Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once warmed up my bike used to idle at a steady 950 RPM. Since I changed the oil using Victory 20W40 blend, put a new K&N Air filter in and changed the spark plugs to NKG Iridiums it now idles around 850 RPM. I don’t understand how a simple tune up could lower the RPM’s like this.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Once warmed up my bike used to idle at a steady 950 RPM. Since I changed the oil using Victory 20W40 blend, put a new K&N Air filter in and changed the spark plugs to NKG Iridiums it now idles around 850 RPM. I don’t understand how a simple tune up could lower the RPM’s like this.
It could be the engine doesn't have to work as hard with the turn up, so it idles lower....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought that possible.
I’m waiting for my Sumax Thundervolt 10.4mm spark plug wires to be delivered. Especially since when I went to change the spark plugs the connectors broke off the old wires and stayed on the old spark plugs! You can imagine my frustration when that happened since I hadn’t gotten the new wires yet!
Out of desperation to ride I got my needle nose pliers and reattached the broken connectors to the new spark plugs and jammed the old wires back onto them. Can you believe it actually started? I didn’t! That’s when I noticed the idle was much lower than before. Even with the poor spark plug wire connection! So of course I went for a little ride. Surprisingly it ran pretty good. At times better, other times slightly sluggish, but overall better. It’s a good thing rain is in the forecast for the next few days until the new spark plug wires are due to arrive (they aren’t available until June 21st). Otherwise I would be a little leery about the performance.
It’s amazing what one will do to ride...

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
Something else is going on. Possibly something with the idle air controller. Maybe a dirty throttle body. Possibly needs a throttle position reset or it might have a vacuum leak.

What year and model is this Vic?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2014 Victory Hammer. Is 850 RPM too low? I bought it with 3400 miles on it from a local dealer back in April this year. It now has 5060 miles.

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
2014 Victory Hammer. Is 850 RPM too low? I bought it with 3400 miles on it from a local dealer back in April this year. It now has 5060 miles.
Yeah; it's a bit low. Vic's like to idle from 950 to 1k rpm.

Okay; it won't be a dirty throttle body and the idle speed is set by the factory. I looked up the specs and...

Idle Speed / Fast Idle
Speed
Not Adjustable (Set by ECM
and IAC valve) Spec Idle
Speed is 950 rpm ± 100

So at 850 rpm it's within spec. I took this from a 2013 XC manual since I didn't have one for your model and year.

The throttle position reset is no longer needed starting with 2008 model year when they went with a closed loop system. If you do the reset with yours it will force the IAC to relearn where it should be. I don't see that as a bad thing but the expert mechanics don't recommend it.

A vacuum leak seems unlikely but one never knows. A vacuum line could have been pulled partially off while doing other stuff without you or someone else realizing it.

I guess the next move would be to wait till you install the new plug wires and maybe look around behind the cheese wedges to see if any vacuum lines look loose.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pardon my ignorance but... cheese wedges?
And thank you for your knowledge and information! Do you think the poor connections at low RPM at idle (arcing resistance) of my defective wires might be the cause of the drop of idle speed? It seems you’ve eliminated other possibilities.

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but... cheese wedges?
And thank you for your knowledge and information! Do you think the poor connections at low RPM at idle (arcing resistance) of my defective wires might be the cause of the drop of idle speed? It seems you’ve eliminated other possibilities.

I guess we will find out about the wires when you replace them with the new ones.

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
I doubt the exhaust is causing any issues other than possibly leaving a bit of power on the table. Later on if you decide to pursue more power; you may want to look at a different exhaust system.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Why change the plugs, those are new. They don't go bad just with age. Got to look at what changed when you worked on the bike. Did you check the new plugs for proper gap? I was going to say look for cracked vacuum connectors but unless you worked in those areas I would doubt that would be the issue. Does the bike idle steady or does it have a gallop effect?
We got broken wires which obviously is not good.
Did you replace the stock air filter with the K&N? Try putting the old one back in and see if it makes a difference. Is yours easy access or is it under the tank? Before I did anything too involving I would just wait for those new wires.
I bet you got a good deal on that basically new bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why did I change the plugs? I don’t know. Maybe I fell into the whole better plug better performance deal. I did gap the new plugs to .86mm (within spec). The idle is a steady 850 RPM per the on board tach readout, with occasional fluctuation to 900. When I took out the old air filter it looked pretty much like the K&N I bought and wasn’t terribly dirty but since I had already bought a new one I replaced it anyway. I haven’t ventured under the gas tank or disturbed anything behind the “cheese wedges” that I’m aware of. Not sure about the previous owner other than changing the exhaust. For the amount of miles on the bike I think I got a decent deal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, finally got the new spark plug wires delivered yesterday and installed them this morning. I could tell an immediate difference when starting. It cranks 2 times then fires. Idle once warmed up is 900 to 950 rpm. Throttle response is tight. I’m sure I’m getting all the possible performance out of this machine considering the exhaust (Victory Xbows) and no other modifications.
Speaking of the Xbows, are these better performance wise than the oem exhaust? I really like the sound of them! I wouldn’t want them to be any louder. But in the future more power would be desirable (like it’s really necessary). The only restriction is my wallet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m always impressed with the power and acceleration when I twist the throttle on this bike. I think I will survive a lot longer if I don’t make it crazy fast. At least for now...
But I’m sure I will be back here about something in the future. Thanks to all for the responses!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad you got her set. Sounds like the new wires did the trick. Bet your glad it was nothing more. I got the x-bow on my bike too, I like them, nice tone. I was on the highway doing 80 - 85 and they were quite loud, surprised me, or maybe it was when I accelerated to 90+.
That 900-950rpm sounds perfect. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree. There are certain lower rpms that the XBows have a nice low rumble when riding (I like 1400-1600), and I don’t annoy the neighbors when I come home late or leave for work early. But pass someone on the highway and they know you’re there!
A beautiful weekend to ride in Pa finally. The smile is back on my face cruising the back roads!
I’m hoping for good weather next weekend for a 150k poker run nearby!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts