Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been studying Harley's new engine (because I had one many years ago) and I know one has to have wrenches. Have not needed much more than a socket kit since rising metrics for the past 18 years.
Harley is an emotional buy. But prices are waaaaaay down from what i sold mine for used. Seems like a good buy for a 5k a year rider like me.

Victory is a great bike and a phenomenal buy used although there is no selection. We have one dealer here that went independent from the major and only Power Sports dealer. I don't think they have legs yet.

They are living on their own Accessories from this site
http://www.coastalvictory.com/default.asp?page=hot-vic

I don't want to have to ride (or be towed) 100 miles for service. There are some great prices on used Victories vs used Harleys

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Seems like a good buy for a 5k a year rider like me.

I don't want to have to ride (or be towed) 100 miles for service. There are some great prices on used Victories vs used Harleys
If you only put 5k miles a year on your bike, for the first 4 years, you really wouldn't have to do anything to your Vic besides a yearly oil change that requires and allen wrench, a jug of oil, a filter, and 18 minutes of your time.

I would suggest you might want to change the brake fluid every couple of years, but that's only another half hour of your time and a bottle of DOT4 fluid out of your wallet. You could always pay the garage an extra few bucks to do that when your tires need changing at ~10k intervals.

The odds of you needing to be towed are pretty remote. Take a look at all the guys around here who have done drama free IBA runs on theirs. Vics are solid machines.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you only put 5k miles a year on your bike, for the first 4 years, you really wouldn't have to do anything to your Vic besides a yearly oil change that requires and allen wrench, a jug of oil, a filter, and 18 minutes of your time.

I would suggest you might want to change the brake fluid every couple of years, but that's only another half hour of your time and a bottle of DOT4 fluid out of your wallet. You could always pay the garage an extra few bucks to do that when your tires need changing at ~10k intervals.

The odds of you needing to be towed are pretty remote. Take a look at all the guys around here who have done drama free IBA runs on theirs. Vics are solid machines.
Yeah thanks.,Thats All I have done with my Yamaha in the past few years. But I have the Service dept within a couple miles if I need anything. I did swap my brake fluid and have the dealer change the tires on the bike so they can adjust everything as well.

I already learned how to swap Cam tensioners on a Harley ($1400 job) but decided 07 and up is the way to go there. Three hole oil changed once a year would not be too bad.

The dilemma is there are far more choices for Harleys, far more service available from independents, and prices are low for used bikes. Easy to sell. But like the metrics one gets a whole lot more bike for money with a Vic especially pre owned. I am looking at sub 7K 09 Vegas' with asking prices of $9000 and Kingpins for even less if I cast a wide net.

I won't be buying new anytime soon. I learned my lesson with the Yamaha and seeing the gap between new and Used NADA on ALL bikes (even Harley is not the re sale it was when I sold mine) is not worth saving a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Unless you blow a fork seal and have neither the tools, time, nor inclination to repair it yourself, you won't need to see the dealer till the more technically demanding maintenance is due. :crzy:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Been studying Harley's new engine (because I had one many years ago) and I know one has to have wrenches. Have not needed much more than a socket kit since rising metrics for the past 18 years.
Harley is an emotional buy. But prices are waaaaaay down from what i sold mine for used. Seems like a good buy for a 5k a year rider like me.

Victory is a great bike and a phenomenal buy used although there is no selection. We have one dealer here that went independent from the major and only Power Sports dealer. I don't think they have legs yet.

They are living on their own Accessories from this site
http://www.coastalvictory.com/default.asp?page=hot-vic

The only thing I would tell you to do is use a fuel stabilizer. That few of miles a year on any bike is going to cause fuel issues eventually. I burn E10 but in your case would steer towards Premium UNL.

Whatever you do, do not get on a Vision. It will ruin you and all you will think about is a vision from that point forward. cheers

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
The only thing I would tell you to do is use a fuel stabilizer. That few of miles a year on any bike is going to cause fuel issues eventually. I burn E10 but in your case would steer towards Premium UNL.
I agree, if low miles are planned, fuel stabilizer and battery trickle charger are your two best friends. thumb up

Whatever you do, do not get on a Vision. It will ruin you and all you will think about is a vision from that point forward. cheers
Yeah, he can kiss goodbye his plan of riding only 5k/year. The Vision has a very sticky seat - once you're in it, you can't get off for a few hours a time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

I run Ethanol free 91 in my bikes and burn through around a tank a week all year long. I am more likely to need fuel stabilizer in the Tacoma LOL.

I cannot wrap my eyes around a Vision. Its a love or hate look. Polarizing from Polaris. I just don't care for the Space ship look.
More inclined to buy the more conservative looking Cross Roads Classic for the tourer. Anything with hard painted bags or dashboards are off the table

That said most of my riding is commutes. I don;t go on long rides since moving east from the west. Not much here except roads and trees. Out there I had to go 350 miles to get anywhere from Vegas and made those trips routinely. I had friends in San Diego where I lived a long time and a brother in Phoenix who rode as well. Riding into UTah and New Mexico was VERY nice...Lots of major scenery changes in all directions. Here its all the same. So touring is out.

Looking at King Pins, 8 Balls, with bags and shields. On the HD side I am looking at FLSTs, Soft Tails, Dynas. Love the Judge as well but its too new for good pricing pre owned. No spokes no White walls.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I am a 3.5k mile a year rider, or was one that is! I've got 3k on my XR since I bought it in late Sept and plan on putting a few thousand more before I reach the one year mark. The X bikes are so much fun to ride and can haul more stuff then you really need in the bags I try to ride every chance I get which is not as much as I would like. On a side note the X bikes are not American Iron but American Aluminum!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
On a side note the X bikes are not American Iron but American Aluminum!
Being from around Knoxville, I should think that's a good thing with Alcoa providing gainful employment there in Marysville. :)

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Being from around Knoxville, I should think that's a good thing with Alcoa providing gainful employment there in Marysville. :)
Damn Straight! thumb up

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harley hasn't had a new engine since 1999 (that was 14 years ago) so boy, when you study you really take your time with it...
The last time I owned a Harley was in 1995. So yeah since I have only recently started shopping I had to become familiar with the Twin Cam. VERY different from the Evo....Since buying metrics I never worried about engine design or maintenance. Only oil changes is all I ever done.
Did not need to know those engines.

The TCS have their own expensive quirks that are better learned to do ones self before one buys it and understands what they are getting into.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Will keep my EVO .. Owned my Last Twin Cam .. To be totally fair though if only do 5K a year shouldn't have any problems for 10 years .. Wasn't until hit the 60K Mark on my 09 Ultra everything went to hell in a hand basket ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts