Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you remember the company Carbon Fiber Helmets and they had another name I can't remember.

They sold the lowest profile DOT helmets on the market. They were pretty damned comfortable too.

A couple of years ago they went under because it was found out they were not DOT.

By the description of these helmets they either started up under a different business name or someone bought the helmet making process from them.

Either way the helmets are comfortable.

http://www.skullcrushgear.com/skull-crush-beanie-helmet.html

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I don't know if any of you remember the company Carbon Fiber Helmets and they had another name I can't remember.

They sold the lowest profile DOT helmets on the market. They were pretty damned comfortable too.

A couple of years ago they went under because it was found out they were not DOT.

By the description of these helmets they either started up under a different business name or someone bought the helmet making process from them.

Either way the helmets are comfortable.

http://www.skullcrushgear.com/skull-crush-beanie-helmet.html
So they are back on the market and explicitly state that they are NOT DOT approved. They probably bought the production capabilities and came out with a less stringent marketing line. Looks good and would be better than nuttin on the noggin...

PS - I saw some of these at MB Bike Week and they were going for the same price $125/each

·
Registered
567 Posts
So they are back on the market and explicitly state that they are NOT DOT approved. They probably bought the production capabilities and came out with a less stringent marketing line. Looks good and would be better than nuttin on the noggin...

PS - I saw some of these at MB Bike Week and they were going for the same price $125/each
$125 and it isn't DOT....? Sounds a little pricey for a "novelty"....I am sure our friends in blue will understand if it isn't DOT.......NOT..!!! I can't afford to throw money to my community for the ticket that would result from this lid....I need it for my bike mods....LOL Thanks but no thanks :cool:

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it a bit odd that they are charging almost the same price when they were supposed to be DOT certified and now they aren't.

It IS a novelty helmet and anything over $30.00 is a lot for a novelty.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
There are other carbon fiber options which are DOT for those with carbon fiber fetishes. and are in the $50-100 range. Or if the nice and small size is what you're after, there's a lot of novelty helmets out there for a lot less, as you guys pointed out above. :)

I really wish to buy my next helmet in person. The best helmet (which ends up always on my head) is also the cheapest one I have - got thrown in free with a previous bike. But I did pick it in person. The other ones, bought online, are more expensive, supposed to be better, but I never wear them. They just don't fit as well. Helmets are like shoes, and since I never buy shoes online, I don't know how I got myself buying helmets online.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I bought one off these helmets before they went under. Seemed really nice till I got the recall letter from them for not being DOT. They were offering full refunds but they went under before I got mine. From what I recall the helmet only failed one DOT test, the spike penetration test. Other than that it was legit.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ain't none of them real carbon fiber.:ltr:
Not advocating them but according to their website Daytona Helmets are 100% real carbon fiber
Real Carbon Fiber
Cost More Per Ounce
100% Carbon Fiber!
No Prints or Fillers Used

Fake Carbon Fiber
Priced Ridiculously Too Low
Dyed Fiberglass Or Fiberglass Fill
Overall Appearance

We Use 3K, 5 Harness Satin Weave Carbon Fiber. This Is the Heaviest, Tightest And Strongest Weave On The Market Giving You 50% More Carbon Fiber Per Ounce. Originally Created For The Aerospace Industry, We Know That We're Giving You The Absolute Best Carbon Fiber. Most Commonly And Readily Available Are The Light Weight Plain Twill Weaves Which Gives You Less Carbon Fiber Per Ounce. At The Same Time, Others May Use Dyed Fiberglass Or May Thicken Their Shells With A Fiberglass Backing Giving It A False Appearance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts