Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a pair of $25 tinted lowers from mephis shades and was wondering if anyone has attempted this install? the clamps in the $50 universal mounting kit are way too small! Does anyone know the right part number to get the largest clamps available? OR what is the measurement of the female fork tube at its largest and smallest points? (or tell me how to measure for clamps) Customer service only seems to be able to quote alot of part numbers but no measurements. I really do want to use these lowers and hate to mount them with hardware store electrical clamps if I can avoid it.

Thanx...Mike
2011 Cross Country

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Cross Country forks are 58mm.
I think the memphis Shades # is MEM9890.
Yep. This is correct. I just installed mine tonight. Very straight forward install. The clamp uses the very last "hook" and must be slid together (top to bottom or visa versa). I then kept in in the area on the upper forks where it was thinner while I got the clamp bolt started. Then is was just a matter of putting the arm on that holds the plastic acrylic. The rest just went together like it's supposed to.

You just want to turn the forks both ways to the stops to make sure the lowers aren't hitting the crash bars before you finish tightening the clamps into position.

If you asked this tomorrow I might not remember all the details but I literally just did this job an hour or so ago.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Longer Bolt

Cross Country forks are 58mm.
I think the memphis Shades # is MEM9890.
The part # is correct. I didn't like the way the clamp bolt was only in the aluminum back-part, so I used a longer allen bolt + a nyloc nut on the backside. Then I could tighten the bolt really well and had more than aluminum threads holding it together.

The hole size for the MS brackets is 9/16". If it is this size, the rubber grommet fits in easily.

eta moya dva rubles

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
:worthless without:
Would someone please post pics of the Memphis Shades Lowers on a Cross bike? Pretty please! :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the info. I'll have to get the replacements sent. then I'll post pics!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lowers from memphis shades PICS

Lowers installed with the right hardware. PICS as promised. I tried mounting higher on the fork, but ran into clearance issues with the crash bar/wing. Will test ride on Sunday. Is supposed to be in the mid 70s!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
lowers from memphis shades PICS

Nice Job!!! I have also been researching. Thanks for the info - all.
Brackets - p/n mem9890.
Forks - 58MM

I've installed the following:
1. I Pod adapter and extension to rt rear bag
2. Air Horn (under Lt side engine guard)
3. Gustafsson Whindshield (4" flip- dark)
4. Heel Shifter
5. Stage 1 exhast
6. Black side covers
7. Victory mirrors
8. Blue running lights
9. Electric vest adapter (replaced the battery bolts with studs)
10 - Removed the Victory Insigna on the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
I used the MS brackets and a guy on another forum is making clear and dark acrylic lowers from a template made by someone else. I think they fit the XC a little better but I haven't had a chance to see how they feel at speed in the wind yet. They do cover a larger area so I'm hoping more of the lower dirty air will be tempered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have my Attention

OK - you have my attention - They look real good. Do you have a number to call the guy or an e-mail address. I just ordered the brackets but held off from the shades. I was going to make up a form but. the ones you have look great..

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
sgtfixit: The blue looks awesome on your blue bike. You win the Best Color Lowers award. thumb up
BBob: You win the Best Shape Lowers award. thumb up

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx! I thought so too! Am toying with the idea of trimming them to get them a little higher on the forks...another rainy day project. I'll update if I ever get around to it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I made my own lowers from the template using Lexan and I used the Memphis Shades brackets. it looks/works great!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lowers installed with the right hardware. PICS as promised. I tried mounting higher on the fork, but ran into clearance issues with the crash bar/wing. Will test ride on Sunday. Is supposed to be in the mid 70s!
How are the lowers working for you, do you find it's taking the buffeting away?

·
Registered
566 Posts
The fork-mounted lowers with the Polaris soft bar covers completely eliminated the buffeting. However, the soft covers kept the engine heat trapped and during hot days, it was unbearable. As a result, I've now replaced them with the OEM Cross Country Tour wind management system (hard lowers and fairing wings) and that gives me the best of both worlds (air when I need it, protection when I don't). I've now sold my fork-mounted lowers and the soft bar covers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fork lowers

I did notice a difference. the buffetting is less, but not gone. the wind no longer pulls at my knees as much. I'm thinking of adding the newer solid lowers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did notice a difference. the buffetting is less, but not gone. the wind no longer pulls at my knees as much. I'm thinking of adding the newer solid lowers.
Well, if you decide to go for the solid lowers, keep me in mind for your old Memphis Shades. I'll buy them.

Stay with the soft lowers for now, it's getting cool up here in the Great White North. Engine heat will keep my legs warm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts