Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im tired of the vibration and pain my harley gives me riding 2 up on long trips with my wife..

Does the cross country have any vibration issues riding 2 up? my hands and feet as hers also go numb from the vibrations ,,, it really sucks.. If done everything to "help" it but nothing works,, I've been told by many.. "it is what it is" well with 5 years left of payment,, it isn't so cool anymore..

when i bought the bike she had NO intentions on riding,, but now we ride all the time did 1000 miles last 2 weeks together..., and my bike is too small for this..

I love the looks of the cross country, defiantly want a fairing bike, esp like I can add a large back bag in the future.... any issues with them? are they iPod compatible? iPhone compatible? Mpg averages?

i don't like the vision at all,, its way to futuristic for me..

any advise?? thanks a ton,, tony

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know if I will be of much help but I'll try. I don't think you'll have any issues with vibration on the CC, my Vegas is super smooth. There has been some who have had issues with buffeting, mostly with the small windshield. If you are looking at the CC tour it has a taller windshield and the wind control system on the lowers that seem to work very well. My wife and I have only done one really long ride, to and from Sturgis, about 500 miles. You'll find the Victory's have plenty of power and cruise very nicely in 6th gear.
I love my Vegas, but I have already picked out my next bike. It'll be a CC Tour.......unless I can somehow afford a new Indian, they just look so sweet!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if I will be of much help but I'll try. I don't think you'll have any issues with vibration on the CC, my Vegas is super smooth. There has been some who have had issues with buffeting, mostly with the small windshield. If you are looking at the CC tour it has a taller windshield and the wind control system on the lowers that seem to work very well. My wife and I have only done one really long ride, to and from Sturgis, about 500 miles. You'll find the Victory's have plenty of power and cruise very nicely in 6th gear.
I love my Vegas, but I have already picked out my next bike. It'll be a CC Tour.......unless I can somehow afford a new Indian, they just look so sweet!
no wind doesn't bother me,, it is a motorcycle.. lol
my harley just puts out a buzz ,, esp under load or going on highway.. its unbearable... I've even gone as far as doing a 107ci stroker kit to give it more power.... still no better... and its the "balanced" engine lmao!! its a softail...

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
It would be wrong to tell you the XC doesn't have any vibrations. It's a motorcycle, so it does vibrate. But not all vibrations are the same. Some are more noticeable than others, and some are more annoying while others can be somewhat pleasant. To find out if it sets off your vibration sensor, the best and most accurate thing to do is test ride one. Don't worry, they won't pressure you to commit to buy the bike before you test ride it. Take her up on the freeway, and see how you like it.

For what it's worth, I'm in heaven when I ride mine. No issues what-so-ever. Yes, the Cross Country is iPod/iPhone compatible, and the fuel average is around 40mpg. Search the forum for other threads on these subjects for plenty more info. Good luck with your research.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can say from the passenger perspective that the 2011 XC is fantastic. My husband has a 2009 Jackpot, which is a beautiful bike, but rides teeth shattering stiff. I love to ride with him, so we had to go find a bike for me. And for me it was all about the seat. In fact our friends joke that he bought me a "20K seat" Plenty of space, incredibly comfortable, and very smooth. Tommy has confessed that although his Jackpot is an eye catcher, the XC is super comfortable, and in fact he now prefers it over the other. My only issue is the buffeting. We have a Ness flip windshield which works great for him (and would for me if I duck down for the entire ride) but my ride is pretty rough at anything over 55 mph. I just ordered the new Victory tall windshield as others have said it works well for passengers. He is not real happy with the cool factor, but since he has his own toy, this one is all about me! I will cut him a break though, and leave the Ness shield on for the day trips in the mountains and foothills.

You can't go wrong with this bike, looks great and rides even better. As an added bonus, in a sea of Harleys (including our friends) out riding on the weekends, it's really fun to be on a head turning Victory. ~ Susan

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
tmango, for what it's worth, I just took a 1200 trip on all kinds of roads in Oregon, Idaho and Washington. It was accomplished in 4 days and I had no discomfort of any kind. Considering that this is my first big twin cruiser (had Jap touring bikes for decades) and am accustomed to smooth multis, that's saying a lot. Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There's always gonna be some vibration but I don't find it very noticable, I've done almost 600 miles in a day and no numbness. I'm thinking you might want to look at the XC Tour. Everything comes with the bike, you won't need to add anythiing.

Cheers

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just completed a 3100 mile trip on mine; my wife met me in Rapid City, SD and completed the journey back through Colorado. She was making 500 mile days with the only complaint being that it was "hot", and it was; 107 through the Kansas plains.

The XC is an extraordinary bike. Getting up to Rapid City, I spent the night in Sioux Falls. The next morning a storm front was moving down from the northeast, having aerial tornadoes with walnut size hail accompanying. I left Sioux Falls in a hurry, and cruised at speeds exceeding 90 mph until I eventually got out from under the threat; that was almost to Wall, SD. There is always some vibration to a V-twin, but having ridden an Ultra I can tell you that there is absolutely no comparison. The handlebars on the XC are what us old timers refer to as "buckhorns", they're like ape hangers running horizontally. If you take your hand off the grip, the grip will indeed vibrate. Place your hand on the grip and it will stop vibrating; it's a result of undamped vibratory energy. It will not matter at all.

My advice would be for you to take your wife to a Victory dealer and test ride them. Be upfront with your reservations, and ask them to let you take it down an Interstate and check it out. If you're like me, you'll be hooked. You've now been warned . . .

·
Registered
790 Posts
Complaints of vibration that bad in your hands probably not a later model. Counter balanced engines are Twin cam 88 and up Softails and rubber mounted Road King's have been improved, but you say 5 years of payments left? Can't be that old so shouldn't be that bad. I had both. The RK got real smooth the faster you go, shook like the devil at idle. The Heritage, my last bike, was counter balanced Twin Cam 88. Smooth at idle, stayed about the same at all speeds. I recently traded the Heritage for the 2012 Tour, which after hearing what you want, later add tour pack, IPOD.... All these add ons cost ALOT individually. Better to bite the bullet initally as you biggest hit will be that you are probably underwater on the current bike.

When I test drove the bike I have to admit it did not blow me away for silky smoothness, but it did not shake my hands, did not vibrate my boots, it was just a different type of engine vibration. It is completely different the a Harley, so get that out of your mind right now. I kind of compare it to a cross between BMW and Harley, with a little Honda thrown in for good measure.

I only have a couple of hundred miles on it and can tell you I now simple love the bike! What did blow me away from the moment I got on the bike is how easy it is to manuever. I'm not a big leaner, and my HD would hit floor boards quickly. I'm still learning how far this bike comfortably leans as I use to scrap where I'm still going strong.

And for comfort with riding 2 up? WOW! The factory seats are way better than the HD. Yesterday I was on it for twice as long before stopping than my old bike. Helping this is the wind management on the Tour. Add big floor boards, Heated seats (for colder weather) wide back rest for passenger, adjustable floor boards, Big wide comfortable seating for them too. The mono air shock has more travel, and I just lowered my 2", and my ride didn't change at all but the bike feels more sporty. When I had lowered my RK the max was 1 1/2" and either I bottomed out or had to put so much air in the shock it was a board.

Go ride one MORE THAN ONCE! And don't forget no heel shifter on stock models, so don't start banging your heel when you pull out cursing and traffic starts beeping :)

1 down, FIVE up! Toe, Toe, Toe... (my heel shifter just arrived)

Oh yea, mpg... depends on driving habits, I'm still in break in, haven't hit 6 gear yet, and the computer says around 46mpg, and others report it gets better after 1,500 miles. Also my IPOD nevers leaves my bike! I have no radio stations even programed. I love the quieter pipes now and wind control and can CLEARLY hear it at any speed.

Bad news is this post is going to cost you some bucks... You're better off talking your self out out getting a new bike ;-(

·
Registered
573 Posts
.! its a softail...
Harley touring bikes Electraglide, RoadKing, etc) have rubber mounted engines and, although rough at idles, are relatively smooth when cruising. Softtail do not have this feature, and, in my opinion vibrate too much at cruising speeds. Plus, a softtail has no real luggage capacity, and not so great suspension. Better as a "bar bike" than any type of cruising (imho).

Compared particularly to this model, I think you will find the XC far superior for what you are using it for. You should look at the new 2012 Tour, as it includes all the stuff you mentioned, including a very nice, large, removable topcase, and ABS standard. You won't beleive how large the side cases are, as well.

·
Premium Member
13,657 Posts
+1 to what Greg Benner said. thumb upthumb up

Get the XCT. You can always change it around to be more local riding friendly if you want to later.

I'm doing it in reverse and making my XC to be more like an XCT up to a certain point. I like to pull the trunk when not going on trips and don't want the taller shield on a daily basis. The jury is still out on the XCT hard lowers but it sounds like they are good to at least 90 degrees before hot legs becomes an issue.

Even with just the trunk on; the bike can be a bit tippy when going slow. Packing the bags with the heavier stuff and keeping the light stuff in the trunk can help with that. The rear speakers with the trunk on are a plus though.

I'm an "old" Harley guy too and honestly; HD has nothing to compare to the XCT. There are just too many differences with handling, suspension, and storage capacity being just a few of the main ones. It doesn't take much to wake these, already strong, Freedom engines up either. I did a home made Stage 1 for under $35. Very pleasant difference. I'm looking forward to installing the Lloydz VM-1 cams in the future though. I hear that's an excellent and still cost effective upgrade when coupled with a muffler upgrade and a PC-V or even a Stage 1 flash. Our resident guru, KevinX, is still experimenting with his XC.

There's no official word on how long the Freedom engine will last but the unofficial word is 150k+ miles. And those are fairly low maintenance miles. Properly cared for; who knows how long they will last...

If image isn't that important to you; the XCT will be. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow.. tons of posts! I've been out ring all day. sorry..

its not so much the vibration that i agree andy twin has,, its a high frequency buzz you get through the whole bike,,, its soooo bad,,, its like sitting on a vibrator,, no joke,,

To answer some ?'s,, its an 2008 crossbones springer softail.. just did 200 miles with the wife,, on the way home,, she could stand it anymore her feet hurt her so bad... i told her what she feels in her feet,, i get in my hands..

she's not into buying another bike,, but with 5 years of payments left,, what should I do>>,, its ok with just me,, still get the buzz,, but when she's is with me,, that extra load make it buzz so bad.. its just un-fun..

i stopped with her today to look at the victory cross country and a kawasaki vaquero ( my other favorite) she likes the kawasaki better,, she thinks the victory is ugly,, (as I did until it started growing on my) but she's extremely negative about the whole buying a new bike anyways...

Im going down to a dealer who does the test drives prob this weds,, they have 2 dealerships,, 1 right near my house that does mostly used bike with a yamaha dealer all in one,, his brothers store about 1 1/2 hours from here is a big victory dealer,, he offered me 14k for my bike towards any of his bikes,, and his brother told him he would do the same,, so thats pretty tempting since the most i was offered before that was 12k at most dealers... 1 harley dealer offered me 13,800 but it was towards an ultra road glide thats 24k!

I love harley's ,, but as a 2 up they do deem small next to the victory,, the used dealer i spoke of also does rentals,, and they have pretty much any bike you can think off,, and comparing a ultra electaglide next to the cross country was a joke in the seating and foot positions,, the victory was way way bigger,, and 100 pounds lighter, and 5k less in money....

so ill go down and drive one this week,, and if i love it,, i may rent one for the day and take her for a good run... that may make her change her mind quickly if its as good as you all say it is.... its 100 bucks for the day...

thanks for all your input! i really appreciate it!

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
so ill go down and drive one this week,, and if i love it,, i may rent one for the day and take her for a good run... that may make her change her mind quickly if its as good as you all say it is.... its 100 bucks for the day...
Great idea. That way the misses will get her vote too. thumb up

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to ask. Do the dealers give price breaks? Or just msrp. I have seen visions marked down but never cross country's. Thx again

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
I forgot to ask. Do the dealers give price breaks? Or just msrp. I have seen visions marked down but never cross country's. Thx again
Everything's negotiable. How much depends on how desperate the dealer is to move the product you're interested in. That changes from day to day, and it varies from location to location. If you do your homework (ie contact more than one dealer before you throw your wallet on the table) and go back and forth a few times (don't buy on your first visit), you should be in good shape.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm sure it depends on you, where you live, and the dealer, but.... I would expect at a minimum no shipping and assembly charge, and at least a $1,000 off MSRP. I did better that than that on my 2011, as have others, but that would be a minimum. JMHO.

Also, last yeat, if you test rode during one of the Victory test ride weekends, you got another $1,000 off from Victory, either in cash or "stuff". I would check that out if you are really interested.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sure it depends on you, where you live, and the dealer, but.... I would expect at a minimum no shipping and assembly charge, and at least a $1,000 off MSRP. I did better that than that on my 2911, as have others, but that would be a minimum. JMHO.

Also, last yeat, if you test rode during one of the Victory test ride weekends, you got another $1,000 off from Victory, either in cash or "stuff". I would check that out if you are really interested.
If you have a 2911, let us know what we to look for please. Its great having info that far ahead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sure it depends on you, where you live, and the dealer, but.... I would expect at a minimum no shipping and assembly charge, and at least a $1,000 off MSRP. I did better that than that on my 2911, as have others, but that would be a minimum. JMHO.

wow really,, that would be sweet,, $1000 is a ton of money,,,

I was just wondering,, harley dealers are the same way,, 1 will be an msrp dealer,, 1 will be over msrp,, and 1 will discount the bikes right on the floor....

just the victory dealers around here are not very exclusive,,, there all huddled with another brand, and they seem very eager to sell them,, but don't want to haggle with price,,, ill try this weds/thurs i have off,, they already offered me way more for my trade,, so we'll see...

thanks for the info people! really!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can say from the passenger perspective that the 2011 XC is fantastic. My husband has a 2009 Jackpot, which is a beautiful bike, but rides teeth shattering stiff. I love to ride with him, so we had to go find a bike for me. And for me it was all about the seat. In fact our friends joke that he bought me a "20K seat" Plenty of space, incredibly comfortable, and very smooth. Tommy has confessed that although his Jackpot is an eye catcher, the XC is super comfortable, and in fact he now prefers it over the other. My only issue is the buffeting. We have a Ness flip windshield which works great for him (and would for me if I duck down for the entire ride) but my ride is pretty rough at anything over 55 mph. I just ordered the new Victory tall windshield as others have said it works well for passengers. He is not real happy with the cool factor, but since he has his own toy, this one is all about me! I will cut him a break though, and leave the Ness shield on for the day trips in the mountains and foothills.

You can't go wrong with this bike, looks great and rides even better. As an added bonus, in a sea of Harleys (including our friends) out riding on the weekends, it's really fun to be on a head turning Victory. ~ Susan
thank you susan for the info,, the way i look at it is the happier she is the more we get to ride, she's not a tiny woman,, and needs the room to be comfy,, and my harley is cool as hell and gets TONS of attention.. but it handles like crap, stops like crap, and rides like crap... it is very fast though, due to the 107 engine,,, but other than its looks and fast acceleration,, it has nothing for actual pleasure from riding it....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts