Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I attempted to lower my XC 1" with the witchdoctor lowering link. As I was trying to loosen the nuts for the shock and the lowering link; the nut on the lowering link began to strip, and I have the feeling that it's going to continue.

Any ideas on how to remove the nut without it stripping further, or other ideas how to loosen things up?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang, really hoping for ideas from guys that have done the job and came across the similar issue; otherwise I know it's the same as any other tight nut, but this thing is ridiculously tight. Extremely torqued from the factory.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Maybe over torqued and/or maybe some high strength thread lock on it? Can you try applying some heat to the nut? Also, use a 6 point socket or box end wrench as it is almost impossible to "strip" a nut with 6 points so you can apply more pressure to break it free! Don't attempt it using a 12 point socket or an open end wrench.

Cheers

·
Registered
632 Posts
Like posted above.. More than likely Tread-Lock.. With a small propane torch heat the head of the bolt.. Some tread-lock needs heat to loosen.. Good luck..
Been there broke that..:(

·
Registered
837 Posts
Getting those nuts off was the hardest part of the job in my case. Breaker bar (AKA pull handle) with a piece of pipe to extend the handle if I remember correctly. The left side was much easier than the right side.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I finally got a chance to get back at the nut (been working and riding it too much); I took a torch and heated it, the thread lock bubbled out; however, the damn thing still wouldn't budge and continued to slip. My final option might be to cut the whole dang nut off.

But I think I'll just let it be for now until the riding season is over (roads full of snow). I was just looking for a little more stability on uneven roads/stops and while trying to back up on slight down hill parking.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
are you using the right sized wrench ? its a 15mm, i use 2 wrenches to break them loose.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are you using the right sized wrench ? its a 15mm, i use 2 wrenches to break them loose.

Yeah I was using a 15mm wrench, trying just the way witchdoctors video showed.

It's not the first time I've lowered a bike, so I know those bolts are tight as sh*t; but one of these are definitely fighting against me lol.

·
Registered
504 Posts
That nut is a very "tough nut to crack" - I think whoever came up with this term definitely worked on a Victory undercarriage! ;)

The nut is a 15mm I believe and it is lock-tited and it is a lock type nut. Way over engineered, but I guess they dont loose any shock bolts!

Try heating it and cooling it a few times to get all the lock tite out and then try an impact driver with a 6-point socket as mentioned. Thats what mine took. Then replace the bolts and the nuts with GRADE 8 Bolts and NYLOCK nuts and you'll be all the better for it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
no reason why a strong 1/2" impact gun shouldn't bust it lose. Take it to a local tire shop, ask one of the guys to hit it with the impact. After it's loose, tighten it back with a ratchet, go home and finish your lowering kit.

·
Registered
355 Posts
are you talking about the top or bottom bolt? I had to take the bottom loose before I could get a good bite on the nut on the top. I think I had the pin out too cause I had it turned out as much as it would go

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have to ask: confused:

what is the point of lowering a bike 1"? Does it really make that big of a difference. It just seems that every time I read about lowering a Cross bike it turns into problems with mostly the belt. Now bolts that strip because Home base used a Gorilla to secure them.

Sorry, I don't mean to be negative but at 5'9" short I don't have an issue at all with the ride height of my XC even when pumped up to handle passenger and luggage. The Home base went to a lot of trouble to make these bikes correct. I leave well enough alone when it comes to suspension. Motors and sound systems well..... not so much.

good luck getting the bolt out. Watch your belt tension.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Spray some PB blast on it, and use a six point wrench. It is a pain the ass though, good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Removing one of those bolts is a good way to be able to remove the tire without removing the muffler. However, it was so tight I ended up removing the muffler anyway. One of the folks here said they use an impact wrench without a problem, so I will try that next time.

·
13,242 Posts

what is the point of lowering a bike 1"? Does it really make that big of a difference. It just seems that every time I read about lowering a Cross bike it turns into problems with mostly the belt. Now bolts that strip because Home base used a Gorilla to secure them.

Sorry, I don't mean to be negative but at 5'9" short I don't have an issue at all with the ride height of my XC even when pumped up to handle passenger and luggage. The Home base went to a lot of trouble to make these bikes correct. I leave well enough alone when it comes to suspension. Motors and sound systems well..... not so much.

For the most part guys don't have a problem with nuts or bolts. We assume he was turning it counter clock wise but who knows. Yes you have to readjust your belt buts that not hard.
Put a 2x4 on each foot when sitting on the bike and you'll understand what difference it makes.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

having your feet planted flat footed vs tippy toes at stops or intersections is the difference, if your on your toes on flat ground, what about an uneven spot, whoops down you go. im 6'3 and have mine lowered 2".

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
For 2 " I would go thru the trouble. Lowered my Voyager 2.5 " cause it really needed it. With the trunk on that bike It was top heavy. Hopefully OP got her done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts