Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with my 07 vegas and S&S airbox. There is excessive play at the front of the intake about an inch or so and the back of the intake seems to be solid with no play.

This play occurs where the throttle bodies connect to the intake boots on the bottom. The top of the throttle bodies that are connected to the S&S intake are solid.

The rubber that is glued to the outside of the throttle body was tearing off on the front side but I do not see how that would effect how tightly it fits into the intake boots.

Are there supposed to be clamps on the top and bottom of the intake boots? There are only clamps on the bottom where it connects to the motor now.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I watched a guy putting on a new airbox at the AVR. When he was doing the throttle bodies, I think the gasket/boot was coming apart. He put a new part in before finishing the assembly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I just completely removed the throttle body to get a closer look and I think thats exactly what happened. I didnt realize the boot was all one piece.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im hoping this will fix my Ignition fuse problem. That fuse keeps blowing everytime I try to take off. It will start fine but as soon as I hit the throttle that fuse blows.

I know that is probaly a short but I didnt know if Vics had a limp mode like some cars when there is a catastrophic problem such as an air leak.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a problem with my ignition fuse blowing too. Bike left me stranded on the road. I have the same air intake as you , S&S on my 07 vegas 8 ball. I removed the tank and started looking for bare wires, shorts. I found the wires that go to the ignition coil were shorted out on the throttle cable mount on the back side of the throttle body. The wires were routed around the cable and were rubbing on the sharp edge of the mount. I disconnected the cable that was shorted and rerouted it not to go around the throttle cable which gave the wires more room. I also took some car door trim and glued it to the sharp edge of the mount. I did remove the wire but my fuel line runs along that same edge and I don't want a fuel leak. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thanks for the response. I just completely removed the throttle body to get a closer look and I think thats exactly what happened. I didnt realize the boot was all one piece.
Glad to have helped! I thought I was in a little over my head on this one, but the favorite thing at AVR was watching this guy wrench on an '07 Kingpin Tour. I have an '08. He was putting in new valve cams and timing gears at the portable dyno area and had everything torn down and I watched him put it back together.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I had the same problem and posted a thread about it but mine had completely separated so that I could lift the throttle bodies with mounting plate still attached right off of the rubber intake manifold. I just used some silicone caulk and glued it back together and let it sit overnight to cure. The best part for me is that it greatly reduced the popping from the RPW Slash exhaust I have.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a problem with my ignition fuse blowing too. Bike left me stranded on the road. I have the same air intake as you , S&S on my 07 vegas 8 ball. I removed the tank and started looking for bare wires, shorts. I found the wires that go to the ignition coil were shorted out on the throttle cable mount on the back side of the throttle body. The wires were routed around the cable and were rubbing on the sharp edge of the mount. I disconnected the cable that was shorted and rerouted it not to go around the throttle cable which gave the wires more room. I also took some car door trim and glued it to the sharp edge of the mount. I did remove the wire but my fuel line runs along that same edge and I don't want a fuel leak. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Thanks I will be sure to check that out. Mine left me stranded too I rented a Uhaul motorcycle trailer for $15 and towed it home.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to have helped! I thought I was in a little over my head on this one, but the favorite thing at AVR was watching this guy wrench on an '07 Kingpin Tour. I have an '08. He was putting in new valve cams and timing gears at the portable dyno area and had everything torn down and I watched him put it back together.

I am in the process of installing some Lloydz VM-1 cams which is when I discovered the loose airbox. Cant wait to get them in and throw the bike on the dyno.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same problem and posted a thread about it but mine had completely separated so that I could lift the throttle bodies with mounting plate still attached right off of the rubber intake manifold. I just used some silicone caulk and glued it back together and let it sit overnight to cure. The best part for me is that it greatly reduced the popping from the RPW Slash exhaust I have.
I could have tried that but the rubber itself was very dry and cracked. I ended up purchasing a new part. It is called a throttle body adapter and sells for $63 part number 01203277 for my 07 vegas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts