Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of an upcoming project, I'm considering removing the oil filter on my '12 XCT... temporarily (for a few minutes), all by itself, not as part of an oil change, i.e., not draining any oil first via the standard drain plug. And then putting the filter back on.

Sorry to be so ignorant about this, but I have to ask: if I take off the oil filter for a few minutes, will 4+ quarts of oil gush out where the filter screws on? Or will just a little dribble out? (BTW, let's assume that the engine is stone cold.)

And if a huge amount won't pour out, will there be even less if the bike is on the sidestand, or if it's straight up, in a chock? And am I correct that boosting the shock up to its max 70-or-something PSI will make matters better, i.e., slightly tilting the bike toward the front?

·
Registered
190 Posts
You will lose what is in the filter and a little bit that is in the system. You can do what you want and not worry about it. Just add back the 8-10 ounces or so of oil back into the sump when you are done.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Filter removal

If the Filter is removed the oil will come out reasonably quick.
If you are totally ready and fast.....
"My" guess is that you will loose 1/2 quart.
If you clean around the filter for loose dirt etc. and If you keep a clean drain pan under the filter, you can reclaim most or all of it. thumb up

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies.

Any thoughts regarding having the bike upright vs. on the sidestand? Probably not make any difference?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The bike should be upright with the stick screwed in to get an accurate oil level. Add about a cup and start it. Check for leaks. Let engine sit and oil drain back down. Check oil level add if necessary.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike should be upright with the stick screwed in to get an accurate oil level. Add about a cup and start it. Check for leaks. Let engine sit and oil drain back down. Check oil level add if necessary.
Thanks for the suggestions. I do my own oil changes, so I'm pretty familiar with the process. I just didn't know -- in this special, one-time situation -- whether all/most/some/a-little of the oil would flow out, if I removed only the oil filter for a few minutes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, why would you need to remove just the filter? I have seen somewhere where people change their oil filter every 2500 miles and oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

I always do both at the same time no matter what, so I am just curious, thanks.

·
13,002 Posts
Think about this if your bike is running 50psi for oil pressure. Now that pressure is all so going into the oil filter.
So your going to get a big spray of oil all over the back of the bike the garage floor and your self. You will not be able to shut the bike off fast enough before loosing a bunch of oil.
If your doing this to clean out the passageway pull your plug wire so the bike will turn over but not start.

For the life of me I so not understand why you would run the bike with out a filter. It would not accomplish any thing.

Let us know what happened

·
Registered
367 Posts
VJ

I don't think he is going to start the bike up just take off the filter for some kind of maintenance. :ltr:

·
13,002 Posts
Guess I read it wrong. He said for a few minuets with made me think he was going to run bike.
If has ever did a oil change and pull his filter he would know that not much of any thing comes out

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think in general people tend to drain first, then remove the filter so there wouldn't be much oil to come out. So in that case his question is valid: IE, leaving the oil in and removing the filter versus draining the oil and removing the filter.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you don't mind me asking, why would you need to remove just the filter? I have seen somewhere where people change their oil filter every 2500 miles and oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

I always do both at the same time no matter what, so I am just curious, thanks.
Don't mind your asking at all. I plan to install an "oil filter sandwich," to add an oil temp sensor. If you have time, read through this thread, that started out talking about dipsticks: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=83778

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess I read it wrong. He said for a few minuets with made me think he was going to run bike.
If has ever did a oil change and pull his filter he would know that not much of any thing comes out
Yes, I change my own oil at 5,000-mile intervals (except for the initial change). I now have 21,000 miles on the bike.

When I change my oil, I run the bike up to temp, shut it off, and remove the dipstick and the drain plug, and let it drain for a while. I then remove the filter, and not much dribbles out.

For this project -- which I never said was an oil change -- I plan to not run the bike, either before or during. I just plan to remove the oil filter, so I can put an oil filter sandwich on the engine, and then put the oil filter back on that.

Since this is not part of an oil change, I will not be draining most of the oil first. Since I have never removed the oil filter without draining most of the oil first, I wondered whether I'd have a gusher on my hands. That's all.

VJ: I'm getting really tired of your criticisms. I realize this a public forum, and if I put public statements and questions out there, I have to man up and take heat and nonsense. Occasionally. Fine, duly noted. In this particular case I never said anything about running the bike at any time, and I never said anything about this being part of an oil change, or a replacement for an oil change, and so forth.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think in general people tend to drain first, then remove the filter so there wouldn't be much oil to come out. So in that case his question is valid: IE, leaving the oil in and removing the filter versus draining the oil and removing the filter.
Yep, I'm with you. I remove the drain plug first, per the owner's manual, the shop manual, and the way I've always done oil changes. In this case, however, I won't be changing the oil -- just gonna stick an extension on the filter -- and so wondered how much will drain out through the filter hole.

·
Registered
129 Posts
WSPOLACK, I see and understand what you are doing now and thanks for the link on the whole idea. I think that is going to be very interesting and I look forward to what you come up with as you go along and conduct your tests. There are a lot of claims with different oils, set ups, etc. as well as the Harley world as I am more familiar with, so this should be interesting and will try and follow your results. Thanks and good luck cheers

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WSPOLACK, I see and understand what you are doing now and thanks for the link on the whole idea. I think that is going to be very interesting and I look forward to what you come up with as you go along and conduct your tests. There are a lot of claims with different oils, set ups, etc. as well as the Harley world as I am more familiar with, so this should be interesting and will try and follow your results. Thanks and good luck cheers
I've already bought and received the sandwich, and already ordered the gauge and the sensor that comes with it. I'm waiting for a BSPP-to-NPT adapter, and waiting for the sensor to actually arrive so that I can order some expandable wire insulation I have in mind (but have to know the size of the electrical plug on the meter side of the sensor's wiring). And I'll be ordering some metal cable ties from the same place that I'll be getting my insulation.

Last -- and this will happen next week -- I will set the rear shock at 0 PSI, and have two heavy guys bounce on the bike while it's in a chock. I will be sort of underneath the bike, making sure that adding an inch to oil filter doesn't result in any clearance issues.

If all of that works out OK, I'll do the install. And then a write-up with pics, parts, and descriptions... as I've done after adding LED mirrors ( http://www.billanddot.com/adding-rivco-led-mirrors.html ), relocating the rear shock valve ( http://www.billanddot.com/shock-valve-relocation.html ), and, last week, adding a flasher to the trunk LEDs ( http://www.billanddot.com/customled-brake-light-flasher.html ).

Thanks for your interest in this project -- helps me feel that I'm not chasing a pipe dream.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts