Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since everyone is lowering their bikes, I decided to use the 1" links I've had for over a year. I didn't put them on because I have scraped my swept pipes before and there is a warning on VictoryOnly.com that says: Lowering your bike only 1 inch to 1.5 inch will not cause any clearance issues (unless on Vegas Low) and still gives you that custom low look . Note: The 2 or 3 inch kits may cause the belt to rub. And now all Vegas's are Low.

So I put on the links and I love the look. I took a ride and scraped the he** out of them banking right on an off ramp. The guys I was riding with heard the noise.

Since I like the look and feel with the links in, I'm just gonna tighten the shock and cut away some of the pipe that's scraping. That's a nice thing about a black bike with black pipes. I can cut the pipes, grind them, and spray them black and they'll look fine.:D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just think the more you cut off your pipes the less dust they will kick up.;) Post a picture of your new look.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Links are cheap

Dropping your machine is a simple and cheap mod. A spanner wrench is all you really need for tools and you may not even need that.

The beauty about lowering, in the case of my JP anyhow, is if I didn't like it all I gotta do is put the stock links back on.

Done.

FYI I did the 1.25 WitchDoctor drop on a '10 so there was no grinding and all that. Not necessarily an easy move with an older machine and/or a bigger drop.

Peace

·
Registered
94 Posts
i know this has been talked about....alot but i lowered my 07 vegas an 1 1/2. some people say the belt might rub? where? i looked and didnt see ne thing even close

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well...I lowered the bike last night....quick and easy...just like me....Took the bike for work today....150miles rounds trip....by the time I got home, I had rub from the bolt on the gear cover on the top of the drive belt......AND no, rear electronics, or front electronics, horn....high beams....the only thing that worked was the ignition switch and the bike ran....SO, my cheap mod isn't gonna be so cheap.....however...the bike looks 10x better dropped to the rim...I don't know what path I'm gonna take!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well...I lowered the bike last night....quick and easy...just like me....Took the bike for work today....150miles rounds trip....by the time I got home, I had rub from the bolt on the gear cover on the top of the drive belt......AND no, rear electronics, or front electronics, horn....high beams....the only thing that worked was the ignition switch and the bike ran....SO, my cheap mod isn't gonna be so cheap.....however...the bike looks 10x better dropped to the rim...I don't know what path I'm gonna take!
That sucks!, I'm guessing you didn't move the rear wiring over to the side of the frame? There need to be a step by step thread with pictures. BTW I'm 225 with no problems

·
Registered
526 Posts
You can grind down the part that rubs the belt or buy an aftermarket cover made for that issue.
And you probably fried the rear wiring harness under the rear fender by bottoming out. You can buy a new harness and zip tie it to the side or buy a metal guard to protect it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There were no instructions..but with 2 pieces of metal there shouldn't be...lol...I did you tube an install on there and no mention was made or implied of other issues...I like the look enough to keep it and modify as needed...it's just another thing I don't really need to deal with right now...I'll figure it out,I just hope it's sooner than later...I'm considering taking it to the dealer for the wiring but am afraid they will soak me for it....Ughhh.....

·
Registered
526 Posts
There were no instructions..but with 2 pieces of metal there shouldn't be...lol...I did you tube an install on there and no mention was made or implied of other issues...I like the look enough to keep it and modify as needed...it's just another thing I don't really need to deal with right now...I'll figure it out,I just hope it's sooner than later...I'm considering taking it to the dealer for the wiring but am afraid they will soak me for it....Ughhh.....
Try to take a look under the rear fender to see if the rear wires are chewed up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Chewed up would be an understatement....I had to use painters tape and tape the hanging wires up over the fender to get home...lol...it was a great day...about 130 miles with no electronics except the speedo....not even a headlight...hit rain and everything...thankfully passed no patrol cars either...I'd still be there explaining wht this happened! lol...

·
Registered
102 Posts
So after all this discussion on a 2011 Vegas 8-ball, I am 190lbs if i do a 1" lowering link do i have to move wires and change out belt card or grind it down?
just trying to clarify.

wac

·
Registered
188 Posts
So after all this discussion on a 2011 Vegas 8-ball, I am 190lbs if i do a 1" lowering link do i have to move wires and change out belt card or grind it down?
just trying to clarify.

wac
I understand that 08 and up you don't have to grind the cover. Shine a flashlight in the front cover and look to see how much room you have between the belt and the cover where the top bolt is. You don't need much clearance. You will need to move the rear wiring over to the side of the frame. Make sure its over to the lowest part of the frame. I just used zip ties but someday I would like to make a metal tube that bolts to the frame to hold the wires in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
just trying to clarify.

wac
Keep in mind that a 2011 Vegas 8 Ball IS already lower as compared to an older model. That's why some guys can lower it 2 inches and be OK.

I weigh 180 and have the same year and bike you have and I put on 1" lowering links. Before I did that, I took off the rear fender and put a sheet metal strip over the wireing to protect it. This is the strip:
http://buywitchdoctors.com/p/1291/victory-motorcycle-parts-other-stuff-general-accessories-jackpot-vegas-buywitchdoctors-rear-fender-liner-sc-389/
After buying the strip I realized I could have just cut one out of sheet tin. It does protect the wireing because I heard the tire rub when I hit a hole and everything is fine.

OK. After lowering. My swept pipes sometimes scrap when I bank right. My belt sometimes rubs when I hit a hole. You have to remember that when you sit on the bike it's gonna go down another inch...........at least mine does so now I'm tightening the shock a half turn at a time until I get to where the belt doesn't rub when I hit a hole.

I hope the information helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2005 vegas, I don't have a rear fender on it now but, when I did I lowered it 3 inches and had no rubbing problems. What I did was tighten up the shock spring, also took 1/4" rubber hose something with a small outside dia. took silicone gasket sealer and ran a bead down the very middle of the fender, layed the hose in the sealer, let it dry and cut the wire, pushed it thru the hose and resolder the wires together. No rubbing. Or what u could do, instead of cutting the wire, slice the hose open and lay your wire in the hose, then with the slice on the silicone side press it in the top ridge of the fender in the silicone bead. Sounds kind of backyard but in sure did work!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a 2005 vegas, I don't have a rear fender on it now but, when I did I lowered it 3 inches and had no rubbing problems. What I did was tighten up the shock spring, also took 1/4" rubber hose something with a small outside dia. took silicone gasket sealer and ran a bead down the very middle of the fender, layed the hose in the sealer, let it dry and cut the wire, pushed it thru the hose and resolder the wires together. No rubbing. Or what u could do, instead of cutting the wire, slice the hose open and lay your wire in the hose, then with the slice on the silicone side press it in the top ridge of the fender in the silicone bead. Sounds kind of backyard but in sure did work!
Slick idea!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts