Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Lost a Friend Last Night

2K views 21 replies 22 participants last post by  Chattanooga Mark 
#1 ·
I'm sad to say that a friend of mine was killed yesterday evening while riding his motorcycle home from work. As he was heading east on a 2-lane highway, there were 2 vehicles heading west. The first vehicle, who was a jacka$$ pulling a trailer without operational lights, slowed to make a left turn. The second vehicle didn't see that the first one was stopping, swerved into the eastbound lane at the last second, and hit my friend head on, killing him instantly. He was 51 and leaves behind an adult son and a girlfriend with whom he had just bought a house. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

I met him last summer right after I bought my first motorcycle, a Kawasaki Voyager. He also rode a Kawasaki and was waiting for me beside my bike after work on the first day I rode it in. He was like a big kid the way he excitedly talked about bikes and riding, and I liked him from the start. He was also the first person to welcome me into the motorcycle community by asking me to join the local Kawasaki riding club, and to go riding with another great group of guys on a regular basis. We've since ridden about 8,000 miles together including an Iron Butt ride, Rolling Thunder, and a 10-day trip through the Montana Rockies just a month ago; experiences I will never forget and might have never done as a new rider without his encouragement.

To me, he was more than just a riding partner...he was a friend. His excitement about riding, but even more so his friendliness, will forever hold a place in my heart and memories. He didn't know it, but I was in a very rough patch on life's road at the time I met him. His unreserved acceptance, along with that of the rest of the riding group, made life better for me just when I needed it. That is his legacy in me that I would like to pass on.

I rarely make emotional decisions, but I am really struggling with whether to keep my bike or not. I'm not afraid to ride it...I even rode it to work today. However, to keep it seems very selfish because his accident has reminded me that I have my wife and 3 of my 4 daughters depending on me as their sole source of income, as well as being there to be their Dad. Life insurance replaces the money, but nothing could take away their anguish in losing me in a tragic or avoidable way.

Thanks for letting me lay all this on you,
Stew

See less See more
Reactions: jkcerda
#2 ·
Very sorry to hear. It's never good for a rider to go down but when its friends or family its pretty tough.

I get it...thinking about giving up riding, had the same thoughts myself a few times over the years. But I have also lost family and friends in cars, freak hiking incidents etc.

It is a bit different on a bike. Its more vulnerable to other idiots for sure.

Whatever your choice, I hope all works out for you. Sometimes just taking a break can clear your head about it.

Again, sorry you lost a friend.

#3 ·
The dangers involved in motorcycling is one of the reasons I give a wave or nod to every 2 wheeled vehicle I see .... To me it is an acknowledgement of total respect , for the absolute balls it takes to do what we do .... My condolences for the loss of your friend .

#4 ·
@Tourider when I read your story, I visualized it and my heart broke.... I feel for this man family and friends.... My sincerest condolences...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#7 ·
Damn bro. That is rough. I am so very sorry for your loss. You just never know when your time is up. I will pray for you and the family and friends.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tourider
#9 ·
That's tough. I'm sorry.

I understand your feelings but give it time. I've gone through the same thing but end up realizing I love riding and it keeps me on my toes to be an aggressive defensive rider.

#10 ·
WoW Sorry for your loss. Not an easy situation. I have 3 kids now, but before my kids,I raced in Enduro races, and my other hobby was Scuba Diving. After my kids, I gave everything up, just not to make a stupid mistake and leave my kids with out a father. Just take a brake, think about what you want to do, talk to the wife and decide what you think is best for the family and you. My heart goes out to the family and you. Take care.

#12 ·
Stew; first and foremost you have my deepest condolences for the loss of your friend and I'll keep you and his Family in my thoughts. This will be a most difficult time for them and you.

#14 ·
Very sorry to hear of your loss. I have had some close calls, and since we started very late, I have a 3 year old at home (I am 47). I think about her a lot when those close calls happen. I completely understand how your thoughts can turn when something like this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
My deepest condolences.

#16 ·
My condolences. So sorry for your loss. Live every day as if it could be your last. Do you best and tell those close to you that you love them. You never know.

#17 ·
I'm very sorry to read of your loss, I'm also a dad to three daughters 10, 12 and 14 and these thoughts come to me also from time to time. The risk is out there in everything we do and this risk is an enjoyable one for me and it helps me get away from the busyness around me.
I pray your friends GF and family have piece and comfort during this time.

#22 · (Edited)
What a tragedy. His girlfriend, son and the rest of his family are very likely devastated. I pray they have many solid people around them in this dire time of need. And they'll stay close to them for as long as is right for each of their particular situations.

Stew, your initial post about this tragic incident is so very beautiful. Reading what he means to you made my heart ache all the more for the others who knew him. Please friend, if you can, share your wonderful memories and testimony about him at his funeral and with others who he also very likely touched. Perhaps many in very similar ways.

And yes, stay off the bike for a while. You never really 'get over' these things. But your bike will be ready for you when you are. I didn't know your friend, but many of us know a bit (or a lot) about what you're going through.

That 'time heals all wounds' stuff is simply nonsense. It's not always the case for a number of reasons. People who touch us, who truly touch us and who mentor and lead us to better things whether they know it or not, are a rare breed. Those holes in our hearts don't often mend quickly.

Remembering him in your heart and in your mind in a celebratory way and thanking God for him will do wonders for you.

May God bless you and all who are left hurting by this tragic event.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.