Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 High Ball that is lowered. Not sure how much but I think its 1.5 or 2 inches. One day my low fuel light came on even tho I know it was full. The light wont go away. A while later I noticed my tail light doesn't work. I have a brake light but no tail lights. I have no blinkers on the bike. I found a popped fuse and replaced it. It popped as soon as I turned the bike on. So I start lookin around and found that the wire harness under the rear fender has been rubbed through. It is kind of a weird spot, its towards the front of the bike, under the rear fender. My only guess is that the tire bottomed out and rubbed it. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not sure yet if I'm going to fix it or have the dealer. I've never taken a wheel off a bike. But I should learn. And I know if I fix it, it wont happen again because I'm anal about electrical work.

·
13,242 Posts
measure from bottom of motor to ground and that should tell you if its lowered. Factory spec is 4.7 in.

Can you or a body solder. What you world want to do it remove rear fender. Now find bad wires cut out the bad part do one wire at a time. Solder in new peace shrink tube it and do next wire.
Then move wires off to the side so there not right under fender zip tie them there. Put fender back on.
You might find only two bad wires and if there not broken you could tape them up. Still move them off to one side
You'll make the job harder by working over head.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help but I know how to fix wires. I do it more often then I want to on my semi truck! And I do know its lowered because I have 2 sets of dog bones and have swapped them back and forth a few times. I guess I'm just curious if others have had this issue or if I'm just an odd case.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't look like they are broke completely. But all the insulation is rubbed off multiple wires on a 3 inch stretch. I will try to take a pic later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had the same issue with my 08 Vegas. I bought the bike used and it was already lowered. My wire harness was damaged and it even dug a few scrape marks in the tire. The repair is simple. You do not have to remove the wheel. Take off the rear fender and repair the wires by soldering and shrink wrap. Be sure to secure the wires to the side of the sub frame with zip ties. Oh - and by the way I raised my bike back to stock height, and relieved some of the spring tension on the shock. The bike rides and handles so much better. Two up riding is a real problem with a lowered bike as well. I know it looks bad ass lowered, but it's not very functional !

·
Registered
690 Posts
Witchdoctor makes a metal plate that bolts to the inside of the fender, for a kingpin. Not sure if it's available for the Highball/Vegas style fender or not. But if not maybe you could buy the kingpin one, and cut it to fit your fender.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If it were me. I would fix the wires and then put it back to stock ride height. In my opinion lowering a bike is just going to create problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive lowered a few bikes and have friends that have lowered theirs. Most of the time it doesn't create headaches. I believes this is an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As you can hopefully see, I have 3 wires to fix. And then route them so they done rub again. I took the fender off. Super easy, just 4 bolts, then unplug the tail lights. The harness unplugs right behind the fuse block which is held on by 3 6mm bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Witchdoctors makes a liner for the vegas and a few other models. You make be able to get one to fit without too much fab work. Also make sure you get the heatshrink that has the glue in it.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
My bikes a Vegas Low so its a tad lower from the factory so they tell me.
Recently I was taking a very tall English lady for a ride and being so tall she was quite heavy despite her good figure and my bike noticed it.
specially over bumps, and some of the roads around here are shocking (literally).....over heavy bumps I heard something scrape lightly.
a few nights later I noticed my number plate light was out and looking under the rear fender I saw worn through wires just behind the tail light.
got back to the workshop crawled underneath and cleaned up and reconnected the wires a bit shorter than they were which now puts them out of danger from the back tyre....but
shining a torch up under the fender I can see on the sides and also on the extreme side of the rear tyre tread where the tyres been rubbing.
Think I need to wind some preload into my rear shockie...
My mate over at Burleigh Bars has got the correct spanner for adjusting the preload on the back shock so I think Id better pay him a visit.
or stop giving large ladies a ride;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried giving my shock some more preload with a hammer and punch yesterday but was unable to get it to move. Might have to get a wrench so a can get some better torque on it

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
I tried giving my shock some more preload with a hammer and punch yesterday but was unable to get it to move. Might have to get a wrench so a can get some better torque on it

ok ,went and seen my mate and used his shock preload spanners today.
Not surprised a hammer and punch wouldnt shift it!!!
I almost gave up with the right tool!
The adjustment rings are effing tight!!!
Ok this is how I did it, remove plastic sidecover, slide fuse holder out,
undo the three 10mm bolts holding the fuse holder bracket.
Now youve got reasonably good access to the adjustment rings.
Mark one of the lower rings with white marker or paint or something so you know how many turns youre doing and dont lose reference.
Gotta undo the top locknut first...spray some WD40 on the adjustment to lube it all up then undo the locknut a few turns.
I needed a bit of pipe on the spanner to get leverage initially.
Once the locknuts out of the way a few turns I then gave the preload two full turns down, then locked up the lockring.
Felt good on the ride home not harsh, havent tried two up yet.
Rang Victory in Brisbane they suggested two full turns and ride it, then maybe two more if thats ok and see how it is then.
Ill wait to see how it is two-up before fine tuning it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts