Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although changing out that worthless stock windshield on my XC has helped, I'd still like to diminish a little more of the wind buffet I get behind the fairing without having to actually buy a Vision.

I'm wondering if anybody has actually installed these and can give a ride report. I had a set on my Electra-Glide for almost two decades and loved 'em but I wouldn't dare compare a Glide to a Cross Country.;)

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
Do I dare compare a XR to a XC? After 3 decades of riding first generation Yamaha Ventures, that must have been designed by Moses as they part the waters so well, I was concerned that there would not be that sort of weather protection behind the plexi-fairing of a XR, so I ordered it with the lower deflectors. I have yet to get caught out in a frog drowner, but what rain I have experienced has me believing this combo's protection is darn close to that of the Venture's, if not the same.
The first summer I owned my XR, I removed the deflectors, thinking my legs would get too hot. But I soon discovered that at higher speeds, the wind wanted to lift my feet off the boards, so I put them back. To my surprise, my legs haven't gotten too hot, even when riding in triple digit temps. At stops, that's another story.
Some here carp about the price, but to me, they are worth every penny and yes, they do help to all but eliminate turbulence, on my bike anyway.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Which kind of deflectors? There are several choices such as Arlen Ness, Cee Bailey, Goodys (now sold by Witchdoctors), JTD Cycle Parts, and Victory OEM.

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
Which kind of deflectors? There are several choices such as Arlen Ness, Cee Bailey, Goodys (now sold by Witchdoctors), JTD Cycle Parts, and Victory OEM.
Mine are the OEM ones--if you're talking to me.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Highway bar closeouts, Fork mounted deflectors, or fairing mounted deflectors??

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
ric &ammo. you realize he has a cross country and we have c. roads.
with my massive piece of plastic w/shield and larger than stock
lowers i feel im probably close to a cc in deflection. depending
on the lowers the original poster would find a great deal less
air coming at him. also depends on what crash bars he has.
i demo'd a cct and it was way better than my setup with
all its air deflection.

addition--those black wd deflectors ought to do some good
and not way expensive.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
sorry cant get the link to work. are they the ones goody makes? do they mount to the forks and go from the fairing to about the axle? if so they may be my next investment!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
sorry cant get the link to work. are they the ones goody makes? do they mount to the forks and go from the fairing to about the axle? if so they may be my next investment!

Goody's was the link he provided, and I'm with you thinking a set is in my future.
I have the fairing lowers, and they (along with the Madstad bracket) help a quite a bit for buffeting. I also have the soft lowers (off eBay) that give a VERY calm cockpit. I would like the Goody lowers to replace both the fairing and soft lowers.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So from what it sounds like, those that have 'em love 'em. When I get back home and get my happy little butt back to work I'll have to put them on my wish list.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have the oem lowers and it made a big difference in stopping the head bobbling - those and the Xlarge C Bailys WS make hiway riding not uncomforable at all - still like the back roads when ever possible but I can "gobble" up the miles on the interstate now w/o getting exhausted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just went with the full OEM color matched lowers (think CCT) out of the gate. I knew I wanted full wind protection and didn't want to mess with anything else. I also have the little plastic OEM upper air controls as well. That coupled with my Madstad shield (took a bit to get used to the look) I feel like I have almost nearly the wind management capability of the Tour.

Pic attached doesn't show the Madstad, but you can see the lowers (my bike is the white one).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I just went with the full OEM color matched lowers (think CCT) out of the gate. I knew I wanted full wind protection and didn't want to mess with anything else. I also have the little plastic OEM upper air controls as well. That coupled with my Madstad shield (took a bit to get used to the look) I feel like I have almost nearly the wind management capability of the Tour.

Pic attached doesn't show the Madstad, but you can see the lowers (my bike is the white one).

did you add the upper air controls at a seperate time to notice a difference? ive thought about getting them, not sure if they are worth it though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the ones you showed now being sold by witchdoctor. My were made by Goody and I find they are great, Running with a madstad windshield. Great combination. I would recommend these lowers. Look great and work great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
did you add the upper air controls at a seperate time to notice a difference? ive thought about getting them, not sure if they are worth it though.

I ordered the bike with the upper air controls and lowers right out of the gate. I loved the wind management on the CCT's I rode, but I also wanted the white/black combo (which isn't available on the CCT). So, I have never ridden it without the UAC in place.

That being said, when you open them wide open, you do get a pretty strong blast of air in the mid chest region. It is nice for warmer weather, and I am tall enough that it doesn't hit me in the face. I think they are worth it, but each person is different.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts