Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Only have 800miles on my new XC and I'm experiencing total loss of electrical/power, engine dies. This has happened at idle in my garage once, and 4 times when driving. May be my imagination, but I think it has happened when I adjust the music/radio controls. I'm not touching the kill switch either. It usually starts back up as it rolls along, loss is 10-15 seconds. Has anyone had experience or heard of this happening?

Checked battery cables and solenoid wiring, all looks fine. Taking to dealer on Monday, not optimistic they'll find anything without being able to duplicate on command.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It sounds to me like the main circuit breaker is kicking in. If that's the case, I would suspect a faulty circuit breaker since I would expect other circuits to be protected by fuses that would blow before the main circuit breaker would fire.

However, you could also have something else shorting directly to ground.

When I was installing the battery tender cable on my 2011 XC, I came across something you might want to just check on your bike.

Behind the oil cooler is a plastic cover at the base of the front cylinder that covers the starter slenoid and other electrical components. This cover is held in place by a single screw that goes through the cover from the front of the bike above the battery. The screw goes into a c-clip that is attached to the frame. In my case, I found this screw to be long enough that it was going into the red rubber boot that covers the positive battery cable connection on the starter solenoid. I didn't like the fact that over time this screw could cut through the boot and cause a direct short from the solenoid connection to the frame. I doubt this is the problem in your particular case, but it might be something to check anyway.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Battery cables tight. Silly question but I've had that happen on 2 bikes and that was the culprit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2011 XC. This exact same thing has happened to me also. It has happened to me 4 different times now. It first did it with around 600 miles on my bike (800 miles now).It is always when I start to slow down. I will pull in the clutch to downshift, and it will lose all power and the engine dies. I just let back out on the clutch and it has always fired right back up. I spoke to my dealer about it, and he said the only thing he could think of was it might possibly be running a little rich, since I have the D&D exhaust on with no remap of the fuel system. I told him that I didn't think it was running rich at all, but I would just see if it continues to do this and bring it back to him to check it. Is your exhaust still stock? If you happen to find out why yours is doing this, keep us all posted.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mine did it once. I needed to install my trickle charger to the battery so when I started to undo the battery cables, both cables were loose. After installing the trickle charger and tightening the cables it hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
289 Posts
howdy

i have just about 9.5 k on my 2010 xc...a couple of weeks back i was at a light..and fiddling wiht the audio to get a freeway tune up...i did not know how it worked too well and was hammering on the middle button...searching ...and it died...keyed right back up...and good thing this....as it was heavy traffic..just this once...these days i don't hammer so much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stalls

My cc has done it 3 times in the last 2 days. Same thing slowing down like I hit the switch but it starts right back up.
Any Victory techs have an Idea. 2011 with 400 miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Checked my battery cable connections today. They were both loose. While I was in there, I tightened every thing I could find. All solenoid bolts, etc. Didn't have time to go for a ride to check it out, but hopefully this was the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 XC Cuts-out

My 2011 XC cuts out, dies, looses all electrical power frequently when I let off the throttle or when I am just pulling away from a stop. It has happened in pretty much every gear. Usually only when the fuel gets below 3/4 of a tank. Never seems to happen on a full tank. Seems to have nothing to do with anything. If I come over a hill and pull in the clutch, it might die. Last ride, it cut-out nearly a dozen times. Problem began at about 250 miles on od.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My 2011 XC cuts out, dies, looses all electrical power frequently when I let off the throttle or when I am just pulling away from a stop. It has happened in pretty much every gear. Usually only when the fuel gets below 3/4 of a tank. Never seems to happen on a full tank. Seems to have nothing to do with anything. If I come over a hill and pull in the clutch, it might die. Last ride, it cut-out nearly a dozen times. Problem began at about 250 miles on od.
Do not play around and try to find the problem that what the warranty is for. The only thing I would do is check the battery connections and if that does not fix it to the dealer it goes.

just a thought

dd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took to dealer, they couldn't find anything obviously wrong. They disconnected all connections and clean them and reconnected. Took bike on 800 mile run and it cut out only once for a second or two. Before taking to dealer, it was happening very frequently. I think the stumbled across a loose wire or connector, partially fixing it. Doing another long ride next weekend up the ca coast, I'll see how it acts. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
As I had stated earlier, my bike has done this numerous times. I tightened battery and solenoid cables. I have put a little over 1500 miles on it since then, and it has not happened again.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Same thing has happened to me 2x yesterday when I was pulling in to get gas, and another slowing down. Checked all cables - battery & solenoid, snugged them up a tad but none were really loose. Will see what happens.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
My vision does same thing. Dealer tightened loose battery cables thought to be the culprit but it did not help. They have a new circuit breaker ordered and will install in a few days. We will see if this is the fix.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Freaked me Out

howdy

i have just about 9.5 k on my 2010 xc...a couple of weeks back i was at a light..and fiddling wiht the audio to get a freeway tune up...i did not know how it worked too well and was hammering on the middle button...searching ...and it died...keyed right back up...and good thing this....as it was heavy traffic..just this once...these days i don't hammer so much.
Mine did the same exact thing when I was fiddling with the tune switch, I'm going to replace the main circuit breaker just in case

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad I happened upon this thread. Never happened to me before until I got my D/D's installed with the VFC and Lloydz air filter. Figured it was that because she just cuts out and thought it was because of the bike running too rich or something (I'm a mechanical retard). Luckily, she starts right back up when I pull in the clutch and hit the start button. Thankfully it hasn't cut out in a dangerous situation.

Having said this, I believe once you unplug the O2 Sensors, that voids your warranty........so I don't think I can take it back to the dealer and be covered under that??

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Having said this, I believe once you unplug the O2 Sensors, that voids your warranty........so I don't think I can take it back to the dealer and be covered under that??
1. Plug them back in.
2. Don't bring up your O2 sensors to the dealer and I bet he won't bring them up to you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
BMW K1300S bikes were having same problem. Factory suggested running a fuel system cleaner and ride the bike like you stole it. Issues are resulting from EPA regulations, I believe. I never had the problem on my BMW, but I took it to redline often enough to keep it running clean. Guys having problems were shifting to early and not running the motor as it was designed to be run. Just my $.02.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Glad I happened upon this thread. Never happened to me before until I got my D/D's installed with the VFC and Lloydz air filter. Figured it was that because she just cuts out and thought it was because of the bike running too rich or something (I'm a mechanical retard). Luckily, she starts right back up when I pull in the clutch and hit the start button. Thankfully it hasn't cut out in a dangerous situation.

Do you lose all of your power, I mean is everything dead when this happens? the reason I ask is that a rich mixture isn't going to cause everything to go dead but loose battery cables and a questionable main circuit breaker will.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts