Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here lowered your Cross Bike? There is a dealer in Louisville, KY that lowers the bikes 3". He has a lowered Crossroads in his showroom beside a stock height crossroads and it looks great. One would think the handling would be better since the center of gravity would be even lower but I'm wondering if anyone has done this and how the handling was affected? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
There is a dealer in Louisville, KY that lowers the bikes 3". He has a lowered Crossroads in his showroom beside a stock height crossroads and it looks great.
You didn't take a picture?

One would think the handling would be better since the center of gravity would be even lower but I'm wondering if anyone has done this and how the handling was affected? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!!
Lower center of gravity is the plus, while less available leaning angle is the minus.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The loss of lean angle would be a big concern. 3" drop is huge! leaving you only 2.8" clearance. With the rear suspense pumped up, travel on bumps should be ok... But, most lifts couldn't even get that low... would certainly need a skid plate to say the least

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm used to riding a sport bike (see signature) and the change in riding position, weight, and center of gravity on my XC is quite the change. Though with being 6'2" I don't really need the bike lowered. I bet it would look pretty good though on the XC/XR.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wonder if the type of linkage they use to lower the bike is "adjustable". In other words, being able to lower the bike 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5" or 3"?

Then what would that look like with taller front wheel? What would going to a 21" or 23" wheel do to the handling and feel of the bike?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You didn't take a picture?

Lower center of gravity is the plus, while less available leaning angle is the minus.
Sorry...I didnt have my camera or phone with me. It did look really good though. Low to the ground and very SLEEK looking

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if the type of linkage they use to lower the bike is "adjustable". In other words, being able to lower the bike 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5" or 3"?

Then what would that look like with taller front wheel? What would going to a 21" or 23" wheel do to the handling and feel of the bike?
He did say it was adjustable up to 4" but most leave it at 3" lower. I asked about the suspension travel and he said it did not change the suspension travel at all. I'm no mechanic so I dont know how that works just telling you what he said. He also said at 3" lower if you ride two up you would need around 10lbs of air in the shock.

·
Registered
221 Posts
He did say it was adjustable up to 4" but most leave it at 3" lower. I asked about the suspension travel and he said it did not change the suspension travel at all. I'm no mechanic so I dont know how that works just telling you what he said. He also said at 3" lower if you ride two up you would need around 10lbs of air in the shock.
Hell my big ass needs an extra 10lbs of air regardless! :eek:
What was the name of the dealer? I'd be interested in lowering about 2". When I have the suspension pumped up for 2-up, I'm not 100% flat footed...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I lowered mine a while ago. At three inches it was almost rigid. Looked great but too low, going around the corner going out of my neighborhood I could touch the ground with my foot on the floorboards. Swingarm bottomed out on the left side plastic bracket under left side panel, breaking one of the bolt holes out of the bracket, that was with 30 lbs. Air in shock and solo. Two inches you can get away with alot more, but with two up, 30 lbs I still drag on fairly tight curves. Check my garage for pics.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hell my big ass needs an extra 10lbs of air regardless! :eek:
What was the name of the dealer? I'd be interested in lowering about 2". When I have the suspension pumped up for 2-up, I'm not 100% flat footed...
The dealer is Victory of Louisville. www.victoryoflouisville.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I lowered mine a while ago. At three inches it was almost rigid. Looked great but too low, going around the corner going out of my neighborhood I could touch the ground with my foot on the floorboards. Swingarm bottomed out on the left side plastic bracket under left side panel, breaking one of the bolt holes out of the bracket, that was with 30 lbs. Air in shock and solo. Two inches you can get away with alot more, but with two up, 30 lbs I still drag on fairly tight curves. Check my garage for pics.
Thanks bfp...i appreciate the input.

·
Registered
472 Posts
At two inches, you would be fine. The only thing is your long tips may drag especially on the dragon. Put 40 in and you would be ok

·
13,026 Posts
First off the bike handles great.
You can't lean as far as you would like in corners but you still lean. The bottom of my floor boards are all scraped up but I only see them when changing oil.

You have to be careful of speed bumps or going in drive ways with big lips. Other wards you have to think about the fact your lower.

You have to put more air in the shock some pot hols will make you bottom out.

You will need a skid plat for your motor if you are one that doesn't pay attentions to road condition or ride on dirt roads.

Taking a half inch out of the link rod equalizes one inch lower.
I would only do 2 inches max on any bike.

You will need a kickstand cause the lowered bike will sit to straight up an down with out it you could park wrong and it will tip over on you.
I have a vision that I lowered 2 inches and can only say I would do it again.

Call these guys and they can sell you the parts and if you know how to use wrenches you can lower it your self.

http://www.hmd520.com/category/HMD-PARTS-1

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks johhny. i never even thought about the kickstand. i appreciate it

·
13,026 Posts
NEVER heat your kick stand!
It will take the temper out of it and some day just give way on you.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would think you would loose a lot of goround clearance, In fact, I think you have to. If you don't care about cornering speeds, it might look cool. If you like to ride at all aggressively I think you will be rather disappointed. Particularly when you star dragging parts:confused: The cornering clearance is one of the things i really like about the XC, but you could easily feel differentlycheers

·
Registered
221 Posts
Taking a half inch out of the link rod equalizes one inch lower.
I would only do 2 inches max on any bike.
Does the typically link rod have 1/4 increments, so you can lower the bike in 1/2 inch increments? Or are you stuck with whole inch increments? 1 inch doesn't sound like enough and 2 inches sounds like a lot with my fat ass... Was thinking 1.5" would be about right...

·
Registered
472 Posts
No Henry, the only pieces I know of are from noemtz, and hmd. They are in 1" increments. 1" with a little air in the shock or none might just be the ticket for you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts