Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 XC, had it maybe 3 weeks, and love it. However, I have noticed that the low fuel light comes on at about 135-140 miles, and at this point, the fuel gauge shows completely empty:confused:

At this point, it takes maybe 4 to 4.2 gallons fuel to fill.

Today i rode it 40 miles after the low fuel light, then filled it totally to the top----- 5.1 gallons.

Sort of unnerving riding with the low fuel light on, and the gauge completely at zero.

I do plan to ask the dealer, but was wondering if this is common?

Thx

greg

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
In An Ideal World... When Should The Low Fuel Light Come On?

This has been brought up in another thread, and I'm sure it will be mentioned again in the future. Personally, I am a little confused of why there are complaints about it. When should the low fuel light come on? When the tank is completely empty? Then everybody would complain how come it didn't give you a warning so you have a chance to look for a gas station and fuel up.

I do like the way it is set up. I know when it hits empty, I have to start looking for gas. Granted it doesn't always take someone 40 more miles to find gas, but if you're picky about the brand of gas you get, combined with being on a longer trip, and all of the sudden 40 miles to bone dry empty isn't all that much.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
I noticed this yesterday Greg. Mine came on at 160 on the trip meter and the gauge went all the way over to empty and stayed. It must be the way they are designed.

After about 10 miles I filled up and put 4.6 gal out of the 5.8 gal it's supposed to hold. So I figure I have 1.4 gal left when the light comes on.

I can live with this if it is consistent. When the light comes on; I have another 50-60 miles before my tank is dry so I know if I have to stop immediately or get into town for a better priced station.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This has been brought up in another thread, and I'm sure it will be mentioned again in the future. Personally, I am a little confused of why there are complaints about it. When should the low fuel light come on? When the tank is completely empty? Then everybody would complain how come it didn't give you a warning so you have a chance to look for a gas station and fuel up.
It's not a huge problem. However, on all my other bikes when the low fuel light comes on, I have a gallon left, not 1.6-1.8. The CX owner's manual also says 1 gallon, I guess its just inaccurate. However, that's not really my concern.

On my CX the range indicator stops as soon as the light comes on?? On my BMW, the computer counts down the miles from 50 or so, to zero, as soon as the light comes on.

On every other bike I have (or have had), the fuel gauge still works when the light comes on. The light alerts me I am low, so I can watch the gauge. On the CX, the gauge goes almost immediately to zero so I have no idea how much is left, unless I remember to reset the trip gauge to zero.

Thanks for all the responses:)

greg

·
Registered
298 Posts
When the tank 'appears' to be full, I can usually squeeze another gal. into it. That's a lot of walking saved! Both my '10 & '11 XC's would take about 4.8 - 5.0 gals. when the light comes on.

RR

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mine will not. When the light comes on it holds (varies due to riding to a station) 3.5-4 gallons

The gauge sucks
But I am use to using my trip meter anyway

Not that big of a deal to me but it would have been good for it to work better since it is there.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
The XR has the fuel displayed digitally, with (I belive) 10 bars. It seems to be rather precise, as it goes up and down one bar if I simply lean the bike and then bring it back up.

Think of the extra gallon or gallon and a half after low fuel light comes on as your reserve tank. :)

Btw, does your miles to empty show 0 mi when the low fuel light comes on?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
When the tank 'appears' to be full, I can usually squeeze another gal. into it. That's a lot of walking saved! Both my '10 & '11 XC's would take about 4.8 - 5.0 gals. when the light comes on.
The manual says not to over-fill. I suppose as long as you ride it right away and not park it, burning some 1 gallon or so, you'd be fine. Just keep in mind that gas needs room to expand if you park it somewhere warm (ie. in the sun).

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Btw, does your miles to empty show 0 mi when the low fuel light comes on?
On mine, the miles to empty only says "low fuel". No range is given at all.

Sounds like the gauges are not consistent, some more accurate than others. Since the manual says it should come on with only a gallon left, I'll call the dealer and see if they are willing to try and fix.

I'll post the results.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Sounds like the gauges are not consistent, some more accurate than others. Since the manual says it should come on with only a gallon left, I'll call the dealer and see if they are willing to try and fix.
Good idea. If the manual, printed black on white by the mighty Polaris, says one thing and the bike does another, it's a good case for warranty work. Of course, the dealer might not be able to do much more than replace parts with other parts that won't do any better job. But if enough claims are made on this, it could be a good enough reason for a recall on the fuel gauge.

Or, maybe it's an easy calibration the dealer will do with two-three twists of a screwdriver. Let us know what you find out. I'll pick the brain of my dealer's mechanic too, and see what he thinks about it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I checked the manual and found this...the light comes on when you have approximately 0.8 gallons left.....

·
Registered
528 Posts
I read a post somewhere, not real sure at the present time. Where a poster made the statement that the X bikes fuel tanks slop downward. They do have stretched tanks. So it takes longer for the gauge to drop from full (holds more toward the top of the tank). The rest of the tank holds the fuel on the sides which would cause the gauge to drop rather quickly. The fuel pump being inside the tank toward the bottom would again cause the gauge to continue to drop rather quick. The we get down to the bottom of the tank (the stretched part of the tank) the gauge is already showing low or almost empty so again there is more left because it is across the tank and not on both sides with a empty spot in the center(my XC says low fuel with not mile left showing, just like crossroads said)
I think their theory is right on. I put in my words so it is lengthy, we talk a lot on the mountain which is a requirement to live here.:ltr:

hope this makes sense to someone.
Next spring I will run my XC dry as I do all my bikes to get an idea how far I can go without walking.
My Ultra is rated at 5 gallons but it held 5.2 gallons
My 1800 c VTX is rated at 4.4 gallons (I think) but held 4.1 gallons.
I will check the Goldwing next spring to but I know I can go 225 miles on it. Had no choice no stations were around.
I always use my 1 of my trip meters for fuel/mileage

dd

·
Registered
154 Posts
It is a bit frustrating. I've noticed an inconsistency in when the light comes on. I wonder if the amount of air in the rear shock makes a difference? I do change the pressure depending on whether it's just me on the bike or someone is riding with me I guess that makes a subtle difference in the angle of the tank.???? Just guessing.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I checked the manual and found this...the light comes on when you have approximately 0.8 gallons left.....
The beauty of the word "approximately" can never be fully appreciated. Just use it in your everyday life, and you'll never be late, never promise and not deliver, almost always be right, etc. :ltr:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
It is a bit frustrating. I've noticed an inconsistency in when the light comes on. I wonder if the amount of air in the rear shock makes a difference? I do change the pressure depending on whether it's just me on the bike or someone is riding with me I guess that makes a subtle difference in the angle of the tank.???? Just guessing.
I think riding on a 1% incline/decline will affect it more than the shock itself. But you're right, it should affect the reading - who knows by how much... :)

Btw, on my XR, I hit half tank around 75mi, and emtpy around 150mi. (I ride exactly 25mi to work and 25mi back home everyday, so I noticed it does display the fuel level very linearly. The slow drop (at first) followed by a quick drop (when nearing empty) seems to be happening on XC only, which uses the analog display. How can this be? I'm sure the internal sensor is the same on both bikes. Can anybody else with an XR confirm my observation?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, not good news. :(

Talked with the service manager, he was definitely aware of the issue, as is Polaris. He is emailing me a notice from Polaris which sort of indicates why the light might come on early.

However, there is no fix. He said he had tried changing the sending unit in the gas tank to no avail.

So, there you have it:crzy:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I had a feeling this was coming. Please post the notice once you get it, so we can all benefit from the wisdom that Polaris is willing to share with you.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sure is, it's called a trip meter

Easiest way for me any way.
I have 3 bikes with fuel gauges. Only 1 of them is decent enough to go buy but it has a 6.6 gallon tank. I still use the trip meter on it.
I know at 220 miles I need gas on it. At 170 miles I know I need gas on my Ultra. At 160 miles I know my XC, for now. At 140 miles I know my 'VTX needs fuel. Problem solved.
Actually it's the best way if you want to be sure you are not going to end up walking.

But we do need something to post about
It's winter

dd

1 - 20 of 35 Posts