Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year I had the bolt on the 1" lowering link fail at ~60 mph. Lately I heard of a similar failure. The bolt is 3/8 and hardened and attached with a lock nut. I am convinced I over tightened the nut because the bolt appeared to have been mostly broken for some time (most of the material in the break seemed to be dirty as if exposed to the elements) has anyone else experienced a failure like this and if so what preventative measures are you taking? I'm not an engineer or anything but there sure seems to be allot of weight resting on a 3/8" bolt to me..?? I plan on looking at and replacing the bolt again this winter ... I'll have to look at the mechanism again but I'm pretty sure a larger bolt won't fit.. Suggestions? Bolt #5 is the bolt in question.. It is hardened..!
ImageUploadedByMO Free1376157849.927424.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have sold nuts and bolts my whole life, a grade 8 3/8 bolt is very strong. I would almost think there was a manufacturing problem with your particular bolt. Unless you tightened it down with a 3' breaker bar , and hung from it there is most likely no way you over tightened it, to the point of twisting it or such. I would purchase another bolt, torque to spec, and not give it another thought, and replace the nut too.thumb up

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"replacement link is too small. Not enough surface area to distribute the load across more of the bolt. The factory link uses a larger joint with two bushings that insert into the joint from each side, creating a load bearing surface of about 1.20", as compared to the 1/2" area of the smaller joint."

The above is suggested from another guy with a lowering link.. Friends with the other guy with a failure.. Would this be a problem? I've never heard of a failure with the lowering link bolt nor have I heard of a stock one failing and now there is mine and one other so it is a concern.. I have a hardened bolt in there now but the one that broke was new and also hardened.. There isn't enough room in there for the 3' breaker bar and not sure there is room for a torque wrench ill change it again this winter and use a hardened bolt... Where is the best place to get the grade 8 as I'm not sure what hardness tractor supply sells.. Thanks

·
13,031 Posts
hardware store or auto parts store new nut for sure.
wouldn't need much of a torque on as its a pivot point

·
Registered
51 Posts
"replacement link is too small. Not enough surface area to distribute the load across more of the bolt. The factory link uses a larger joint with two bushings that insert into the joint from each side, creating a load bearing surface of about 1.20", as compared to the 1/2" area of the smaller joint."

The above is suggested from another guy with a lowering link.. Friends with the other guy with a failure.. Would this be a problem? I've never heard of a failure with the lowering link bolt nor have I heard of a stock one failing and now there is mine and one other so it is a concern.. I have a hardened bolt in there now but the one that broke was new and also hardened.. There isn't enough room in there for the 3' breaker bar and not sure there is room for a torque wrench ill change it again this winter and use a hardened bolt... Where is the best place to get the grade 8 as I'm not sure what hardness tractor supply sells.. Thanks

Sorry if I missed this but did you say where you got the link and who made it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts