Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I live in a moderate climate so the black soft lowers available through Victory and other manufactures would be a waste of money here. I just wanted something to tone down the wind that I could leave on year round. A fellow XC rider on another forum came up with the idea of using the generic cruiser style Baker Air Wings so I found a set on ebay for $111 shipped. The only caveat was they are orange. I think, well, I can paint them. After fabbing them up which was a breeze because they are practically made for the XC/XR's. I only needed to add one bolt per side. The rest of the hardware was with the kit. I didn't use the round crash bar clamps though because I'm running the square type.

After some trial and error I found I only needed the lower (longer) section as the fork wind deflectors were doing the job of the upper section already so I took them off with no change.

The improvement is significant and it reduced the wind coming up from below to very tolerable. I don't know if I will order the clear replacements, keep them orange, or paint them. They do add a bit more visibility to the bike for oncoming traffic the way they are now.

I don't know if this system will work for people running lights or pegs off the mounts on the crash bars. They might with some longer bolts and spacers. At any rate; it's one more option for us X bike riders. They also have the added benefit of directing more air flow to the motor if needed or directing no air flow at all just by turning them to the desired angle.

Here are some pics with both sections on.

And with only the bottom section.

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here's the link for the Cruiser Baker Air Wings.

The difference between the new generation and old generation is the old gen is acrylic and comes in more colors and the new gen is polycarbonate (much stronger).

It might be possible to contact Baker and tell them exactly what you want so it wouldn't be as expensive. For instance; the clear lower section I referred to above are $20 a piece for the poly. If you don't want the uppers and the round crash bar clamp; that could lower your cost as well. From what I hear; Baker is a good outfit to do business with.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Bbob, thx for the post.

As I posted a couple weeks ago, when I added the Victory close outs, they seemed to make a significant improvement in buffeting. I took them off last friday since we are having a heat wave in SoCal (it was 85 yesterday!), and put the fork mounted lowers back on. I really noticed the increase in buffeting:(

I was thinking of doing something like what you have done. I am dropping my XC off at Cee Baileys this friday for three weeks (I will be in Florida) for them to fab up the reverse curve windshields and bag liners. Joe had also indicated an interest in some kind of lowers mounted to the tipover bars. Maybe something out of fiberglass or?

I will show him what you have done.

The orange DOES standout:D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Bbob, looking at your pictures, it appears these are mounted with a single bracket on the bottom ?

Have you had a chance to get the bike up to freeway speeds, say 75-80+? Just curious if they flex or bend. I suspect they are fine, I have Baker Wings on my Gold Wing, great quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts