Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use Lucas Oil Synthetic Oil Stabilizer in thier Victory 106 CI engine and 6 speed transmission. I talk with a guy who said the he has used it in his victory vision with no problems and it really cut down the transmission noise. Wondering if anyone else has or is using it. It says it is safe for wet clutches at a 10% mixture.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I used it in my VTX 1300R, and it really knocked the noise level down, I was thinking of using it in my Vision.

·
13,235 Posts
Snake Oil if you ask me. Your going to add oil to oil and its going to make something quiet. :ltr:

·
13,235 Posts
An oil stabilizer is a product formulated to compensate for wear in old engines and gear boxes and stop the wear process in new ones. Typically, it is a blend of petroleum extracted additives that allow motor oils and gear oils to maintain a higher degree of lubricity. It eliminates high temperature viscosity breakdown even under the most extreme conditions. It also allows the oil to last 50% longer.

Oil treated with a stabilizer does not run off cylinders after shut down. This eliminates dry starts which is a primary cause of wear in an otherwise well maintained engine.

Plain motor oil is formulated with the tolerance of new engines in mind. Once an engine becomes worn, the wearing process advances at a rapid rate because motor oil alone cannot fill the space between moving parts. Most stabilizers are formulated for both new and old engines. While a small amount (15%-20%) can maintain a new engine, larger amounts (up to 60%) can be added to a worn engine to properly seal and cushion the moving parts to slow oil consumption and prevent further wear. It also stops most seal leaks. Blends with all automotive lubricants, even synthetics, mineral oil and ATF.

Oil stabilizers are typically used on big rig trucks and in race cars. I got this information from a website selling their brand of oil stabilizer.

Now that you read this stop an think you change your oil every 2500 or 5000 miles. Right so is your oil really dirt or is the oil life over?
It says it good for new motors and clings to part. Isn't that what your oil does now?
Snake oil is what it is.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I wouldn't add it. In my mind, adding an oil additive to engine oil is like adding flour to water then trying to suck it up through a straw. The gears in your tranny may be quieter because the additive makes the oil thicker and it sticks to the teeth better, but to have it still easily pumped up to the top of the cylinder heads..... well, your choice. You may be gaining in one area, but losing in another.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
I have read a lot (not forum dribble) about motor oils. The consensus is that motor oil contains a precise blend of additives and adding ANYTHING to that oil throws off that delicate balance. An analogy would be that motor oil is like a cake recipe...if it calls for two eggs, three eggs aren't better - you'll ruin the cake. Don't ruin your cake. If you have doubts about your oil, change it more often. Hey, that's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
357 Posts
HAvent used this in my bikes but use it in my Jeep and it saved my motor when I knocked a hole in my oil filter.
Not sure if it is formulated for a wet clutch.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use it in everything I have that has an engine. I'm not a big fan of their regular oil stabilizer but I think their Synthetic stabilizer is a great product. I've used it in my XC since it had 600 miles on it (10k now) and I used it in my Vegas the whole time I owned that bike also. I've never experienced any clutch slippage on either bike. It really quiets down the transmission and also makes it shift so easily you clutchless shift it if you wanted but that is very NOT recommended, just saying it's capable. Also finds neutral very easy and my bike's a '10 that doesn't have the 'neutral finder' that the '11's have and is also supposed to have a noisy 4th gear according to a lot of guys but my 4th gear doesn't sound any different from the rest (no unusual noise). You don't need 10% for it to work good. About 8oz is all that's needed for great results in a Vic motor. Half a quart to a 4 or five qt oil change in a car/pickup engine is plenty. I've found with this product that if you use to much it can cause temporary oil consumtion until you get the ratio right. Seen that in my Vegas and also my Dad's semi-truck. Get the ratio right it's a great product. I've been using Mobil 1--5W40 Turbo Diesel Oil in my XC with this additive and I'm very happy with the combination. Nay Sayers........... say away.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey guys, I raced drag boats for years, I was sponsored by Lucas Oil. I got as much product as I wanted for free, and probably still could. But, I wouldn't use the stabilizer in my bike. Not saying that it's a bad product at all,I used it alot in my motor. A 565" Chevy/11* headed deal that made 1224 hp at 7400 rpm with 0w20 pro stock oil from Lucas Oil. But it didn't have a little bitty wet clutch in it. Not saying it won't live, just saying it has lots of friction modifiers in it, and I wouldn't use it in my bike. That is all.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I havent used the Synthetic stabiliser (yet)
However I do use the dino stabiliser in my Vegas to slow oil consumption since going big bore with forged pistons.
now have over 30,000 miles on that engine since bore and cam went in and I usually end up adding around a quart in stages at checks during its 5000 mile change interval.
Thats with adding half a quart stabiliser at change time.
Without the stabiliser it would use more...
Its just a bit of insurance for the engine, it gets ridden hard and occasional dragstrip use where it sees 6000rpm or more.

I tried full synthetic oil for a while and while it was okay on the street , I found on the strip the gears werent upchanging properly consistently so I went back to a Penrite semi-syn diesel 15-50 plus the dino oil stabiliser.
It works...simple.

The Cross Country Ive just bought has around 55,000 miles on it and has been Victory serviced all its life on Victory oil.
Its due for a change in a another coupla thousand, though Ill probably do it after I do the cams, filter, and exhaust mods and before it goes on the dyno.
Will either go to Penrite 15-50 semi-syn diesel
or Penrite Full Syn (Jaso Ma)
I daresay itll get a few runs on the strip after the mods so Ill stick to the Semi for that.
Was gonna try and get a few comparison runs in at Stage One but theres no Test n Tune dates till very late March, so thats out.

EDIT ..ooooohhh looks like Ive exhumed an old oil thread from 2012!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
EDIT ..ooooohhh looks like Ive exhumed an old oil thread from 2012!!!
Doesn't matter MBX! I'll be intersted in hearing your findings with the cam and breathing work on your XC.

And another vote for the Diesel 15. I run it in the XCT, the Harley, the Aprilia, the Honda Four, the SV1000, the ute - just about everything!

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Doesn't matter MBX! I'll be intersted in hearing your findings with the cam and breathing work on your XC.

And another vote for the Diesel 15. I run it in the XCT, the Harley, the Aprilia, the Honda Four, the SV1000, the ute - just about everything!
Yeah its good stuff the Penrite Diesel 15-50
I usually buy the ten litre when its on special at either Supercheap ,Repco, or Autobarn, it comes onto special fairly frequently at one or more,
and I get 2 changes with top-ups from 10 litres.
Looking at all the stuff you use it in youre possibly buying in 20 or 60 litre drums.
I really should be using it in my old 300D Benz 5cyl Turbo diesel daily drive car ,its got almost 600,000 kms on it and I usually buy the cheapest cheap mineral diesel I can get for it.
The 455 in the Buick Skylark GS Stage 1 runs Penrite 20-60 mineral, bought when its on special too .
As the Buick sees infrequent runs and hard dragstrip usage I change it fairly often.
It runs forged pistons and uses a bit of oil too so the other half of the Lucas or Moreys Oil Stabiliser goes into that, just for a little insurance.

As for the cam and breathing Im looking forward to getting some real grunt outta the XC as its chalk n cheese jumping from one to the other at the moment.
Though the corner carving prowess of the XC makes up for its lack of balls...sort of.
Theyre a different animal really, the XC will be my distance bike and the Vegas for local and dragstrip use.
Fred at ProCycle is buying in the Maximus system mid to late March , and Im off to Phillip Island to volunteer flag marshall at the Historic Car racing next weekend , fly out Thurs and land back Tues arvo

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Stupid question...
If Lucas is supposed to be THE BEST OIL, why would it need a 'stabilizer' added to it? Is it somehow unstable? The whole concept of an added stabilizer is ridiculous if you claim your oil is the best oil.

Let that sink in....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looking at all the stuff you use it in youre possibly buying in 20 or 60 litre drums.
No mate I just buy the 10 litre drums whenever it comes up on a good special at Supercheap Auto. Always seem to have about six drums of it sitting around. Enjoy the Island!

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Stupid question...
If Lucas is supposed to be THE BEST OIL, why would it need a 'stabilizer' added to it? Is it somehow unstable? The whole concept of an added stabilizer is ridiculous if you claim your oil is the best oil.

Let that sink in....
Youre misquoting me

I dont use Lucas oil.
I use Penrite oil.
Penrite is the best oil for Australian conditions.
.thats just my opinion.
We dont get sub-zero temps.

I know for a fact the Lucas or Moreys product works cos Ive been using it in cars n bikes that use oil for many years...it works.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Youre misquoting me

I dont use Lucas oil.
I use Penrite oil.
Penrite is the best oil for Australian conditions.
.thats just my opinion.
We dont get sub-zero temps.

I know for a fact the Lucas or Moreys product works cos Ive been using it in cars n bikes that use oil for many years...it works.
I didn't mention you or quote you...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts