Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been plagued most of my adult life with Sciatica causing severe lower back pain, my left leg and the two toes next to my big toe go numb. The best way to describe it is having a bad tooth ache in your lower back. This time was typical, I bent over to pick something up and BOOM a lightening bolt to the back and down I went. The first few hours are so severe I can't stand upright at all I have to support myself or crawl. Today is the first day this week I'm going back to work, I can stand, carefully, and bear the pain.

The reason for this post is my neighbor loaned me his AcuXP Micro

This thing gave me relief and I doubt I'm the only one here that suffers with this. I'm buying one for myself.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I herniated a disc back in 2016 and your description of sciatica feeling like a toothache in the back is spot on; that's how I described mine.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
TENS unit. They do help. About 10 years ago I tried one and liked the results so much I had one sent to my mom who was having muscular back problems.

I liken it to an electrical massage.

I know your pain Tom. Unfortunately. I hope it doesn't lead to surgery at some point.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I've been plagued with lower back pain for years. I have degenerative disc disease, and have undergone 5 sucessful surgeries, and one that wasn't. The last one included a fusion at L5S1. Almost nothing gives relief when I get hit with the dreaded sciatica. I've lost feeling in the toes of my left foot. On a side note: Several times I've found that riding for a while has helped significantly, go figure...

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I have an old tens unit...still works....love it! Hope you feel better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stretch and vibration of the bike feels great on a bad back. Your back is a mess, I'm thankful to not have those severe problems.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Hey @toejam ...Did anyone ever tell you how much you and @MaddogUSMC look alike on the inside???? .... :ltr:

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Ha ha.....messed up! Definitely not a leg...just glad my third leg is not deformed like my other two! Bwa ha ha ha

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have this tens unit from CVS and use it on my back, my neck and my shoulder. Not only do they provide a 'massage' effect for sore areas but the electric pulse stimulation also releases endorphins in the area to aid in calming the nerve pain. Great thing is the units are very compact and can easily be packed when you travel, even on the scoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I have been suffering from lower back problems for the last 10 years with last year being one of the worst. The best thing for me has been daily exercise and lots of walking. Tried TENS units, physical therapy, surgery, chiropractor, etc but daily exercise has worked the best for me.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
I have been suffering from lower back problems for the last 10 years with last year being one of the worst. The best thing for me has been daily exercise and lots of walking. Tried TENS units, physical therapy, surgery, chiropractor, etc but daily exercise has worked the best for me.
Same here. I have to force myself sometimes because I get so dang stiff but once I get moving I feel much better. I take along a bag and a pick-up stick for trash so I can kill two birds with one stone on the walk. Well, I guess 3 birds, since at least one of the 4 dogs goes with me too.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Same here and when I start to get lazy then my lower back and sciatica issues start creeping back in. I still have pain everyday but not bad enough to take inflammatory or pain pills which i detest. I try to walk 3 miles every morning and then 3 miles every evening with mid-section strengthening exercises on my lunch break at work. Keeping my weight down has also helped a lot.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
….me too, I know exercise is critical for lower back pain and I also have gotten lazy. This bout has been a slap in the face and back to working out I go.
Next month is my yearly physical and I'm telling my doctor about my back problem, something I've not done.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
….me too, I know exercise is critical for lower back pain and I also have gotten lazy. This bout has been a slap in the face and back to working out I go.

Next month is my yearly physical and I'm telling my doctor about my back problem, something I've not done.
I hope he comes up with a good workable solution for you. I have been living with 2 compression fractured vertebrae, in my lower back, since I was 19. It sux! Surgery was not an option nor was it put on the table.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I hope he comes up with a good workable solution for you. I have been living with 2 compression fractured vertebrae, in my lower back, since I was 19. It sux! Surgery was not an option nor was it put on the table.

I came down with 2 compressed fractures of my vertebrae a few years ago. They put a needle in my spine and injected something in the cracks and the pain was gone immediately. I had to lay there for 4 hours still while whatever it was they injected set....and touch wood...never had an issue again...mine were the result of a fall while walking it the grocery store lol

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I came down with 2 compressed fractures of my vertebrae a few years ago. They put a needle in my spine and injected something in the cracks and the pain was gone immediately. I had to lay there for 4 hours still while whatever it was they injected set....and touch wood...never had an issue again...mine were the result of a fall while walking it the grocery store lol

Rob
Wow! I am glad it worked! It is amazing what they can do with advances in medicine and technology!

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts

Rob
I wish they had that for loose teeth. Inject it around the tooth, let it harden (don't eat anything), and voila; sturdy tooth again.

·
Registered
545 Posts
...daily exercise has worked the best for me.
This is a must for both prevention and treatment. While I do have the tens unit, I work out three days a week. The vast majority of people that I personally know that have constant and ongoing movement/balance/pain issues do not exercise. Understandably, workouts need to be designed to improve, or at a minimum stabilize, the existing problem or it could create even more problems. This is where either a certified therapist or trainer is critical.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I wish they had that for loose teeth. Inject it around the tooth, let it harden (don't eat anything), and voila; sturdy tooth again.
LOL they have it's called Dentures ;)

Rob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts