Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my new Judge and love it! I was curious to see what people had to say about loud shifting...

When I change gears it makes quite a CLUNK. I feel like something isn't right. Without hearing it, the guy at the shop said that Victory's just shift like that....

It makes about the same sound as if I took a ball peen hammer and took a moderate swing at the engine. Is this normal??

·
Registered
784 Posts
Without hearing it, ya, probably "normal" Not much you can do Neutral to first, but take the time to learn how the bike wants to be shifted. It will quiet down.
If you want to live moving gears and think the machine should conform to you, well it'll clunk but according to the census, be all right.
Congrats on the ride. Take time to get to know her. Machines and good women need a strong hand and a gentle touch.

Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to hear. I'm OK with whatever noise it wants to make as long as I'm not hurting it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
It is the sound of a lot of metal at work! If it were a 375 lb bike with a 2 cyl 750 cc engine it would be quiet. You got a big engine and lots of HP and torque and you need big teeth gears to get it to the wheels. Welcome to the big bike world! thumb up

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Anal, it will get easier and quieter after break in which can take several hundred miles or more. Preloading the shifter makes for smoother and quieter shifts. If you don't know what preloading is, its pressuring the shift lever PRIOR to pulling in the clutch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anal, it will get easier and quieter after break in which can take several hundred miles or more. Preloading the shifter makes for smoother and quieter shifts. If you don't know what preloading is, its pressuring the shift lever PRIOR to pulling in the clutch.
That's great news. I'll give the old preloading a go too. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure what else you have ridden so it is hard to tell your frame of reference...

My new Vision shifts much louder than my Kawasaki Concours, especially from neutral to 1st. There is a solid, confident "clunk!" where the Concours is more if a "click"

It is much quieter than my previous rides- a Fatboy and Electra Glide!

I would guess it is totally normal but if it bothers you I would see if you could find another similar Victory and a Harley to compare...

/r

Allen

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Mine took about 300 miles and before starting getting smoother .. After the 500 mile service with fresh oil much better, but by no means is it ever going to be silky smooth and quiet when shifting .. Just enjoy the Ride unless you truly have to force it to shift or hear Horrible Noises when trying to shift and not engaging right .. Might even miss a gear now and then in the beginning .. I'm at 8,000 miles now and running fine ..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
synchronize the rpm's and its a little better. after a while you just
get used to it, even thought you still hear it.every machine has
to have its special quirks. this is one of the victory's. had read about
it before i ever rode one.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
I have gotten use to it, I know it is in gear when it clunks. On my HD it was hard to neutral. I was upset with it so I sold it. HD has really went to the dogs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feed back guys.

Just passed 100 miles and I can tell it's already calming down a bit. I'm not sure if it's in my head or not, but the preloading trick seems to work too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So I just got my new Judge and love it! I was curious to see what people had to say about loud shifting...

When I change gears it makes quite a CLUNK. I feel like something isn't right. Without hearing it, the guy at the shop said that Victory's just shift like that....

It makes about the same sound as if I took a ball peen hammer and took a moderate swing at the engine. Is this normal??
Obviously, the problem here is that it needs more cowbell :ltr:

Naw man, its normal. Will quiet down a bit after the 500 miles service. And, try preloading the shifter too - thats putting pressure on the shifter BEFORE you pull in the clutch.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I agree! His transmission has a fever and the prescription is ........ More Cowbell!

·
Registered
931 Posts
The trick is to get the RPMs up before shifting and try not to **** into 1st if your above 10mph.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts