Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This guy was riding along on his motorcycle when he got the dreaded "tankslapper" handlebar wobble. See what happens next. He either used up all his good luck for life or he should buy a lottery ticket. This is for real; not some stunt man.

https://www.facebook.com/truck180/videos/163149217724010/

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you right click on the youtube link and go to that page; they talk about how this happened in his case. There are lots of ways and reasons a tankslapper can happen though. It isn't just one or even a few things.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
It appears to me that he was trying to fight that wobble and that's the wrong thing to do. You resist fighting it, keep arm muscles loose and slowly ease off the throttle. I know that works cuz I had to use it back when my '83 Yamaha Venture was new and didn't have things dialed in. I was doing about 90 per in a rather tight right hander on an Interstate when it began to wobble. Fortunately, I kept my head about me and pulled us out of it.
This was not uncommon in those first Ventures and the cure was a fork brace, and not too much air in the front suspension. Also, a different front tire helped a lot.
After seeing that, I feel justified that I wear Kevlar lined riding pants with knee armor. Fortunately, I have yet to put it to the test and willingly keep postponing it. In case your wondering, I find 'em more comfortable than jeans and the knee armor helps to keep 'em warm on cold rides.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did he go under and through the trailer? Wow.

Fort Worth, TX | 2010 Victory Cross Roads

1 - 5 of 5 Posts