Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 xr and Thursday my idle started running low and had cut the engine off at one point when I was slowing down for a red light on my way to work
Had been running around 850-900 rpm and will drop to 450-500 rpm when stop
Already looked for vacuum leaks and didn't find any
What else can I look for to fix my low idle

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tank was full and slowing down easy it's dark when I go to work and it started all at once with no warning

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts
I had this same issue on a 3rd Gen 4Runner. I fixed it by simply changing the plugs/wires and cleaning the throttle body. A dragging clutch might add to the issue if it does it in gear with the clutch pulled.

Just throwing some ideas/thoughts out there for you to ponder since you already addressed one of the most common causes; a vacuum leak. I wouldn't think a failing fuel pump would cause this but who knows.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe I got it fix I spray some carb cleaner on the right side after I toke the cheese wedge off and been to running right since then

·
13,043 Posts
never rule out battery age and bolts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I believe I got it fix I spray some carb cleaner on the right side after I toke the cheese wedge off and been to running right since then

Sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me. You got 3 vacuum lines right there on the iac.
You didn't say what or exactly where you sprayed. Don't see how that would fix anything. Did the rpms change when you sprayed the carb cleaner?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No the rpm did not change when I sprayed I sprayed all under the gas tank on the right side
No rpm changes while spraying that's why I decided no vaccum leak it's been running like it should but I am getting ready to order new plug wires for it having almost 115000 miles on it

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts
No the rpm did not change when I sprayed I sprayed all under the gas tank on the right side
No rpm changes while spraying that's why I decided no vaccum leak it's been running like it should but I am getting ready to order new plug wires for it having almost 115000 miles on it
It might be a shot in the dark but with that many miles I have to wonder if some of that carb cleaner made it into the throttle body somehow and and cleaned just enough to make it run right for a while.

The earlier pre-closed loop Vic's required a regular throttle body cleaning which meant pulling the tank of course. With that amount of miles; I'd say yours is due for a nice cleaning too. Probably be good for another 100k as long as everything else holds up. It would be good time to really look at all the rubber parts under the tank with a bright flashlight though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad to hear the bike is running better. Still, what caused such a huge drop in rpm? I take it the bike ran fine while driving. Your symptoms seem to occur while throttle is closed and have vacuum. I still have to think vacuum leak. There are 2 lines which run between the cylinders from the iac. They go around each cylinder to the front side and back side . The rubber connectors are know for splitting. These are more accessible from the left side of the bike. With that mileage/ age I would think they would be suspect.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Often a vacuum leak will also give you backfires. Mine was a surge feeling. 40k I changed the plugs and it seems to have straightened out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts