especially if you only ride casually for fun as I do.

The pre purchase inspection idea is a very good idea. I can't remember who I used for shipping, but it was a big name shipping company, and they delivered on time for the exact amount that I was quoted.

I definitely recommend going forward once you find the right bike for you.

Good luck, and welcome to the Victory Forum!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your input. After looking into it, I don't think it will work out with this particular bike. I am taking a small loan from my credit union and they require that all out of state bikes be inspected before loan approval. So basically the guy would have to be willing to ship me the bike to have it inspected prior to getting full payment. I would not do that if I were him, so I am not going to pursue it any further. I will just keep looking locally here in Phx for one to pop up.

·
Administrator
5,990 Posts
Thanks for all your input. After looking into it, I don't think it will work out with this particular bike. I am taking a small loan from my credit union and they require that all out of state bikes be inspected before loan approval. So basically the guy would have to be willing to ship me the bike to have it inspected prior to getting full payment. I would not do that if I were him, so I am not going to pursue it any further. I will just keep looking locally here in Phx for one to pop up.
So you live in or around Phoenix, AZ. You have no excuse not to find a local bike. Judging by your initial post, I thought you lived in some thick forest in Montana (nothing against Montana or forests).

Arizona is motorcycle heaven. If you can't find a local bike, Nevada and southern California are only a few hours ride.

Besides ebay, I suggest taking a look at local adds on craigslist. Take your time, and find your dream bike.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know that I'm the new guy, but your only 6 hours or $99 one way flight from San Diego. The guys I just picked mine up from where get to deal with. They are new to selling Victory so I think they tried extra hard to accomodate me and ever little OCD quirk I had. Great bunch of guys and a real nice store. Like I said what they may have lacked in Victory experience they definitely made up for it making me feel like my purchase was appreciated.
I bought a commercial truck in Texas once for the company I work for. The dealership reimbursed my flight and picked me up at the airport. It can't hurt to ask. Spend the day cruising the local mountains and back roads then head home.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Azdevil,
After rereading your post I noticed that you said you were looking to buy soon but you didn't mention what model or if you wanted new or used.

There is an individual that is selling a 2011 Cross Country in the classifieds on this forum. He wants $16,000 which is a great price since the bike includes a lot of extras.

Stage 1
Passenger backrest
iPod hookup
Taller windshield (plus OEM windshield)
D&D exhaust

This is about $1,800 in upgrades. So you can save some big bucks. You mentioned that your CU requires an inspection on out of state bikes. You may ask them if an inspection by a certified mechanic will suffice or if they have a subsidiary CU in Texas that can perform the inspection for them. If you are serious about looking for a Victory and want to get a great deal it would hurt to ask! The link below should take you to the ad.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4411

·
Registered
60 Posts
Waiting

Down there in Arizona, in that very large city, which has a local Vic dealer, given some time you should be able to find a good used Victory local to you - especially as spring comes and more bikes go up for sale.

Personally, I like to see a bike - I want to "meet her" and "get acquainted."

I just bought my Victory Hammer this past month and I used Craigslist. I bought a bike with around $9000 in upgrades, all well done, with just under 7000 miles on it, for a very good price.

It took a little while. I watched the market for some time waiting for a bike that really caught my attention - eventually this one appeared.

A few Vics came up, along with a lot of Harleys, but this Hammer captured by heart, sort of speak.

Remember to take your time.

Good hunting!:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
So lots of good thoughts on buying a Victory, there are more than 2000 for sale on Cycle Trader right now; a lot of them are new at dealers; but, I found my lightly, lightly used 2011 Kingpin 8 ball 20 miles from my house with 758 miles on it. Saved thousands and still in warranty with $1,500 in farkles.

My son is in the process of shipping coast to coast. Here are the guys:

http://haulbikes.com/ ..... no need to crate

All out the door it's about $750.00. And, it takes time because they have to work you into a schedule.

Closer to home would be better. You gotta get on it though. It's summer and you need to ride...probably out here to So Cal ....

Hey TYLERBEERS I'm in San Diego. Send me an email: [email protected]. We got ours. Let's ride.

PS: I'd go as new as possible and not be influenced by previous owners farkles. Newer is better. Farkles can wait. 2011 is best with new transmission and big motor across the line. Lots of fine tuning by Victory from year to year.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So you live in or around Phoenix, AZ. You have no excuse not to find a local bike. Judging by your initial post, I thought you lived in some thick forest in Montana (nothing against Montana or forests).

Arizona is motorcycle heaven. If you can't find a local bike, Nevada and southern California are only a few hours ride.

Besides ebay, I suggest taking a look at local adds on craigslist. Take your time, and find your dream bike.
I know Vics are a little hard to find sometimes- but i got my vic from AZ, and I live in Canada! Your area should be alot easier than mine!

Be patient- maybe another suggestion, let a couple dealers you would travel to know what you are looking for, how much you'd pay, and if someone comes along looking to trade in what you're looking for, they might be quicker to make a deal with them knowing they've got someone who'll immediately take that trade in.

·
Registered
755 Posts
This post was started in march and op never came back to check so there is no need to post suggestions :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts