Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kind of want to lower my bike. If you adjust the rear shock does that lower it at all? Also what are my other options with out spending too much money for those of you who have done it?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
The least expensive option is the lowering links. If you lower your bike you need to move the rear wire harness running down the middle of the fender to the left side of the fender rail and zip tie it there. You don't want to rip it out. You should also readjust the preload on the shock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you adjust the preload on the shock? Is it the same as a coil over on a car? Is there a write up on here? I also weigh 165 and don't plan on having passengers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I lowered it an inch is there somewhere where I can find out what to set my rear shock at or is it a trial and error thing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if I go with the ness lowering links, install them, relocate the wire harness and turn the shock 4 turns. Is that counter clockwise or clockwise? Is there anything else I need to do?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I don't remember which direction but you will be able to tell when you do it.

I am moving this thread to technical forums

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
So if I go with the ness lowering links, install them, relocate the wire harness and turn the shock 4 turns. Is that counter clockwise or clockwise? Is there anything else I need to do?
If I remember correctly, once you loosen the top lock nut, if you turn the lower nut clockwise (going down) it will stiff up your ride and counterclockwise (going up) will do the opposite. Don't forget to tighten the top lock nut onto the lower nut after your adjustment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I went to the Victory dealer yesterday and they said you don't have to relocate the harness if I am only lowering it 1 to 1 1/4 inches. Does that sound right or should I move it?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Go back to your dealer and ask them to put in writing that WHEN not if but WHEN your wiring harness rips out because your bike bottomed out that they will cover parts and labor for a NEW not repaired but NEW harness.

MOVE THE WIRES!!!! Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about.

I cannot stress it enough...MOVE THE WIRES!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be moving them to the side. So its just the tail light harness that needs to be moved? Does that require the removal of the rear tire?

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I'll be moving them to the side. So its just the tail light harness that needs to be moved? Does that require the removal of the rear tire?
You can do it that way.
It's been easier for me when I move them for fellow victory owners to just remove the seat & unbolt the rear fender. Once moved and all secure, just install the fender and seat back. Just my .02

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was easy to take the seat off and looks pretty simple to remove the fender. I'll be moving the wires before I lower it for sure. Any helpful hints when lowering and moving the wires? Thanks again for all the input.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Its all pretty straight forward and easy. Just be careful with your fender because the taillight is attached. Use zip ties and you are in good shape.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Safety Issue...

Just my 2 cents... I had a set of lowing links on my 06 Vegas and they worked great until the first time I leaned the bike into a turn. Grounded the frame so hard it jacked the rear tire off of the ground. Guess what happens next? I was extremely lucky and kept it on the road (fortunately, nothing was coming the other way or I would not be here). Be very, very careful with the lowing links!

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Just my 2 cents... I had a set of lowing links on my 06 Vegas and they worked great until the first time I leaned the bike into a turn. Grounded the frame so hard it jacked the rear tire off of the ground. Guess what happens next? I was extremely lucky and kept it on the road (fortunately, nothing was coming the other way or I would not be here). Be very, very careful with the lowing links!
How much did you lower it and how much do you weigh?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Lowering links...Not a bad idea, but remember it will decrease your available lean angle

Moving the harness is a MUST.

Just turning the preload nuts 4 rotations is NOT what you want to do. First off the preload should not be used to adjust height. That just turns your suspension in to a soggy mess, and bottoming out becomes a real issue. Secondly there is a specification for setting sag on the rear of the bike based on the riders weight. It is there to make the bike work it's very best in most conditions

1 - 18 of 18 Posts