Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all...got a question on fuel mpg for my 08 Hammer.

Recently installed 2 in 1 exhaust, vfc 3, n kn filter. Trying to figure out mpg using low fuel lite.

Manual says lite illuminates when fuel is down to .8 gal. Anyone know if this means when lite first comes on, or when lite comes on and stays on.

On my bike lite first comes on at 133 miles on trip meter and then goes off and on, off and on, etc. Lites comes on steady at 138 miles and stays on.

So...is it .8 at 133 or .8 at 138?

Appreciate any info...Merry Christmas Y'all!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Given that motorcycle gas gauges are as precise as your local weather forecast, you should not count on the low fuel light at all. It's nothing more than an approximation.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The only use that indicator has is to alert you that you are getting low on fuel. The only truly accurate way you have of guaging your fuel level is to use your trip odometer. Given my typical mpg, I can figure I have about 30 miles left in my tank when I get the first low fuel indication, regardless of whether or not it stays on. My basic assumption is that I'll get around 150 miles to a tank, but I typically will never come close to that before I fuel up. Bottom line, I get a low fuel indicatrion, I start looking for a gas station. I keep it simple.

·
Registered
247 Posts
When my light came on I never wasted time in finding fuel. I also found out that I usually had a gallon or more left in the tank. Still, don't like to push it unless I know exactly where the next gas station is. On my 07 Kingpin the light came on religiously at 138 to 141 miles on the trip meter. My XCT has both a gauge and light and and in my limited experience with the new bike the gauge is not very linear. Stays at 3/4 to full for a while then seems to drop quickly after that. Never saw the light come on yet because I have been relying on the gauge. Will play more in the spring time.
Moral of the story? I stop sooner then later. I also believe that the light and gauge err way on the side caution and is designed that way.
But, hey, what do I know.:p

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just wish that it didn't keep turning on and off all the time. I find it distracting everytime it turns back on.

I'm not an engineer but it seems to me all they would need was a time delay circuit and take three or more sample points. As long as you had a low fuel indication at every sample point then set the light and prevent it from turning back off until after you refill the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
This is how I figured this stuff out:

Fill it up.
When the yellow light comes on and stays on, pull into a gas station and fill it up.
Look at the gallons on the pump.
Subtract that from 4.5 (the capacity of the tank).

My bike would take 3.6 gallons when the light stayed lit...
4.5 minus 3.6 equals .9 gallons left.

Light stayed on at 160 to 170 miles...
160 miles divided by 3.6 gallons equals 44
170 miles divided by 3.6 gallons equals 47
So... that's 44 to 47 mpg.

.9 gallons of fuel left when the light is on, it may not feed the last .15 gallons...
.75 gallons times 44 mpg equals 33.
So... when that light comes on I need to be within 33 miles of a gas station.

You, too, can calculate these things using your own trip odometer and the gallons meter on gas pumps. All you really need to know is gas tank capacity of the bike (and some basic 6th grade math).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate all the feedback...Lite stays on was what I was thinking for best estimate of mpg.

Will try half_crazy's formula, we seem to be on the same page on this!

Thanks Y'all

·
Registered
357 Posts
Victory could have saved $50 on the price of the bike and left it off completely.If you aint smart enough to check your fuel and keep a tab on it you dont need to be riding.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Victory could have saved $50 on the price of the bike and left it off completely.If you aint smart enough to check your fuel and keep a tab on it you dont need to be riding.
Really. Tell us how you check it I would really like to know.

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
There was a time you could just look in but now there is to much **** in the way.
20 miles once a week you could open the cap and rock the bike to see but I like to do 100s of miles at a time. I bet my riding buddies would get mad if I kept pulling over to check how much gas I have because I'm to smart to have a light tell me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There was a time you could just look in but now there is to much **** in the way.
20 miles once a week you could open the cap and rock the bike to see but I like to do 100s of miles at a time. I bet my riding buddies would get mad if I kept pulling over to check how much gas I have because I'm to smart to have a light tell me.
thumb up I AGREE !!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts