Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fella's, I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 05 8 ball, one of the first things I plan on doing when I arrive home is lowering the bike (I'm currently deployed). So basically what I'm looking for are pics of lowered 8 Balls, maybe a couple of before and after pics. I'm just going for a 1.5 to 2 inch drop.(I have used the search engine).

·
Registered
142 Posts
First off,thanks for serving!!cheers Here's a pic of mine lowered,sorry its a cell phone pic,and there aren't any b4 pics,but here ya go.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice...how much of a drop did you go with?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think it's 1.5. Make sure you move,and secure the wiring harness when you lower it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was reading about that, while trying to find a good DIY post somewhere. Is there a DIY on the lowering of the bike?

·
Registered
142 Posts
As far as lowering it,it apears to be pretty straight forward.It's a matter of replacing the dog bones. As far as moving and securing the wiring harness,the back wheel will have to come off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am not sure what kind of riding you do. I own a 05 8 ball and i wish i could raise it sometimes. I scrape pegs and frame all the time. I come from a sport bike back ground so i guess i haven't give up the life yet. If you want to go to bike night and look cool that is fine. Just think about that once you do that you can't got carving the corners. i think that bike looks great in stock height. I handles like a dream. I just can't see how lowering it would do anything but give you headaches.

Semper Fi
02-07

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been riding 11 yrs, nothing but gsxr's. This is just a simple like you said bike nite bike and bar hopper.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Go with an air ride suspension so you can have the best of both worlds. You can lower it when you want, but you can raise it back up to actually be able to ride it through corners properly.

There are a LOT of picture threads (in each subforum), be sure to check them out. Look for Diamondrmp and his bike, he has an air ride and it looks damn good.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, very nice bike. I really don't wanna drop a grand on suspension right now though. I already bought apes and exhaust, there getting installed as we speak. Ill post some pics when I get home, in about 73 days!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found these instructions on victoryonly.com, I'm considering the 3inch drop now.

3 INCH AND 1.0INCH LOWERING LINK FOR VICTORY MOTORCYCLES INSTALL INTRUCTIONS

Installation of any suspension components other than factory OEM may cause riding characteristics
of the motorcycle to change. It is the rider’s responsibility to operate the motorcycle safely

STEP 1) All motorcycle accessories parts and or accessories are strictly for off road use or off highway use only.
All motorcycle accessories and or a trained victory motorcycle mechanic must install parts.
The person installing all parts and or accessories assumes all liability for that part.

STEP 2) Remove the tomahawk lower links from packaging and inspect prior to installation.
Make sure you received 4 thrust washers.
The 4 thrust washers are your install hardware kit.

STEP 3) You must raise the rear end of your motorcycle (use a motorcycle jack or factory specified lifting device and lift in the correct location)
and get the rear suspension to the neutral.
Once you have the rear suspension in the neutral position you can remove the 2 fasteners securing the factory suspension links.

STEP 4) Once you have removed both factory suspension links inspect all suspension components for wear.
Consult factory specifications for acceptable wear and replace all necessary parts.

STEP 5) Now install your new tomahawk lowering links. The larger wider end of the lowering links must go towards the rear tire.
The smaller less wide end is towards the front or the motor side. It may be necessary to adjust the height of the motorcycle using the
lifting device to help align the bores of the lowering links. Once you have installed the lowering links onto the suspension bearing you will need to install the
4 thrust washers.
You must put 1 thrust washer in each of the lowering links bores, and then install the factory fasteners you removed earlier.
It is recommended that you use thread locker and the correct torque specifications for all fasteners when installing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lowered the bike yesterday
before:

after:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Rebel! Looks great. thumb up

·
13,003 Posts
Hope you pulled your fender and rewroted your wires before the tire eats them.
Bike looks good thanks for your service

·
Registered
142 Posts
That looks awesome,nice job!!thumb up

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope you pulled your fender and rewroted your wires before the tire eats them.
Bike looks good thanks for your service
Thanks guys! Yeah I pulled it to the side and zip tied it to the frame, how ever I didn't grind down the piece on belt housing, no belt chirp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
just currious, did you have to remove the rear tire completely to address the wiring issue? I have some 2" drop links to install sometime soon.

thanks in advance.
j.

2007 Vegas 8-ball

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nope just seat and rear fender, it was cake!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 35 Posts